Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:47:51 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Check Out Ryan Mercer's Panoramic Photo Of Fairfax Falls
« previous next »
: [1]
: Check Out Ryan Mercer's Panoramic Photo Of Fairfax Falls  ( 4614 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 06, 2010, 07:11:12 AM »

I don't know how he took this photo, but you can hit the right arrow and it is like you are standing there and just turning around and looking at it.  The first load takes a while, but it comes right up afterwards:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2010100805037

Henry Raymond
Suzy
: 429

« #1 : August 06, 2010, 08:18:55 AM »

That's a fun photo!
I remember up at Man and His World (Expo '67) in Montreal, there was a 360 degree movie of Canada.  You stood up next to a railing in a round theater, and the movie began or ended with Mounties, riding horseback, two-by-two at you, and you could watch them as they rode away from you.  There were also lots of scenes shot from a plane, flying over Canada's natural features.  Sometimes you'd have to hold onto the railing so you didn't tip over as the plane banked to to the left, or right.  It was quite sensational.  I always wondered how on earth they were able to record the movie, and present it? 
Hope things are good there in beautiful Vermont!  (Things are strange here in Wyoming...had two earthquakes yesterday morning, and one the night before.)
Dick Brown
: 414

« #2 : August 06, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »

Suzy       My son Jeff ( BFA-'79 ) is on his way driving from Chicago this am to Cody, Wyoming for a few days of fly-fishing with his fishing buddy who hails from Wisconsin. Grizzlies are on their radar screen as things to be aware of and avoid if possible( in previous years they have seen tracks and scat but no critters ), but earthquakes haven't been discussed that i know of.  Hope you're enjoying the mountain air.
Suzy
: 429

« #3 : August 08, 2010, 07:46:35 AM »

Funny!  I saw one of Jeff's photos on Facebook, and recognized the Wyoming sagebrush in the background of the photo, so I know he's been out here fly fishing before.  Cody has a great museum, The Buffalo Bill Historical Museum, but I bet he won't be spending a lot of time there if he brought his fishing pole (er...fly rod). 

Yes, there are bucket loads of grizzlies over there!   I hope he brings/buys bear spray!  I am rarely without mine, and frequently see/photograph/video grizzlies.  I love to see them FROM THE SAFETY OF MY CAR.  I had two grizzlies chasing each other around my car a couple weekends ago.  A subadult that had been chased off by her mother a year or two previously snuck up on her mom in the tall flowers, and her mom chased her all around the field, and my car!  They were sooooooo fast, and to be in the middle of it all was very exciting. 

Here are two videos with some of the clips of the two bears....The bear with ear tags is the subadult, and I'm pretty sure the other bear is her mother, #610.  There was no way I could have captured them on video when they went past my car...they were too fast and too close, and I ducked down into my car from the sunroof. They chased each other all around, but I didn't hear them growl or make any noise at each other.  It seemed like more playful behavior, than aggressive, even though the subadult might have startled the other bear at first. 

The first video shows the subadult slow down, and sneak up on what I think is her Mom.  I heard a noise over the hill, and thought there was another bear there.  I never saw it, but watching the subadult's behavior change was exciting, and when the other bear ran out of the tall flowers...things got even more exciting.  This is the same field she ran her cubs (now sub adults) off in, to mate with a boar.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNzckTpPqgo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIxzChOZYc0 this video shows the bears together after they stampeded around my car a few times.  There's a random pelican in this video, but it shows the two bears together a couple times. 

Yes, grizzlies are a favorite topic of mine!  Hope Jeff catches lots of fish, and has a great time!
« : August 08, 2010, 07:53:07 AM Henry »
Dick Brown

« #4 : August 08, 2010, 09:33:06 AM »

Wonderful Videos....thanks for posting.  Jeff carries a ..44 Magnum along with his bear spray...his theory is he'd rather get a citation for shooting without a hunting license then condolenses or an obituary because the spray didn't work ( of course, with the speed of the bear, the .44 may not work either BUT he has a better chance of surviving , I think ) .  You're right about Cody's historical places , but his only venture towards western history is that he and his buddy are staying at the Buffalo Bill Antler Inn while he's there.
When I was hiking the Long Trail with a end-to-end goal several years ago, I carried both pepper and bear sprays. My worry was it doesn't  cover much ground ( 15' ?? ) so I never have had much faith in it. Of course, there is no real danger on the Long Trail from 4-legged critters ( except mice in the shelters who steal your food ! ) Not so in your neck of the woods. Sounds like you have had some great adventures. Using a camera by standing up and shooting through a sunroof sounds a little like the Discovery Channel to me !!!
cassyt
: 84

« #5 : August 08, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »

We were going down 104 a last week when we saw a bear just befor you get to Blakes was headed right there way.
Dick Brown

« #6 : August 11, 2010, 11:47:45 AM »

Suzy          Jeff and his fishing buddy have had wonderful success all three days of fishing in the rivers around and north of Cody and really hit the bonanza yesterday in a float trip ( under a catch and release program ). They anticipate more of the same today , I guess. He has often talked about moving to that area  , but I'm thinking that it's just as well that he hasn't managed it yet.......age 49 is probably too old to just fish & ski all year ( isn't it ???? ). You must live in a beautiful part of the world from listening to him expound upon it.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: