The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Fairfax Selectboard Minutes of 05/19/08

Selectboard Members present: Judy Cleary, Bill Ormerod, Charlie Swanson, Randy DeVine, and Bob Horr. Staff Members present: Donna Meunier, Town Clerk & Treasurer, Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard, Skip Taylor, Zoning Administrator, and Don Pigeon, Road Foreman. Public Present: Peter King, Josh Langelier, David Brown, Kelly Crawford, and Jeff Clokey.

1.Call to Order

Judy Cleary, Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 7:00PM.

2. Minutes

Charlie motioned to accept the minutes from the meeting on May 12, 2008, as written. Randy seconded. Randy offered an amendment for line 15; the turbo was replaced, not repaired.

Bill offered an amendment for lines 33-36, regarding the changes to the Employee Policy. The changes to the healthcare portion should read: "For full time employees of the Town, the One person plan or the employee's portion of a Two person or Family plan will be paid at 100% by the Town. The Town will pay 90% of the premium price for the employee's spouse or family portion of the selected health care plan; with the remaining 10% to be paid by the employee."

Bob motioned to accept the minutes as amended on line 15, and lines 33-36. Charlie seconded. All board members voted in favor.

3. Items on the Agenda

A. Donna Meunier - Donna attended tonight's meeting to review the actual income and expenses for the year to date relative to the overall budget. Charlie noted that the Listers have expended almost all of the funds that have been allocated for mileage. Donna indicated that the Listers will be lodging the Grand List this week; they have spent the first part of the year visiting properties to make sure the Grand List will be accurate.

Bill asked Donna if the Office line item includes the $20,000 that has been budgeted for improvements to the electrical system at the Town Office. Donna indicated that the line item is not included in this report; she will add it.

Charlie asked Donna if the budget for printing will be exceeded. Donna indicated that the bulk of the printing expense is for the Town Report. The Town does not have to pay for the ballots for the federal election in November. Donna indicated that she does not anticipate having much extra income from the Zoning Office or from recording fees.

Donna indicated that she believes that the Highway Department will exceed its budget due to the rising cost of fuel; Bill indicated that the Fire Department may exceed its budget for the same reason, as there has been an increase in calls.

Bill noted that the $155,000 allocated for paving has not been spent yet.

Don indicated that he has not purchased the sand and chloride yet. He anticipates that he will be drawing sand beginning the 2nd or 3rd week of July until the 3rd week of August. He indicated that the price for the sand will be the same as last year if he is able to draw from the same vendor. However, he stated that he may have to draw from another vendor. He anticipates that he will be putting chloride down next week; he anticipates that the scheduled paving, with the exception of Fletcher Road, should be completed by the middle of June.

Don reviewed an Access Permit application from Giles and Carol Boissoneault. Don indicated that a 15" culvert needs to be installed, and brush needs to be cut for proper sight distance. Judy Cleary signed the application. Erin will forward it to Skip Taylor.

Don informed the board that he will be picking up the jackhammer that he allocated funds for.

A resident of the community has asked Don to install a mirror on Swamp Road in an attempt to improve visibility for drivers. Don has found a place to install it. Charlie suggested that Don should install the mirror in a place where the sun will not reflect off it. Don indicated that the mirror will cost $200.00; he has funds allocated for road signs that he can use to purchase the mirror.

In preparation for paving, Don will dig up a manhole on Hunt Street so Randy can put a riser on it.

B. Randy DeVine - Randy reviewed the following reports for the month of April: VT Monthly Water Operations Report, Water Usage Summary, Permit Monitoring Information, the Phosphorus Monitoring Report, and the Sewer Discharge Report. He informed the board that he had to do some work on Lagoon 1; it has been taken off-line to allow it to rest. The system is currently operating on 2 lagoons.

Randy and Paul Langelier cleaned the air lines; Randy indicated that he will have to replace some of the lines. He has been mowing the lawn at the WWTF and de-weeding the lagoons.

Randy informed the board that Paul Langelier will train for 3 days this week.

Bill asked Randy if the board should schedule Paul for a weekend; Paul could work when Randy is scheduled on the weekend of May 31st-June 1st. Randy could be available if Paul needs help.

Erin distributed Profit & Loss statements for the Utility Department. The board will review this at the next regularly scheduled Selectboard meeting, which will take place on Monday, June 2nd. There will be no meeting on Monday, May 26th, in observance of Memorial Day.

Bob congratulated Randy on obtaining his Wastewater Operator re-certification.

C. Skip Taylor, Zoning Administrator - Skip reviewed an activity report for April 22, 2008, through May 19, 2008. Skip indicated that he has spoken with Leon Belliveau about his property located at 1166 Main Street; he will be meeting with him on Thursday morning. Leon is currently renting 2 rooms in the building; the building is not zoned for this use. If Leon is going to continue renting rooms, he will have to apply for a zoning permit and additional municipal water and sewer allocations.

