The minutes presented below are unapproved , subject to corrections and/or additions at the next Selectboard meeting. Those corrections and/or additions will be written to the original minutes. If you, the viewer, wish to personally see those changes, you will need to go to the Fairfax Town Office to view those changes as written on the original paper copy.

Any time the Selectboard "amends" the previous weeks' minutes, there will be a statement to that effect in the minutes of the meeting at which the "amending" occurred.

Fairfax Selectboard Minutes of Monday 01/05/09

Selectboard Members present: Judy Cleary (Chair), Bill Ormerod, Bob Horr, Charlie Swanson and Randy DeVine.

Staff Members present: Don Pigeon – Highway Department and Randy Devine – Water & Sewer.

Public Present: Melissa Beerworth

1. Call to order

Judy Cleary, Chairperson, called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.

2. Items on the Agenda

A.Don Pigeon, Town Highway Department – Don discussed the slide on Goose Pond Road and eminent problems in the spring. Don asked the Board how they wanted to proceed.

A discussion took place on possible solutions.

1. It was decided to talk to Vermont Leagues of Cities and Towns regarding insurance and the possibility of recouping any of the cost for the repair.

2. Don would talk to Randy Reed to get his opinion on the matter.

Other topics discussed: signs on Maple Street, the overhead at the bridge and insurance cards for the town trucks.

B.Randy DeVine – Randy stated the monthly water reports are complete and have been sent to the State. The Wastewater Treatment Facility information was given to Amy on Friday.

Randy informed the board that he did composite testing today and water sampling will be tomorrow.

The shut-off notices were sent out (shut off is scheduled for 1/7/09). Back-wash of the filtering system was performed.

J&A bill discussed.

Lagoon 3 pump pulled out as the volume was beginning to deteriorate by transfer. It had to be chopped out of the ice.

Randy sent out the application for VTWARN. He will follow-up with them to find out what else needs to be done to get into the program.

Bill informed Randy that Susan Drew, who owns an apartment building on Main Street, has hired Larry Cota as apartment manager. If Randy needs to gain access to disconnect he may contact Larry as he has the keys to the apartments. Sue wants the water disconnected if they are delinquent on their bill.

Bill reviewed a letter from the Agency of Natural Resources regarding the water systems qualifications under the 4-log requirement rule.

Other discussion:

Training for Paul Langelier in April and May.

In addition, Class 2 systems wastewater systems operator class is to be announced in the spring.

Waiving the fee for the United Baptist Church shut off charge.

Spreading out the billing for the average usage for the past quarter for Steeple Market, which burned down on December 24, 2008.

All were favorable to these actions.

3. Executive Session

Charlie Swanson motioned to enter executive session to perform interviews for the Selectboard Administrative Assistant position at

7:30 PM.

Bob Horr seconded

All in favor

Executive session ended at 9:30 PM. No public present.

4. Other Business

A.Randy Devine relayed to the board Peter King’s (Health Officer) concerns for the public safety surrounding Steeple Market after the recent fire there. He also had questions if there were any environmental problems at the site. Bob Horr said that he would get in touch with John Mitchell in regards to the gas tanks. He also will talk to Pierre Menard owner of Steeple Market in regards to his plans for the site.

B. Bob Horr wrote a letter to the Fire Department and Rescue, and all involved with the Steeple Market fire thanking them for their help.

Bob drafted a letter to Mr. Hancock at North Woods Forestry with copies going to adjoining landowners. (Mrs. Heyer, Mr. Spendley and Dunlap Riehle)

C. Charlie talked about the bridge 10 update - a preliminary set of plans were brought in last week with a change to 5’ wide sidewalks. Charlie and Don met last week to discuss the slide on Goose Pond Road.

D.Bill reminded the Board of the appeal in Environmental Court January 26 at 9:00AM in regards to the Beliveau property on Main St. The cost of coverage for the State Police versus Sheriff discussed.

5. Minutes

A. Bob motioned to accept the minutes from the meeting on December 29, 2008, as written. Randy seconded. 4 board members voted in favor of accepting the minutes as written, and one board member abstained.

6. Adjournment

Charlie motioned to adjourn the meeting at 10:45 PM.

Bob Seconded.

All board members voted in favor.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:45 PM.


Judy Cleary, Chairperson

The minutes are unofficial until approved at the next Selectboard meeting.

The above minutes are unapproved , subject to amendment.

Go to Top of Page Go to Home Page Go to Topic Index