The minutes presented below
are unapproved , subject to corrections
and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or
additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer,
wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town
Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.
Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.
TOWN OF FAIRFAX
SELECTBOARD MEETING MINUTES
MONDAY, November 14, 2011
FAIRFAX TOWN OFFICE - 7:00 PM
Selectboard Members Present: Bill Ormerod, Bob Horr, Randy DeVine and Chris Santee. Peter King arrived at 7:37 PM.
Public Present: Sam Hudson, resident and Kevin Bushey, Franklin County Sheriff’s Office.
Call to Order: Bill called the meeting to order at 6:57 PM.
7:00 PM - Kevin Bushey, Detective Sergeant, FCSO
Kevin came in this evening to give the Selectboard a first-hand report of recent activity in town. He has instructed the deputies to step-up speed enforcement on Main Street and to patrol the back roads. He reported that 30 traffic tickets were issued for the month of October. The patrol schedule has been adjusted to accommodate some daytime patrol in the village as well. He has been working closely with the Vermont State Police in a joint investigation of the recent burglaries. He has been spending a considerable amount of time in town conducting surveillance during the day and night-time hours. Sam Hudson expressed his concerns with the morning and early evening work traffic when people are going to and coming from work. The Board thanked Kevin for what he and the Sheriff’s office are doing for the Town of Fairfax.
Chris made a motion approve the minutes as written.
Randy seconded the motion. Discussion: None. Motion carries.
Purchase Orders/SB Orders: Randy reviewed the orders.
1. Health Insurance: Various options were reviewed along with the cost to the town and employee. The Board unanimously agreed upon the BCBS HAS BlueCare. The Board will contact VLCT to conduct a presentation for the Board and employees. Short term disability was also discussed.
2. Employee Policy Review: A review of the current policy took place with changes made to the increments of time taken a half day to 2 hour increments for vacation, sick and personal paid time off. Healthcare: The Town encourages employees to recruit a health advocate. Uniforms shall include, but not limited to, the Utility Department (water and sewer) employees.
3. Town Report printing quotes were reviewed.
*Bob made a motion to award the printing contract to Hardcopy for $2,250.00. Peter seconded the motion. Motion carries. Vote: 4-0-1.
4. A letter from a concerned resident regarding the current condition of Mudgett Cemetery. The Board will meet with the Cemetery Chair to find out why the cemetery hasn’t been maintained. We will send a follow-up letter to the concerned resident of our plan of action.
5. An invoice from the Franklin County Sheriff’s Department budgeting for dispatching was reviewed and a discussion took place.
6. IVS Mapping: We are not the only town that had a contract with IVS which has not been honored. We will continue discussion on this at a later date.
7. The Board received two letters from the Fairfax Rescue, dated November 8, 2011. They asked the Board to consider waiving the fees associated with the water & sewer application, water and sewer connection fees, as well as the building permit fee for their new building.
Motion 1: *Chris made a motion to approve waiving the water and sewer application fees. Bob seconded the motion. Motion carries. Vote: 4-0-1.
Motion 2: *Peter made a motion to waive the connection associated with the water and sewer. Bob seconded the motion. The motion carried. Vote 4-0-1.
The Rescue Department also asked to waive the fees associated with upcoming DRB hearings. The Board decided to wait on making a decision on this at this time.
9. The vacant position in the lister’s office as well as the vacant constable position was discussed.
9:00 PM - Executive Session:
*Bob made a motion to enter into executive session to discuss a legal issue and an employee matter, without the administrative assistant present. Peter seconded the motion. The motion carries. Vote 4-0-1.
9:30 PM Bob made a motion to exit executive session; seconded by Chris.
Motion carries. Vote 4-0-1
9:30 PM – Bob made a motion to adjourn; seconded by Randy. The motion carries. Vote: 4-0-1.
Respectfully, submitted by Stacy Wells, Adm. Asst.
William Ormerod, Chair