Skip discussed the report from Gomez and Sullivan Engineers regarding the CVPS Hydroelectric Dam. Skip and Erin will draft a response to CVPS and include a copy of the Flood Hazard Area Regulation ordinance and the Zoning By-Laws.

D. David Brown - David submitted a letter of interest to the board for the vacant seat on the Planning Commission. He moved to Fairfax recently, and would like the opportunity to know more about the Town and to meet members of the community. Bob gave David a synopsis of the function of the Planning Commission. Bill informed David that there are copies of the Zoning By-Laws and the Town
Plan, which the Planning Commission is currently revising, available in the Zoning Office.

E. Josh Langelier, Town Constable, and Peter King, Town Health Officer - Josh distributed an Activity Report detailing the calls he has responded to since his appointment in March. Peter distributed a proposed procedure for responding when a person has been bitten by a dog, and a copy of the report that should be filled out when an incident is reported. Peter indicated that the Town Constables should be the lead contact. If the Constables are unavailable, the Health Officer should be contacted. Bob indicated that law enforcement
should be a focal point in the chain of command.

Bill suggested that the report should indicate the date and time that the incident was reported.

Peter asked the board what the procedure should be if confinement is necessary. Randy stated that he believes home confinement is sufficient; when he was Constable, he visited the home on the 5th and 10th day to observe the health of the dog.

Josh asked how he should transport an animal if the need arises. Bill suggested that Josh should purchase a couple of cages, in case there is more than one dog involved; the cages can be stored at the Town Garage. Bob suggested that someone should accompany Josh if he has to pick up a dog. Josh informed the board that he has made multiple attempts to contact the Flanagan's on Wheezy Way; a formal complaint was lodged with the Town regarding their dogs; they are unlicensed, and run at large.

4. Other Business

A. The board reviewed a Road Name application from Bill Superneau for a new road across from the Town Garage on Fletcher Road. By consensus, the board chose Quincy Road for the name of the new road.

B. Members of the Selectboard and Don will go on a tour of Town roads on Thursday, May 22nd, beginning at 7:30AM.

C. The board signed a grant agreement for an engineering study that is part of the Safe Routes to School program. The program is 100% federally funded.

D. Bill signed a Transfer Tax Return on behalf of the board for the land transfer between the Town and the estate of Ralph Ellsworth.

E. The board reviewed an authorization from the Vermont Electric Co-op to install power poles on Cherrierville Road. Erin will contact Jeff Sikora of Apple Island Realty to ask him to submit a map of the proposed location for the poles.

F. The board reviewed an e-mail from Jill Quong, who owns property on Main Street. She asked the board whether an in-law apartment requires a re-application for a sewer allocation. After reviewing the Sewer Allocation and Connection ordinance, the board determined that an in-law apartment is a change in use, and therefore requires a re-application for a sewer allocation.

G. Randy asked Erin for updates on items she has followed up on, including the Capital Budget Plan, the information that Bill obtained from the Postmaster Regarding mailbox vandalism, the Public Notice regarding the Ellsworth property, the Public Notice for regarding the 100 acre woods, and the contract for trash removal with All-Cycle. Erin indicated that she will be sending out a Request for Proposal for trash service. Proposals are due by the close of business on June 20th. Bids will be opened at 7:00PM at the Selectboard
meeting on June 23rd.

H. Bill motioned to appoint David Brown to fill the seat vacated by Pat Hudson on the Planning Commission, effective May 19, 2008. Charlie seconded. All board members voted in favor.

I. The board reviewed a revised Employee Policy which included changes that Bill proposed to the healthcare and mileage sections. After some discussion, the mileage and healthcare sections were revised. Charlie motioned to approve the revised Employee Policy. Bob seconded. 3 members voted in favor, 1 board member was opposed, and one board member abstained.

5. Public Input

Kelly Crawford and Jeff Clokey attended tonight's meeting to find out the status of the preliminary sewer allocation application they submitted on January 17, 2008, for a proposed project located at 8 Huntville Road. Kelly indicated that she and Jeff are ready to proceed with the project; they can not obtain the required Wastewater Permit from the State without an approved sewer allocation from the Town.

By consensus, the board awarded a preliminary sewer allocation of 420 gallons for Kelly Crawford and Jeff Clokey's project located at 8 Huntville Road. The allocation will expire on May 19, 2010. Bill informed Kelly and Jeff that a well-driller's log is required, and sections 3.04 and 3.05 of the Sewer Allocation and Connection Ordinance apply.

By consensus, the board also awarded a preliminary sewer allocation to Bill Superneau for one single family home (210 gallons) for the Paige Estates project located across from Buck Hollow Road on Route 104.

6. Adjournment

Charlie motioned to adjourn the meeting at 10:09PM. Bob seconded. All board members voted in favor. The meeting was adjourned at 10:09PM.

Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard

The above minutes are unapproved , subject to amendment.

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index