The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Town of Fairfax Selectboard Meeting Minutes

For Monday January 19, 2009

Selectboard Members present: Judy Cleary (Chair), Bill Ormerod, Charlie Swanson, Randy DeVine and Bob Horr.

Staff Members present: Don Pigeon – Highway Department and Randy DeVine – Water & Sewer

Public Present: Melissa Beerworth, Doug Jones, Peggy Stewart, Peggy Bushey, Dean Potter, Bill Blair, Tim Hodet, Boy Scout Troop 853 (see sign-in sheet) and Helen Stowe, Joanne Littler, Phil Littler, Karen Slowinski, Deb Warner and Jeff Hamel.

1. Call to order

Judy Cleary, Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

The Board introduced themselves and welcomed Boy Scout Troop 853 here this evening.

2. Items on the Agenda

Don Pigeon – Road Foreman. Don talked to the John Deere and Volvo dealers to get estimates on a new grader. Don will bring in a revised estimate for debris removal and projected cost of repair of the slide on Goose Pond Road at the next SB meeting 1/26. He made a guardrail pusher out of scrap found at the garage. The wash-out on River Road near the sharp turn is getting worse. The e-mail from Carolyn Branagan and Gary Gilbert was reviewed regarding budget implications for the town.

Randy DeVine – Chief Operator of the Water & Sewer Dept. Randy reported on his activities for last week including, but not limited to; back-wash of the filtering system and maintenance on the blowers at the water control building. He filed reports and updated the log for 2008. He did snow removal as needed and completed the work order for a replacement meter for David Keefe on Hunt Street. He is presently working on the water and sewer report for the Town Report.

The Green Mountain Water Environment Association member-ship is $20.00: Randy recommended not renewing Maurice’s membership and transferring it to Paul.

Bill made a motion to transfer Maurice Rathbun’s membership to Paul Langelier. Bob seconded. All board members voted in favor.

Bill made a motion to renew Randy’s 2009 membership.

Charlie seconded. All board members in favor.

The GMWEA will hold an Introductory Treatment Course (60 hour) to be held in Hyde Park starting on 2/17 for ten (10) Tuesdays from 8:30 to 3:30 PM. Mark Simon will be the instructor. Randy talked to Paul Langelier to see if he would be able to attend. The cost for the course and set of books discussed.

Bill made the motion to approve the GMWEA course plus the fee for books, time and mileage.

Bob Horr seconded. All board members voted in favor.

The deadline for the course is 2/6, or until filled up. Randy will take care of the application process.

Peg Bushey – Teen Center – Peg Bushey visited the fire station looking for possible places to run a teen center. Dean Potter, Fire Chief, felt that basic code upgrades would need to be performed along with new doors to lock the bay areas. He had concerns with clean-up, repairs, scheduling and traffic generated from teens being dropped off and picked up. Peg Stewart, Chair of the School Board, stated that there wasn’t sufficient room at the school and, due to the security system and allergy policy in effect, it wouldn’t be a practical place for a teen center. Peg Bushey was given a couple of locations to check on in town to see if they would be suitable for a teen center.

Joanne Littler – Ledge Road – Joanne Littler came in to discuss a letter she received from Giles Boissoneault’s attorney. She questioned why there’s a Ledge Road sign on the Buck Hollow Road side. Jeff Hamel was concerned with the road sign at the bottom of Ledge Road being down and the post broken. He also asked if the Board could do something about the erosion occurring on Ledge Road due to run-off from Sam Webb Road. The Board will discuss these concerns with Don.

3. Other Business

A. Cathy Raymond, Zoning Administrative Assistant notified the SB via memo that the Planning Commission held elections for officers. She also notified them that Peter Rainville’s term as an alternate on the DRB has expired and that he is interested in being reappointed to another 2-year term.

Bob Horr made the motion to reappoint Peter Rainville for another term as an alternate on the Development Review Board.

Randy seconded. All board members voted in favor. A letter will be sent to Peter informing him of the SB’s action.

B. Bill stated there was a lesson learned at the Steeple Market fire. They were unable to access the Emergency Management Program for Disaster Land programs on the internet during the fire due to the incapability to access the internet. They will look into what will be needed to prevent this from happening in the future. Bill is the back-up E.M. coordinator for Steve Bessette.

C. The Town Warning was reviewed.

4. Minutes

A. Bill motioned to accept the minutes from the meeting on January 12, 2009, with amendments. Bob seconded. 4 board members voted in favor of accepting the minutes with amendments with 1 board member abstaining.

5.Public Input

Boy Scouts Troop 853 – Tim Hodet and Bill Blair, Scoutmasters, were here with nine boy scouts working on their citizen and community merit badges. They asked questions regarding water usage, allocations, sewer infrastructure and the fire at Steeple Market.

Melissa Beerworth has been doing research into law enforcement for the town. Bill talked to Lt. Evans at the State Police Barracks.

Peg Stewart wanted to thank the road crew for their help with snow removal at the school. The school portion of town meeting will be first this year and the town portion second.

Bill made the motion to enter into executive session at 9:20 PM to discuss employee issues.

Bob seconded. All board members voted in favor

Bill made the motion to come out of executive session at 10:10 PM.

Bob seconded. All board members voted in favor.

Bill made the motion to adjourn at 10:12 PM.

Randy seconded. All board members voted in favor.

The minutes respectfully submitted by Stacy Wells.


Judy Cleary, Chairperson

The minutes are unofficial until approved at the next Selectboard meeting.

The above minutes are unapproved , subject to amendment.

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index