The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Fairfax Selectboard Minutes of 03/06/06

Selectboard Chair Jeff Blake and members Doug Webb, Judy Cleary, Bob Horr and Ed Nuttall were present
at the meeting. Also present were Road Foreman Don Pigeon, Water/Sewer Superintendent Randy DeVine, Selectboard Administrator Debra Richer, Carol Lizotte, Bill Ormerod, Colleen Steen, Peg Stewart, Myles Cahoon and Betty Poulin. These minutes are unofficial until approved by the Board at the next regularly scheduled Selectboard meeting.

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm. Judy reported that she, Don P and Sam Hudson tagged the town lines and found the markers on the 100-acre parcel in North Fairfax. Ed and Debra agreed to meet on Tuesday to discuss the Household Hazardous Waste Grant which needs to be mailed back to Thomas Benoit by 3/25/06. The Selectboard unanimously agreed to discuss the Rabies Clinic to be held on 3/18/06 at the next Selectboard meeting on 3/13/06. Don agreed to set up the tables, get the trucks out and to take care of the floor at the Town Garage for the clinic and Judy said she would work at the clinic. Jeff mentioned that we will not register dogs at the clinic just administer the rabies shot to the cats and dogs. Ed advised that the 10-year plan needs to be updated. Don and Bob having been working on the River Road Project grant which is due by the 10th of March 2006. Don P. will inherit the River Road Project Easement Plan from Bob Horr who is leaving office as of 3/7/07.

Randy reported he had JP Electric look at the booster pump motor and they found that the breaker in the computer control panel had overheated and tripped out the motor. The trip on the breaker would not reset. They reset it and there was no damage to the pump and a new motor will not have to be purchased now.

Bob Horr moved to accept the minutes from the February 27, 2006 Selectboard Meeting. Judy Cleary seconded. One amendment was offered and accepted. All voted in favor of accepting the minutes as amended. The Board reviewed and accepted Purchase Orders, work orders and invoices. The first Correspondence Worksheet was reviewed and accepted by the Selectboard. The two (2) Road Name applications were reviewed and accepted by the Board. Both roads are located in the Buckingham Estates subdivision and were given the names of Rock View Road and Lochmoor Road. The Road Codes will also be applied and added to the 911 Road Codes List. Debra will retype the Northwest Regional Planning Commission letter written by Bob H on Fairfax letterhead and resubmit to Jeff for his signature. Bob H asked that we generate the letter to Skip and the Planning Commission that burning, dumping and recycling and transfer stations be added in the Town Plan and Zoning Bylaws. Based on the recommendations by the Solid Waste Management Organization suggests that our SWIP and our Town Plan be integrated so that one refers to the other. Bob H. will draft a letter on this proposal. The liquor license for Steeple Market was unanimously approved and signed. Jeff reminded everyone that the Review of the Annual Financial Plan with the AOT will be held on Friday, March 24, 2006 at 11:00 am.

Carol Lizotte, Recreation Director attended the meeting to discuss the utilization of the 100 acre lot in North Fairfax as a public resource for recreational paths/trails, (no construction effort - no motor vehicles, non-intrusive). They want to labels trails with site markers, provide a site plan/trail map and place the maps in a box to encourage people to walk the trails. Jeff mentioned that the Selectboard was not notified or made aware of this plan. There are two concerns: 1. the right-of-way cannot be blocked and 2. Parking. Currently, there is no public parking. He told Carol that the Board controls the land, that the land would never be sold and that this is a possible site for a Forestry Management Plan. Bob H. said she should talk to the Selectboard 1st because the land may change by the Forest Management Plan and therefore, the trails may change. However, before, there can be any changes the Selectboard needs to be notified. Doug mentioned there were 100 wooded acres and 5 acres of field. Jeff reported because we now have a Park and Recreation Department officially in Fairfax, the Recreation Path Committee, the Recreation Steering committees and other committees may need to go away. Ed N. suggested Carol submit a 12-month plan to the Selectboard. Another concern mentioned by Bob H was that, if there was more than one department or committee both may be seeking grants which could jeopardize one or the other. Ed suggested that Carol discuss this topic with the new Selectboard person and attend future Selectboard meetings. Doug mentioned that Carol should not go ahead with her plan until the Selectboard Forestry Management Plan is approved. Doug also thanked Carol for all the hard work she's been putting in and that the Selectboard appreciated it. Ed Nuttall brought up the subject of porta potties and said that they could be used outside the sewer district.

OTHER BUSINESS: Ed Nuttall reported that the two (2) NW Regional Planning Representatives have been invited to attend a Policy/Project Review Committee Meeting reference the Eastfield Condo Town of Fairfax. The SB had no concerns or issues. Jeff asked whether or not the Fire Department was invited. Ed reported that Tim Beaucage will be leaving the NW Regional Planning Commission due to personal reasons. Ed also reported that he thought the Selectboard did an excellent job at the Town Meeting that was held on Saturday, March 4, 2006. Bob Horr thought the Town Meeting went well also. Doug Webb thought that the Civil Board people should show up tomorrow - March 7, 2006 - Voting Day.

Colleen Steen suggested that the school go 1st at the Town Meeting. Betty Poulin stated that the Town Meeting was one of the best that she ever attended. She also enjoyed the School Board Presentation. Bob reported from Skip that the reproduction of the slides should be bolder or the lights turned down for better visualization. Bill Ormerod thought it was a good Town Meeting and to thank the board and wished Ed Nuttall and Bob Horr good luck on their future endeavors as they leave the Town Selectboard. Jeff reminded Bill that he needed to be sworn in as a Fairfax Selectman.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:25 PM.


____________________________________ Jeff Blake, Selectboard Chair

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index