The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Fairfax Selectboard Minutes of 09/08/08

Selectboard Members present: Judy Cleary, Bill Ormerod, Randy DeVine and Bob Horr. Staff Members present: Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard, Don Pigeon, Road Foreman, and Skip Taylor, Zoning Administrator. Public Present: Linda Corey, Paul Lavallee, Bob Gray, Peter King, and Melissa Beerworth

1.Call to Order

Judy Cleary, Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 7:01PM.

2. Minutes

A. Bob motioned to accept the minutes from the meeting on August 25, 2008, as written. Bill seconded. 3 board members voted in favor, and one board member abstained.

3. Items on the Agenda

A. Don Pigeon- Don informed the board that he and Erin worked on the Better Backroads Grant application with Linda Bodette. The application is being submitted for funding for a proposed bank stabilization project on River Road.

Don also informed the board that Chris LaBerge from VLCT did a complete an on-site inspection of the Town Garage and equipment; Chris also observed the Road Crew while they worked.

Don informed the board that a driver of a Mac Tool truck hit the covered bridge last week. The driver was located and a bill has been sent to the company. Don and DJ Leach fixed the damage to the bridge. Don indicated that Justin Brown would like to stain the covered bridge. Don will provide the materials for Justin.

Don indicated that DJ Leach will have a Worker's Compensation claim after an accident at the Town Garage.

Don will contact VLCT to get information for compiling a cost analysis to compare the cost of maintaining a paved road versus maintaining a gravel road.

B. Randy DeVine- Randy reviewed the following reports for July 2008: Permit Monitoring Information, the Operations Report for Aerated Lagoons, the Phosphorus Monitoring Report, and the Sewer Discharge Report.

Randy has received quotes from Liquid Vision Technology and New England Tank to clean the water reservoir tanks. Randy reviewed the quotes and noted the differences between the two. By consensus, the board would like Randy to ask New England Tank if they could clean one tank at a time, and whether the quote would still be valid as stated, as there would be 2 visits.

Randy discussed the Ground Water Rule Initial Notification; he indicated that it has to be in place by December of 2009. He anticipates that the Vermont Rural Water Association will have training on this.

C. Skip Taylor - Skip and the board reviewed an Activity Report for August 18th- September 8th. Skip indicated that he has had correspondence with Godfrey Stephen, the owner of the property at 8 Boissoneault Road, and Jeff McMahon, who works for the State regarding the permits necessary to change the use of the property. Godfrey Stephen indicated that he will be taking the steps necessary to obtain a State permit. Skip reviewed an e-mail he received from a representative from Fairpoint regarding a meeting with Trevor Campbell.

4. Other Business

A. Erin will forward the Zoning Administrator's job description to the DRB and the Planning Commission.

B. The board reviewed the petition that has been submitted on behalf of residents on Meade Road who do not want the road paved. The board returned the petitions to Linda Corey, who submitted the petition, so that she can obtain a majority of the signatures of the residents on the roads. She asked the board who decides what roads should be paved. Bill indicated that Don Pigeon creates an anticipated paving schedule, which is reviewed in January when the board works on the Town budget. Bob Gray asked the board if the Town no longer owns a grader. Bob indicated that he has seen the Road Crew use a loader instead of a grader to maintain the Town roads. Bill indicated that the Town does still own a grader. Bob Horr indicated that the Road Crew has used the loader to put stone down in order to patch spots that need attention. He stated that he would like Sam Webb Road to be paved to have a better surface to drive on, but he does not want it paved because speed will increase. Bill will contact Sheriff Norris and ask that Sam Webb road be part of the Sheriff's Department's patrol.

C. Bill asked Randy if the outstanding bills for water and sewer have been paid for 1204 Main Street. Randy indicated that the outstanding bills have been paid in full.

D. Bill informed the board that he attended a Community Advisory Board meeting on September 2nd.

E. The board discussed whether the Town should hire an Animal Control Officer.

F. Erin will get a fee schedule for the disposal of hazardous materials from Chittenden Solid Waste District.

G. Erin will contact Peg Stewart to find out when the School Board would like to hold a joint meeting with the Selectboard.

5. Public Input

A. Paul Lavallee asked the board who created the summary of the proposed sidewalk project if the Town is awarded a Transportation Enhancement grant. Bill informed Paul that he created the summary and used it to give a presentation to the Northwest Regional Planning Commission. Paul asked about the relocation of the utility poles. Bill indicated that if the poles are in VTran's right of way, then VTrans will bear the cost. Paul asked what the line item for mobilization is for. Bill indicated that mobilization includes moving heavy equipment to and from the site.

Paul asked if the 20 MPH sign on Hunt Street could be fixed so it is not an obstruction to people walking on the sidewalk.

B. Melissa Beerworth asked if the water that is drained to clean the storage tanks could be stored so it does not go to waste. Randy informed Melissa that the water can not be transferred due to the chance of contamination. Melissa also asked who does the annual meter reading in October. Randy informed her that last year, Randy, Judy, and Mildred Warren read the meters.

C. Melissa Beerworth asked the board if the Town receives revenue from traffic fines that are collected. Bill informed her that the Town receives a portion of the fine only if the violation occurred on a Town road.

6. Executive Session

A. Bill motioned to enter Executive Session to discuss pending litigation at 8:40PM. Bob seconded. All board members voted in favor.

B. The board returned to public session at 9:13PM.

7. Adjournment

Bill motioned to adjourn the meeting at 9:58PM. Bob seconded. All board members voted in favor. The meeting was adjourned at 9:58PM.

Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard



The above minutes are unapproved , subject to amendment.

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index