The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Fairfax Selectboard Minutes of 08/21/06

Selectboard members Jeff Blake, Charlie Swanson, Judy Cleary, Bill Ormerod, and Doug Webb were present at the meeting. Also present were Erin McSweeney, Don Pigeon, Randy DeVine, and Skip Taylor Please see attached sign in sheet for additional community members present . These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board at the next regularly scheduled Selectboard meeting.

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm. Don informed that board that he started drawing sand today. He will be using Reggie Smith's sand instead of Robbie Nuzzo's for the time being, as it is available now. Don anticipates he will be drawing sand until October. Reggie Smith's sand is $4.50 per yard, which is cheaper than Robbie Nuzzo's, but there are limited quantities.

Jeff informed Don that he has received a proposal from Aulis Concrete for the footings for the River Road project. He informed the board that Dave Aulis is requiring a 25% deposit so that he can order the rebar. Jeff also received a proposal from Blow and Cote for the pilings.

Charlie motioned to issue a check to Aulis Concrete for $9,750.00 for rebar for the River Road project. Bill seconded. All board members voted in favor.

Charlie motioned to issue a check to CSI for $14,198.00, 25% of the total for the con/span bridge for the River Road project. Judy seconded. All board members voted in favor.

Randy interpreted the monthly Permit Monitoring Report and the Sewer Discharge Report for July 2006. Randy also informed the board that he has 2 appointments this week with engineering firms making site visits for the WWTF Expansion feasibility study Request for Proposals. Randy also informed the board that he received a call from Gabe Handy regarding the number of water meters he needs for the Workman project. Jeff would like Gabe to come before the board, as further discussion is needed. Erin will call Gabe and ask him if he will be able to attend next week's meeting. Randy also distributed a chart he created of all the manholes in town.

Skip Taylor distributed an activity report for August 1, 2006 thru August 21, 2006. During this period, there were 4 Building Permits, 6 Certificates of Compliance, and 1 Certificate of Occupancy. Skip informed the board that the Planning Commission is still working through the suggestions to the Zoning By-Laws submitted by the Selectboard. The DRB is reviewing the written recommendations from Catherine Dimitruck from NWRPC.

Carolyn Branagan attended the meeting to inform the board about 2 grants that are available. Both were forwarded to Carol Lizotte. Also, Carolyn informed the board that there are some upcoming workshops about stormwater and flood mitigation.

Charlie motioned to accept the minutes with one amendment. Judy seconded. 4 board members voted in favor of accepting the minutes with one amendment. 1 board member abstained.

Charlie chose a name for a new road last week. Because the name chosen sounds similar to 2 other roads in town, Charlie chose another name. Charlie motioned to rescind his motion of last week choosing Sugar Heights Road as the name of the new road. Judy seconded. All board members in favor. Charlie motioned to name the new road Wiggins Road. Judy seconded. All board members in favor of naming the new road Wiggins Road.

A new road name application was submitted the board by Jeff Minor. Judy motioned to name the new road Colton Road. Charlie seconded. All board members voted in favor.

The Listers submitted a correction request form for an error to the Grand List. Doug motioned to authorize the Listers to make the change requested. Judy seconded. All board members voted in favor.

The board reviewed an invoice from Ruggiano Engineering for the River Road project. This invoice is dated after the board terminated Ruggiano's agreement for services with the town. Bill recommended reviewing all previous invoices from Ruggiano looking for charges for structural design. Structural design drawings were never submitted to the Town. Bill made the motion to not pay any invoices dated after 8/10/06, the date of termination of services. Judy seconded. 4 board members voted in favor, and 1 board member abstained.

OTHER BUSINESS: The board will discuss orphan stormwater systems next week. Jeff discussed the Historic Preservation / Downtown Program. He informed the board that the application process is more involved than was originally thought. Erin will work on this as there are a few questions she will ask the program coordinator. Carol Lizotte submitted a written request for signs for Mountain View Road (private road) indicating there is no park access to the lower athletic fields. Carol has been informed that out of town spectators have been using this private road to access the new fields. Charlie will make a site visit.
Bill tended to an issue with dogs in town. He will draft a letter to the owner. Bill also followed up on his visit to Elaine Kirkpatrick's home after she expressed concern about flooding on Stone's Brook to Carolyn Branagan. He informed the board that Stone's Brook is not able to be included in the Flood Monitoring program. Bill informed the board he will do more research on the topic.

Judy informed the board there is a meeting of the Library Trustees this Thursday.

PUBLIC INPUT: Colleen Steen gave the board an update on the Safe Routes to School grant that was awarded to the Town. She offered the board information on when funding will take place for this grant.

Elaine Kirkpatrick also attended this evening's meeting. She expressed her concerns about Stone's Brook and flooding on her property. She wanted to know if there is some way the Town can notify her if the beaver dams in Fletcher break so that she can leave her home in time. Charlie informed her that he and Don have discussed taking a culvert from River Road that will no longer be needed once the con/span bridge is in place and putting it up on her property to alleviate the flooding on her property.


____________________________________ Erin McSweeney, Selectboard Administrator

The above minutes are unapproved , subject to amendment.

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index