The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Fairfax Selectboard Minutes of 06/09/08

Selectboard Members present: Judy Cleary, Bill Ormerod, Charlie Swanson, Randy DeVine, and Bob Horr. Staff Members present: Don Pigeon, Road Foreman, and Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard. Public Present: Robert Lalancette, Linda Corey, David Shea, and Michael & Lisa O'Day.

1.Call to Order

Judy Cleary, Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 7:00PM.

2. Minutes

Charlie motioned to accept the minutes from the meeting on June 9, 2008. Bill seconded. All board members voted in favor.

3. Items on the Agenda

A. Public Hearing - The Selectboard held a public hearing regarding laying out and discontinuing a portion of Comette Road. This project was completed in 2004, and no changes are proposed for this intersection at this time. Linda Corey asked what the purpose of the Public Hearing. Bill informed her that the intersection of Comette Road and Fletcher Road was re-aligned in 2004 in order to make the intersection safer. Once this public hearing takes place, the appropriate paperwork can be completed and filed in the Town Clerk's Office. Bob motioned to lay out and discontinue a portion of Comette Road. Randy seconded. All board members voted in favor.

B. Don Pigeon - Don and the board discussed a quote from All-Metals to remove the tires at the Town Garage. Don would like to get (2) 30 yard containers from All Metals Recycling so he can dispose of all of his large tires. Bob informed the board that All Metals has offered the following pricing for the service: $150 to deliver the dumpsters, $150 to remove them and $130 per ton of tires collected. Don estimated that he has about 6 tons of tires to be disposed of. $2500 has been allocated for tire removal in the municipal budget. Bill motioned to contract with All-Metals for (2) 30 yard dumpsters to remove tires at the Town Garage. Randy seconded. All board members voted in favor. Don anticipates that he will be ready for tire removal during the week of June 23rd.

Don informed the board that he is in the middle of paving; he will be paving a 2/10 of a mile section on: Nichols Road, Huntville Road, a section behind the school and Sam Webb Road.

Linda Corey and Robert Lalancette, residents of Sam Webb Road, attended tonight's meeting to present a petition to the board. The petition was signed
by residents of Sam Webb Road who do not want the road paved. Robert noted that blacktopping typically encourages speeding, retains heat and may
become slick in the winter; if salt is needed, the salt may run off into 2 wells that are located close to the road. Linda noted that a paved road will take away the rural character of the road. Bill indicated that it is more expensive to maintain a dirt road. The ultimate goal is to pave every Town road. The board will include the list of Town roads to be paved in the Town Report.

Don indicated that he could use the pavement that was allocated for Sam Webb Road on River Road, between the Fletcher Road intersection and Butler Road. Bob motioned to use the asphalt allocated to Sam Webb Road on River Road. Randy seconded. 4 board members voted in favor, and one board member was opposed.

C. Randy DeVine - Randy reviewed the Water System Operations Report and the Water Usage Summary for May. Randy gave a summary of activities for the week including, but not limited, to: composite sampling, water sampling, applying weed killer to lagoons 1& 3, and researching and ordering manhole riser rings. Randy informed the board that the Sanitary Survey of the Water System conducted by the Water Supply Division went well. Randy indicated that he will forward the Operation & Maintenance Manual to the State. He has until September 1st to do so. He indicated that the State was adamant that all water systems should have backflow prevention devices.

Randy followed up with Statewide Aquastore, formerly NE Tank. He has sent a water sample to them so they can check the corrosive character of the water.
Randy informed the board that he has fixed a leak on Buck Hollow Road.

D. David Shea of All-Metals Recycling- David attended tonight's meeting to discuss metal recycling at the Town Garage. The board reviewed his proposal. Judy asked David if the $500 donation toward security must be spent on security; David indicated that the $500 can be spent as the board pleases. David and the board discussed the types of containers that can be placed at the Town Garage for metal recycling. David noted that there are containers that can be locked at night. Bob suggested that the metal dumpster can be made available to the community on certain days, whether it is on a quarterly or monthly basis. The board will conduct a site visit to the Town Garage on June 23rd at 6:15PM. David indicated that he could have (2) 30 gallon dumpsters on site for tire removal on June 23rd.

4. Other Business

A. The board reviewed correspondence from Leon Belliveau. He owns the property on the corner of Hunt Street and Main Street. It was brought to the attention of Skip Taylor that Mr. Belliveau may have renters in his home; his home is currently zoned for a single-family home. Skip has issued a zoning violation. Skip met with Mr. Belliveau who informed him that he does in fact rent 2 rooms. Skip informed him that he is in violation of the Zoning By-Laws because he did not obtain a permit to have renters. Skip also informed Mr. Belliveau that, since the property is served by municipal water and sewer, he will need to re-apply for water and sewer allocations as it is a change in use, and he needs additional capacity.

B. The board discussed the Rose Hill subdivision at the end of Lawton Road. Bob informed the board that there will be 10 houses on the Fairfax side, and 2 houses on the Fletcher side. The board would like Bob to work with Fire Chief Dean Potter to draft a letter to the Town of Fletcher regarding accessibility to the subdivision by rescue vehicles.

C. The board discussed the Capital Budget Plan. Erin will contact David Spitz who worked on the current Capital Budget Plan for information on how to update some of the information in the plan.

D. The board discussed the Transportation Enhancement Grant. Erin has submitted a letter of intent to VTrans.

E. Erin has sent a Request for Proposal for trash service to the residents in Town to 9 different trash haulers. Proposals are due by the close of business on Friday, June 20th. Proposals will be reviewed at the Selectboard meeting on Monday, June 23rd.

F. Erin distributed drafts of the Town Plan. The Selectboard will hold public hearings regarding the draft of the Town Plan on Monday, August 25th, and Monday, September 22nd.

G. Bob will contact Sam Ruggiano for a letter of transmittal for the easements for the Fairfax Green Senior Housing project.

H. Bill informed the board that Shaun Coleman at Northwest Regional Planning is working on the Hazard Mitigation Plan.

5. Public Input

Mike and Lisa O'Day attended tonight's meeting to express concern regarding dogs running at large on Stewart Street. Mike and Lisa should file a formal written complaint with the Town.

6. Executive Session

Charlie motioned to enter Executive Session at 9:25PM to discuss a pending legal matter. Randy seconded. 4 board members voted in favor, and one abstained. Bob Horr recused himself at 9:25PM and left the meeting. The board returned to public session at Executive Session at 10:05PM.

7. Adjournment

Bill motioned to adjourn the meeting at 10:10PM. Randy seconded. The four board members who were present voted in favor. The meeting was adjourned at 10:10PM.

Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard


The above minutes are unapproved , subject to amendment.

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index