The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Fairfax Selectboard Minutes of 10/13/08

Selectboard Members present: Judy Cleary, Bill Ormerod, Charlie Swanson, Randy DeVine and Bob Horr. Staff Members present: Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard, Don Pigeon, Road Foreman, and Katrina Antonovich, Parks and Recreation Director. Public Present: Melissa Beerworth, and Paul Lavallee

1.Call to Order

Judy Cleary, Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 7:00PM.

2. Minutes

A. Charlie motioned to accept the minutes from the meeting on October 6, 2008, as written. Bob seconded. Bill asked for clarification on lines 28 & 29. He believes that Donna Meunier indicated that she will be resigning on January 30, 2009. Bill would like Erin to consult the recording and clarify the statement that Donna made. None of the board members voted in favor of accepting the minutes from October 6th as written. This motion did not pass.

B. Bob motioned to table the minutes until the board has more information on item 3A of the minutes from October 6th. Bill seconded. All board members voted in favor. The motion passed; the minutes will be tabled until the board has more information.

3. Items on the Agenda

A. Don Pigeon - Don reviewed an Access Permit application from Jeff Meunier. Don indicated that a 15" culvert is required. Don informed the board that the speed cart from the Sheriff's Department has been placed in a couple of locations around Town.

B. Randy Devine - Randy gave the board a summary of activities for last week including, but not limited to: read water meters, located a water main on Old Academy Street, responded to a call about a leaking water pipe on Parker Road, which Randy determined was not the responsibility of the Town, and tended to a water leak on Buck Hollow Road. Randy noted that water usage has gone done since he fixed the leak. Randy has signed and faxed the contract from Liquivision for cleaning the water tanks.

Judy asked Randy if he has seen any information about classes for Paul Langelier. Randy indicated that he has only seen information about the Sacramento course, which is a difficult course. Randy would like Paul to take classes on water first.

Randy and the board reviewed the Sewer Allocation list. Randy distributed the Sewer Status Report and supporting documentation. The following applications were reviewed: Fairfax Investments, with a request of 3000 gallons for 10 condo units, Jim Meunier, for the Mountain View Apartments, with a request for 525 gallons for 5 1-bedroom units, and Bernard and Dorothy Keefe, with a request for 210 gallons for a single-family home.

Charlie motioned to award preliminary sewer allocations to Fairfax Investments, Jim Meunier, and Bernard Keefe. Bill seconded. All board members voted in favor. All of the board members signed the applications.

C. Katrina Antonovich - Katrina is beginning to plan for next year. Katrina would like to get a sense of where the board believes the Recreation Department is going. Bob asked Katrina what the School Directors' perception of the Recreation Department is.

Katrina referred to the Memorandum of Understanding between the Town and the School. She has reviewed the contents of the agreement with representatives from the school in order to understand what the School's responsibilities are as well as the Town's. Katrina indicated that she has done extensive research and has learned that most of the Recreation Departments are either under the direction of the Town or the School, but not both.

Katrina indicated that the Recreation Department is growing, and the community is very much interested in having more recreation programs. She believes that the Recreation Department needs by-laws and a board of independent members of the community, instead of liaisons. Katrina would like clarification on who would direct the board she would like to set up.

Katrina and the board discussed her concerns about the fields after football moves from the fields on McNall Road. Katrina informed the board that she believes that the football goals should be removable, rather than stationary. Katrina informed the board that removable goals will cost between $4,000 - $8,000.

Katrina and the board discussed the multi-use of the lower Recreation Field. Katrina indicated that the field must have down time to be suitable for all sports.

Katrina clarified that the two fields off the access road belong to the school. She would like clarification on the maintenance of these fields. The Selectboard and the School board will be conducting a joint meeting in the near future. Judy will contact Peg Stewart to schedule a date and time for the joint meeting.

D. Dean Potter - Dean informed the board that he met with Efficiency Vermont on Friday. He indicated that he will need to replace the 2 furnaces he has budgeted for. He also informed the board that all of the funds that were budgeted for fuel have been spent.

The board would like Dean to work on projected costs for capital expenses for inclusion in the Capital Budget Plan.

Bob indicated that he has spoken with Dean about purchasing a new Fire Truck. Dean would like his budget to include a line item for funds for equipment replacement. Dean and the board discussed options for purchasing a new Fire Truck. Dean indicated that he does receive mailings about demo trucks that are available for sale for less than a new truck. Bill suggested that one of the warned articles to be voted on at Town Meeting could be used for funds for a new truck; in addition, a line item could be included in the Fire Department's budget for equipment replacement.

4. Other Business

A. The board reviewed the conditional approval from FEMA for the Hazard Mitigation Plan. Bill referred to Section 9 on page A-7 of the comments from FEMA. Bill would like Erin to contact Shaun Coleman at Northwest Regional Planning and ask whether the approval process would start again if the section is revised.

B. Mike Cain, the President of the Historical Society, submitted a request to use the Fire Station to commemorate the 60th anniversary for the Fire Department.

Bill motioned to allow the Historical Society to use the Fire Station on Sunday, November 16th, at 2:00PM. Randy seconded. All board members voted in favor.

C. Judy informed the board that a resident expressed concern about the graffiti on the Goose Pond bridge. Bill offered to paint over the graffiti.

D. The board discussed the VLCT PACIF insurance renewal application. Erin will contact VLCT regarding coverage for the Town well.

E. Bill indicated that the Sheriff's Department will be available for traffic control on Election Day.

F. Bill informed the board that the Safe Routes to School Local Concerns meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 14th, at 7:30PM.

G. Bob motioned to have Erin contact Jason Cloutier at the Agency of Transportation to discuss whether the board should be working on the Trevor Campbell matter in parallel. If it is affirmative, then the Sheriff should be contacted to issue a summons for destroying public property. Bill seconded. 4 board members voted in favor, and one board member was opposed.

5. Public Input

Paul Lavallee asked how he can get a new recycle bin. Recycle bins (one per household) are available at the Town Office between the hours of 9:00AM-4:00PM.

6. Executive Session

There was no Executive Session this evening.

7. Adjournment

Bob motioned to adjourn the meeting at 9:55PM. Randy seconded. All board members voted in favor. The meeting was adjourned at 9:55PM.

Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard


The above minutes are unapproved , subject to amendment.

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index