The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Fairfax Selectboard Minutes of 06/02/08

Selectboard Members present: Judy Cleary, Bill Ormerod, Charlie Swanson, Randy DeVine, and Bob Horr. Staff Members present: Don Pigeon, Road Foreman, and Katrina Antonovich, Parks and Recreation Director. Public Present: Chris Santee, Barbara Murphy, Bob Perry, Carolyn Branagan, and John Schraven.

1.Call to Order

Judy Cleary, Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 7:00PM.

2. Minutes

Bill motioned to accept the minutes from the meeting on May 19, 2008. Randy seconded. All board members voted in favor.

3. Items on the Agenda

A. Don Pigeon - Don informed the board that the pavers will be on-site on Tuesday to mark the roads they will be paving; he indicated that they may be able to begin paving on Thursday. He also informed the board that he will be putting down chloride for one more day.
Don has gotten many offers from vendors for winter sand. He hopes to draw from the same vendor that he used last year. If he is unable to draw from the vendor he used last year, he has other options in Jeffersonville and Highgate.

Don will contact Randy regarding digging on Hunt Street so Randy can install a manhole riser in preparation for paving.
Bob discussed recycling at the Town Garage and tire removal; there are funds allocated in the budget for the removal of tires. Bob has spoken with David Shea of All Metals Recycling; Bill advised that the board should see written quotes from potential vendors. Judy suggested that David should address the board at a future Selectboard meeting. Charlie asked Don about a purchase order for a fan for the backhoe. Don indicated that the fan was for the radiator in the backhoe.

B. Randy DeVine - Paul Langelier has completed his last week of training. Randy gave a summary of activities for the past couple of weeks including, but not limited to: showing Paul the process for refilling the chlorination tanks, tearing down and reassembling the trash pump, showing Paul the procedure for backwashing the system, cleaning the floats in the pump stations, maintenance on the electric motors at the Buck Hollow Booster Station, and the procedure for refilling the chlorination tank at the WWTF. Randy responded to an alarm at the Route 104 Pump Station. JP Electric informed Randy that the capacitor should be replaced. Randy informed the board that the electrical panel and the pump guide rails inside the wet well have rusted on the pump station at Nan's Mobil. JP Electric will be providing two quotes: one for a wet well, and one for an electrical panel.

A sanitary survey of the water system will be conducted by the State's Water Supply Division on Tuesday at 1:30PM. Randy has been checking to make sure things are in working order in preparation for this.

Andy Naylor, who has to do community service, was on-site on Friday afternoon.

Randy informed the board that the magnesium bars for corrosion control in the water tanks will need to be replaced. Randy will get a quote for this from NE Tank. Randy will be cleaning the water tanks; he will contact NE Tank to inspect them when this has been completed.

C. Katrina Antonovich, Parks & Recreation Director - Katrina updated the board about the events that are scheduled to take place at Fairfax Community Day on Saturday, June 7th. The day's activities include: a pancake breakfast, the ducky race, the bike parade, lunch, games, ultimate Frisbee, and a potluck dinner. The Fiddleheads will perform in the evening. A complete list of the day's events can be found on Henry Raymond's website at vtgrandpa.com under the "Upcoming Events" section, or by contacting Katrina.

Katrina asked the board if there is a specific waiver of liability form that she should be using for the Recreation Department's Fitness programs. She will follow up with Donna Meunier.

Katrina asked the board if she can assist with the Forest Management Plan in the 100 acre woods in North Fairfax. The woods are closed to the public until further notice. Bill indicated that the Plan is in the preliminary stages.

D. Bob Perry- Bob attended tonight's meeting to discuss the current contract that is in place between the Town and All-Cycle for trash service. All-Cycle is proposing a three-year contract when it renews in August. As part of All-Cycle's 3 year business plan, they would purchase recycle bins for all of the residences in Town. Also, if the Town signs a three-year contract, All-Cycle will not impose a fuel surcharge.

E. Representative Carolyn Branagan - Carolyn just completed her 6th year as State Representative for Fairfax and Georgia. The Legislative Session came to a close on Saturday, May 3rd. She indicated that the session ended with a balanced budget. She summarized some the changes that will occur as a result of the session.

She informed the board that she has spoken to Roger Whitcomb of VTrans regarding the Bridge #10 project. Roger indicated that work will not begin on the project until at least 2011. She indicated that one of the State's proposed detours, to construct a temporary bridge on Boissoneault Road, would cost approximately $500,000. Bill clarified that the board had suggested merely widening one side of Boissoneault Road, and not constructing a temporary bridge.

4. Other Business

A. The board reviewed the proposed Dog Bite Procedure from Peter King, the Town Health Officer. Bill motioned to accept the Dog Bite Procedure. Randy seconded. All board members voted in favor.

B. The board reviewed a proposed lease of the "White House." The lease is for 3 years; the school board can not lease a building for longer than that without voter approval. The school board proposed warning an additional 17 year lease to be voted on at Town Meeting making the total length of the lease 20 years. Judy will follow up with Peg Stewart regarding the lease.

C. Bill motioned to appoint Ann Lemieux to the Planning Commission as of June 2, 2008, to a full-term. Charlie seconded. 4 board members voted in favor, and one board member was opposed.

D. The board reviewed a Profit and Loss Report for the Utility Department. Bill suggested that the board should review the income and expenses for the last two years. Erin will follow up with Amy.

E. Judy asked the board for a status on the easements for the Fairfax Green Senior Housing project. Bob indicated that members of the board have reviewed multiple drafts of the easements; they are now being reviewed by Mr. Handy's Real Estate Attorney. Judy expressed concern that she has not seen the easements. She would like the easements to be put before the whole board and discussed at a regularly scheduled meeting.

F. Bob discussed the Fairfax Green Senior Housing project. He indicated that at the Selectboard meeting on May 14, 2007, there was a motion to pursue mediation, which passed by a vote of 4 in favor, and one opposed. Bill indicated that he did speak with the Town's Attorney regarding mediation after the motion was made. The items that were pending at the time stemmed from a mandatory injunction.

John Schraven, a resident of the community, has been involved in mediation. He indicated that in order for mediation to be successful, both sides have to be willing to participate. He explained the process of mediation.

G. Erin will contact the Town's Attorney regarding the Capital Budget Plan.

I. Judy informed the board that she and Bob went on the road tour with Don Pigeon. She discussed the subdivision that is being constructed at the end of Lawton Road; some of the homes will be located in Fairfax, and some will be located in Fletcher. Judy will follow up with Skip regarding the status of the project.

5. Public Input

John Schraven and the board continued the discussion about mediation. John provided names of people who mediate. Judy will contact Jim Carroll, a lawyer for VLCT PACIF, acting on behalf of the Town.

6. Adjournment

Bill motioned to adjourn the meeting at 9:43PM. Randy seconded. All board members voted in favor. The meeting was adjourned at 9:43PM.

Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard

The above minutes are unapproved , subject to amendment.

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index