The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Fairfax Selectboard Minutes of 08/04/08

Selectboard Members present: Judy Cleary, Bill Ormerod, Charlie Swanson, Bob Horr, and Randy DeVine. Staff Members present: Don Pigeon, Road Foreman, and Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard. Public Present: Dianne Henning, Guy Henning, Inge White, Peg Stewart, Peter King, Melissa Beerworth, Chris Santee, Mark Hunziker, Barbara Murphy, Gary Gilbert, and Peg Bushey.

1.Call to Order

Judy Cleary, Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 7:01PM.

2. Minutes

Bob motioned to accept the minutes from the meeting on July 28, 2008. Randy seconded. Randy offered one amendment. Bob motioned to approve the minutes as amended. Randy seconded. 3 board members voted in favor, and 2 board members abstained.

3. Items on the Agenda

A. Dianne Henning- Dianne presented a petition on behalf of the residents who live in the vicinity of 1166 Main Street (near the intersection of Hunt Street). The property is currently zoned as a single family home; the owner of the property has been renting rooms. Skip Taylor, Zoning Administrator, issued a notice of violation, to which the owner appealed. A DRB hearing was held on July 16th ; by state statute, the DRB has 45 days to deliberate. Dianne indicated that she would like to receive a notice of decision. Erin will forward a copy of the petition to the DRB.

B. Don Pigeon - Don discussed the opportunity to apply for a pre-hazard mitigation grant from FEMA. The board had considered applying for the grant for use on Chaffee Road, as it is prone to flood damage. Both Don and Bob have spoken with Randy Reed of VTrans; he suggested that the Town should submit a written request to the State for a Hydraulic Study and a Size of Structure Study. Bob has also spoken with Shaun Coleman of Northwest Regional Planning.

Erin will write a letter to Elaine Kirkpatrick asking her to submit an estimate of the costs she has incurred while repairing damage from flooding.

Don indicated that he would like to contract with 2 salt vendors. The Road Crew has finished hauling winter sand; Don indicated that the highway budget is lacking funds to pay for the sand and for fuel. The board would like to review what funds are available with Donna Meunier on August 18th.

C. Randy DeVine - Randy distributed the revised Sewer Discharge Report for June 2008, and the Vermont Monthly Water System Operations Report for July 2008.

2008. He has also inspected the sewer connection for 4 of Gabe Handy's and 2 of Armand Turner's lots on Old Academy Street.

D. Public Hearing for the Transportation Enhancement Grant application - The Selectboard held a public hearing to invite public comment regarding the board's intent to apply for a Transportation Enhancement Grant from the Vermont Agency of Transportation. If the grant funds are awarded, 2900 feet of sidewalks would be installed on the west side of Main Street / Route 104 from the top of Hunt Street to just past Fairfax Physical Therapy. The goal of the project is to increase pedestrian safety in the village. The Transportation Enhancement grant would be used in conjunction with the Safe Routes to School grant that has been awarded to the Town.

Melissa Beerworth asked the board why concrete would be used instead of asphalt for the sidewalks. Charlie indicated that concrete is more durable. Melissa also asked how much money is currently in the sidewalk fund. Bill indicated that there is approximately $9,000 in the fund. Peter King advised that a provision should be included in the plan to address the maintenance of any green space.

Mark Hunziker asked if there is a master plan for installing sidewalks in Town. Bill indicated that the board's ultimate goal is to install sidewalks closest to the school first, then move to areas beyond the vicinity of the school. Bill informed those present that the Town was awarded a $30,000 grant as part of the Safe Routes to School program for an engineering study around the school. Barbara Murphy noted that it is important to focus not only on the area around the school, but the area around the newly built adult living community building; the residents of the building will be looking for safe ways to access Town resources. Barbara also noted that sidewalks are important because people are looking for alternative ways to get around Town.

Peg Bushey asked the board if a portion of the impact fees from new homes can be allotted to the sidewalk fund. Bill informed her that impact fees are used for expenses related to capital projects, as outlined in the Capital Budget Plan. The board is in the process of updating the plan.

4. Other Business

A. Bill would like Erin to contact Fire Chief Dean Potter and request that he contact Chris Boyd, the State Fire Marshall, regarding the boarding house at 1166 Main Street.

B. Bill distributed updated proposed budgets for the Utility Department. The board will review these next week.

C. The board signed a notice of correction from the Listers.

D. The board reviewed the job description for the Zoning Administrator. The board will review this and the job description for the Selectboard Administrative Assistant next week.

E. Bob indicated that he has spoken with Sheriff Norris regarding the fireworks on Brewster Road. Sheriff Norris will contact Lieutenant Evans of the State Police to discuss how fireworks should be addressed.

F. Randy received information from Efficiency Vermont offering a free lighting analysis. Erin will forward the information to Dean Potter.

G. Randy reviewed a quote he received from NE Tank for cleaning the storage tank at the WWTF.

H. The board would like Erin and Donna to work on the job description for the Assistant Town Clerk / Treasurer.

5. Public Input

A. Peg Stewart informed the board that another of the benches on the recreation path has ended up in the river. She also informed the board that the gate at the end of the recreation path near the cul-de-sac is missing a ballard.

The School board's retreat is on Wednesday. The board will be discussing the recreation area and the further use of school equipment.

B. Melissa Beerworth asked the board if it is possible to not re-do the sidewalks that are already in place on Main Street / Route 104. Bill informed her that the sidewalks that are there are not ADA compliant, and therefore, need to be redone. Melissa also asked who would mow the green space that Peter King referred to earlier in the evening. Bill informed her that the board has discussed hiring a service to do all of the landscaping maintenance at Town owned facilities.

6. Executive Session

A. Bill motioned to enter Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter with Erin McSweeney present at 8:05PM. Charlie seconded. All board members voted in favor.

B. The board returned to public session at 8:25PM.

C. Bob motioned to enter Executive Session to discuss a personnel matter with Erin McSweeney present at 8:26PM. Charlie seconded.

D. The board returned to public session at 8:40PM.

7. Adjournment

Bob motioned to adjourn the meeting at 9:45PM. Bill seconded. All board members voted in favor. The meeting was adjourned at 9:45PM.

Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard

The above minutes are unapproved , subject to amendment.

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index