The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Town of Fairfax Selectboard Meeting Minutes

For Monday February 16, 2009

Selectboard Members present: Judy Cleary (Chair), Bill Ormerod, Charlie Swanson, Randy DeVine and Bob Horr. Staff Members present: Don Pigeon, Randy DeVine and Skip Taylor. Public Present: Melissa Beerworth, Dean Potter, Seth Hamilton, Jamie Wright and Carolyn Branagan.

1. Call to order

Judy Cleary, Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

2. Items on the Agenda

Don Pigeon – Road Foreman.

Don met with Chris Brunell from the VANR, Department of Environmental Conservation Division regarding the bank stabilization project on River Road. Chris drew a sketch of the area with notes and Don filled out the Stream Alteration Permit application. Don also showed Chris the landslide on Goose Pond Road. Don talked with the adjoining landowners regarding the work that will be done to repair the slide. Don stated that we will need to get permission from the landowner to do any work outside the right-of-way area. Don purchased two pair of tire chains/spike chains, a barrel of oil, load of fuel and dump truck wheel.

Randy DeVine – Chief Operator W/S Dept.

Randy revised the Fairfax Water Department Status Report. He located the water shut off valve at Nan’s. He found the stem of the water shut off valve 5” under the asphalt with no cap on it. The stem was packed with dirt, grit and stone. He cleaned out the valve, put a new cap on and cold-patched the hole. He checked in the store to make sure the water would shut off and it did. Randy cleared snow from the contact chamber so he could work on it. Later on in the week he calibrated the chart flow recorder to the contact chamber transducer to the hook gauge so they are all calibrated together. He knows the flow is correct gong out of the plant. Randy had a discussion with Josh Langelier, Constable, regarding a rabies clinic. The clinic will be held March 27, a Friday from 4:30 to 5:30 PM, longer if needed at the town garage. Licensing will be available at the time of the clinic. Randy and Josh will put up signs around town for the clinic. Randy blew the lagoon airline out due to condensation. G&J performed an annual fire extinguisher inspection. Randy talked to Board regarding work uniforms for Paul Langelier including the cost and number of uniforms. The Board approved the uniforms and fee.

Skip Taylor – Zoning Administrator

Skip handed an activity report to the Board members. The report reflects 0 building permits, 1 certificate of compliance and 1 certificate of occupancy from 1/1/09 – 2/16/09. He has been working on projects with the DRB and Planning Commission to re-write the By-Laws. Skip feels that there are approximately nine potential projects that have not yet been brought to the DRB. Bill has an email into the town attorney regarding the Handy Project easements. A letter to Pierre Menard’s Engineer Matt Wamsganz has been signed by the Board stating that current allocations are enough to satisfy the required g/p/d according to the preliminary plans reviewed on 1/26/09. The Planning grant agreement and the contract with NRPC have been mailed.

Dean Potter – Fire Chief

Dean is here to discuss with the Board the possibility of having a tower and micro dish at the fire station for wireless internet (WYMAX). This will replace the tower that was going to go on the building at 1150 Main St. Jamie Wright, a right of way easement specialist and Seth Hamilton are here to discuss the specifications, compensation and any questions the Board may have. Other locations were discussed including the land in North Fairfax and the water control building on Fletcher Road. It was discussed if DRB approval was necessary, setbacks, the permitting process and the area that would benefit from this. Jamie and Seth assured the town that the public service board is very aesthetic conscious.

$100.00 check was given to the Board by Jaime Wright for the option. Bill made the motion to pursue the application process.

Charlie seconded. All in favor. Dean Potter is the focal point of contact.

3.Public Input

Carolyn Branagan came in this evening to meet with the Board regarding what’s going on in Montpelier. She stated they had a TAC meeting on 2/12. Bridge 10 is still #1 in the bridge category at this point.

4. Minutes -

Bob made the motion to accept the 2/09/09 minutes as amended.

Charlie seconded. All in favor.

5. Purchase Orders –


6. Correspondence –

Colleen Steen sent an email regarding Bridge #10. Katrina Antonovich sent an email regarding the sign that was on the school grounds. She stated that Tom Walsh had given her permission to the place the sign on the grounds. Bill will inform Katrina where the sign is. A letter was sent to Matt Wamsganz regarding water and sewer allocations (see Skip Taylor).

Executive Session

Bill made the motion to go into executive session at 9:15 PM to discuss hiring for the Selectboard administrative assistant job.

Bob seconded. All in favor.

Bob made the motion to exit executive session at 9:39 PM

Randy seconded.

Randy made the motion to offer the position to top candidate full-time at $14.50 an hour.

Charlie seconded. 3 voted in favor – 1 voted no and 1 abstained.

The minutes respectfully submitted by Stacy Wells.


Judy Cleary, Chairperson

The minutes are unofficial until approved at the next Selectboard meeting.

The above minutes are unapproved , subject to amendment.

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index