Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:53:30 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Mortgage Breaker Tomatoes
« previous next »
: [1]
: Mortgage Breaker Tomatoes  ( 11304 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 29, 2010, 12:51:27 PM »

Ronnie Gross brought me up a tomato called Mortgage Breaker and asked me to try it.  I'll be slicing up this big guy for supper tonight and from the size of it, will most likely have more than one sandwich:

Henry Raymond
Suzy
: 429

« #1 : August 29, 2010, 02:49:22 PM »

That looks awesome!  Ron's got a real green thumb when it comes to tomatoes! (I've had some of his before) Lucky you!
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : August 30, 2010, 07:20:32 AM »

I should have taken a photo of it after I had it sliced.  It is a real meaty tomato with very few seeds and I would have to say, one of the best tomatoes I have ever tasted.  Gonna have to find out where Ron got those plants.

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #3 : April 15, 2014, 10:31:45 AM »

Does anyone know where you can find Mortgage Breaker seeds or plants around us.  Ronnie gave me great advice on these last year and I really want to grow them this year. I can find mortgage lifters but I am looking for the Mortgage Breakers.

Thanks!!!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Counselor
: 55

« #4 : April 15, 2014, 04:50:33 PM »

MKR-

As a collector of OP and Heirloom tomatoes/seeds (over 300 varieties), I believe that these are actually the same variety, just a different name. Great tasting variety that can regularly get well over a pound. As this is a readily available commercial variety, I do not have seeds or plants, but perhaps Red Wagon in Hinesburg or Depot Home and Garden in Essex have plants. Here is a link for Bonnie with a bit of history.  Looks like they are a national retailer so Wal-Mart and Home Depot may have these too.

http://bonnieplants.com/products/new-for-2012/mortgage-lifter-heirloom-tomato
« : April 15, 2014, 06:05:34 PM Henry »
mkr
Administrator

« #5 : April 17, 2014, 05:28:28 PM »

Thank you so much!!!

mkr
Administrator

« #6 : April 18, 2014, 12:06:33 PM »

Mortgage lifter is different than the mortgage breaker. Unfortunately I cannot find these seeds or plants.

Counselor
: 55

« #7 : April 19, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »

Mortgage lifter is different than the mortgage breaker. Unfortunately I cannot find these seeds or plants.

I am checking into this with some friends on my favorite tomato board. So far, the experts weighing in are saying that these are both the exact same tomato that had its name changed somewhere along the way.  We have posed a question in the Seed Savers Exchange organization and I will report out what we find there. Seed savers Exchange is a great place to shop and you can often ask for things that may not be listed as there a 100's of growers that contribute ...

This kind of thing happens quite a lot, where someone saves seeds from something they grew, forgot the real name, or save the seeds from a unique fruit they grew from a tomato with a history like Mortgage Lifter and then re-name it something close and then distribute seeds under the new name. If they are different and I can get seeds I will start a few for you or save them and start them for next year, your call but I will let you know what I find out.

For now, here is a link to my favorite tomato database.  There are upwards of 10,000 varieties cataloged here. The only listing Tatiana has here is for Mortgage Lifter. there are a couple different strains and colors, but they are all "Lifter". nothing listed for "Breaker".

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Main_Page
« : April 19, 2014, 12:01:03 PM Counselor »
mkr
Administrator

« #8 : April 23, 2014, 08:41:26 AM »

Thank you! I appreciate you looking into this!

: [1]  
« previous next »
: