The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Fairfax Selectboard Minutes of 03/10/08

Selectboard Members present: Bill Ormerod, Judy Cleary, Charlie Swanson, Randy DeVine, and Bob Horr. Staff Members present: Don Pigeon, Road Foreman, Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard, Donna Meunier, Town Clerk and Treasurer, Amy Sears of the Fairfax Utility Department, and Katrina Antonovich, Parks and Recreation Director. Public Present: Peter King, and Betty Poulin.

1.Call to Order

Bill Ormerod, Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 7:03PM. Charlie nominated Judy Cleary to be Chairperson of the Selectboard. Bill seconded. All members voted in favor. Judy Cleary is the Chairperson of the Selectboard.

2. Minutes

Bill motioned to accept the minutes from the meeting on March 3, 2008, as written. Charlie seconded. Erin indicated that she was contacted by a member of the community who proposed changes to the minutes from last week's meeting. Erin did not receive the changes in writing; for the sake of accuracy, it would be helpful to receive proposed changes in writing. Erin did try to contact the person, and was not successful. Bill indicated that, in general, it is up to the board to make recommendations on modifications and to approve or disapprove the minutes. Betty Poulin stated that she believes it is important to record what one says correctly in the minutes. Bill indicated that the minutes are not meant to be a transcript of the meeting, and should reflect the tone and content of the discussions held. Recordings of the meetings are available at the Town Office according to the Recordings policy.

Bill offered one amendment. Line #99 of the minutes should state the purpose of the Executive Session, which was to discuss a pending legal matter. All board members voted in favor of accepting the minutes as amended.

3. Items on the Agenda

A. Amy Sears, Fairfax Utility Department - Amy attended tonight's meeting to clarify how accounts #1271 Main and #1271-B Main should be billed. Amy discussed possible options for billing these accounts. The board reviewed information Amy distributed including a diagram Randy created detailing the set-up of the property, which consists of a house and a barn. Water for both the house and the barn is currently being supplied by a well. The water bond and the operation and maintenance charges are being charged to the house in order to keep its municipal water allocation. Randy indicated that meter can be turned around to meter the amount of water being used for the Town sewer for the house.

Bill motioned to assess all charges to the property to the #1271 Main account, and to zero out the charges to the #1271-B Main account. Charlie seconded. Bob asked if it can be documented on the account that the meters have been reversed. Amy indicated that she can note this on the account in the software. Randy suggested that both accounts could be left open; the house account would be charged the water bond fee of $28 per quarter and $13 for operations and maintenance, and the barn account would be charged $35 for the sewer to the house. Amy indicated that the property owners expressed concern over billing this way because the barn should not be charged sewer. If the barn is not being charged for water, the barn account will become inactive. Randy indicated that Amy needs the barn reading to figure out the sewer charges for the house.

All board members voted in favor.

A letter will be sent to the property owners indicating how the accounts will be billed.

Amy also asked for clarification on the billing for Rene Boissoneault's property. Bill indicated that he is currently being billed for the house and the apartment on his

Amy discussed the disconnect notices that she sends out for sewer accounts that are past due. Amy asked the Town could seek legal action on any account with a past due balance of $500.00; currently, accounts with a past due balance of $1,000 is subject to legal action. Bill recommended that the limit remain at $1,000.00.

Randy indicated that there are stipulations for the wording of disconnect notices according to State Statute; it would be helpful to have the language of the statutes on the notice. Bob agreed; by including the State Statutes on the notice, there is documentation confirming that legal action can be taken.

B. Don Pigeon - Don informed the board that the 2004 tandem truck is being serviced at J&B. Don has gotten a load of salt from the state. As a cost saving measure, Don suggested that the Fire Department could resume using the fuel tanks at the Town Garage instead of purchasing fuel at Joyal's. Don estimated that the fuel being purchased at the pump at Joyal's is $1.00-$1.10 more a gallon. Also, Don treats the fuel at the Town Garage, and the fuel from the pump at Joyal's is not treated. Erin will draft a letter to the Fire Department indicating that they should use the fuel at the Town Garage, and use the fuel at Joyal's only when fuel at the Town Garage is not available.

Bill reminded Don that a Rabies Clinic will take place between 9:00AM-Noon at the Town Garage on Saturday, March 15th. Don indicated that he has enough tables and chairs for this.

C. Randy DeVine - Reviewed the revised Wastewater Operations Report and the Permit Monitoring Report for January 2008; he also reviewed the Sewer Discharge Report and the Phosphorus Monitoring Report for January 2008. Randy gave a summary of his activities for the past week including, but not limited to, composite sampling on Monday, water sampling on Tuesday, backwashing the filtering system, turning on the water at 1210 Main Street (the Baptist Building) as requested, and reviewing a draft of the Spill Prevention Plan. He has submitted changes to the Plan to Vermont Rural Water; once he receives the changes back, he will submit the Plan to the State. He also responded to a power outage.

Randy asked the board if the Town would like to make a donation of $100 to help sponsor Vermont Drinking Water Week to be held in May. Bob motioned to not sponsor VT Drinking Water Week. Bill seconded. All board members voted in favor.

D. Katrina Antonovich, Parks and Recreation Director - Katrina attended tonight's meeting to update the board on upcoming Recreation Department events. The Recreation Committee will meet on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 6:30PM. Katrina informed the board that the field crowning is scheduled to take place this spring. She indicated that the fitness programs that are currently being offered by the Recreation Department are successful. Katrina indicated that she would like to create more structure to the Recreation Committee by creating a mission statement; she would also like to expand on some current annual events, such as the community picnic after the Egg Run. Bill indicated that the Safe Routes to School Committee has discussed holding a Bicycle Safety Fair after the Ducky Race.

4. Other Business

A. The board reviewed a letter from DJ and Cathy Leach, residents of Fletcher Road. The letter outlines DJ and Cathy's concerns regarding unlicensed dogs on Wheezy Way, and trash from Wheezy Way being strewn onto adjoining properties. Erin will forward a copy of the letter to Ted Cantwell. The board intends to appoint a 2nd Constable to assist Ted with outstanding issues. The Selectboard would like to meet with Bob Perry from All Cycle to discuss some possible solutions to the trash on Wheezy Way and other areas of Town. The board will respond to DJ and Cathy in writing. Bob will contact a resident of Wheezy Way to discuss the DJ and Cathy's concerns.

B. The board reviewed a Fair Housing Survey that was turned over to the Selectboard by the Planning Commission. The Selectboard completed a portion of it, and would like the Planning Commission to seek assistance with completing it from Northwest Regional Planning Commission.

C. The board reviewed the Statement of Procedures and Standards regarding Town Highways. Bob asked the board if this is the document which should address core samples for new roads. This document will be revised at a later date. Bill indicated there are other road and highway policies that will be revised, and if possible, may be combined together.

D. The board reviewed the list of appointed Town Officers. Bill motioned to appoint Peter King to the position of Health Officer. Bob seconded. All in favor.

E. Bill motioned to appoint Judy Cleary to the position of legal agent for the Selectboard to conduct legal business on the board's behalf. Charlie seconded. All in favor.

F. Charlie Swanson will remain as the Town Service Officer, and Judy Cleary will remain as the Selectboard Representative on the board of Library Trustees.

G. Charlie motioned to appoint Cathy Raymond to the position of Temporary Zoning Administrator. Bob seconded. All board members voted in favor.

H. Bill will remain as the representative to the VT State Police Community Advisory Board; he will let the board know next week if he will remain as the representative to the Recreation Department.

I. Bob will be the Selectboard's point of contact for All-Cycle.

J. Bob motioned to accept the elections from the Fairfax Fire Department for the appointments of Dean Potter to Fire Chief and Justin Hayes to Assistant Fire Chief. Charlie seconded. All board members voted in favor.

K. The board signed the application for a liquor license for Nan's Mobil.

L. Charlie motioned to appoint Bill to the position of Vice Chairperson. Randy seconded. All board members voted in favor.

M. The board signed a letter of support for the Safe Routes to School's re-application for federal funds.

N. Bob motioned to appoint Joshua Langelier to the position of 2nd Constable. Charlie seconded. All board members voted in favor.

O. Chief Dean Potter will be receiving a revised set of plans for Cassidy Estates off Fletcher Road.

P. Assistant Fire Chief Justin Hayes will be applying for a grant for a new tanker truck.

Q. Bill updated the board about a delinquent sewer account that is currently being pursued in small claims court.

5. Public Input

A. Betty Poulin asked for clarification on the reminder on the bottom of the agenda regarding the Rabies Clinic on Saturday, March 15th. The reminder states that proof of a previous vaccination is required. Randy informed Betty that if there is no proof of previous vaccination, the Veterinarian will issue a certificate of vaccination that is valid for 2 years; if there is proof of previous vaccination, the certificate of vaccination that is valid for 3 years.

B. Peter King indicated that illegal dumping is a criminal act, and suspected cases can be turned over to the Sheriff's Department. Bob indicated that the board has done that in past years.

C. Betty Poulin asked the board why the users of the water and sewer systems bear the costs of the legal fees associated with small claims court. Bill informed her that the board voted last year not to impose penalties on the account holder. Bill informed Betty that the Town's Attorney recommended that penalties should be imposed upon the account holder.

6. Adjournment

Judy motioned to adjourn the meeting at 9:10PM. Randy seconded. All board members voted in favor. The meeting was adjourned at 9:10PM.

Erin McSweeney, Administrative Assistant to the Selectboard

The above minutes are unapproved , subject to amendment.

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index