Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:29 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Historical Society to do School Bus Tour of Fairfax
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Historical Society to do School Bus Tour of Fairfax  ( 7422 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : July 26, 2010, 09:37:37 PM »

Spent a Sunday afternoon catching up on Fairfax History.
On Sunday August 15th, the Fairfax Historical Society will be having a school bus tour of part of the town of Fairfax. The tour will start at the Library parking lot at BFA-Fairfax at 1pm. We will be covering parts of the southern part of town. We will be visiting and talking about places like The Baptist Building, The New Hampton Institute, Hillcrest Poultry, Peloquinn's Sawmill, Spartan Industries, the old log cabin on Shepardson's Hollow, Spafford Cemetery. Fairfax Falls, The Old Parade Grounds, McNall Field, Steeple Market, and Parsons Store.
We will end at Colleen Steen's house on Main Street, where the teachers at the old NHI used to live, to have our annual meeting.
The public is invited to attend.
For more information, please call 849-6638.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : July 27, 2010, 05:24:42 AM »

Great idea Mike....If I was in Fairfax, I'd certainly join your group. If my memory serves me correctly, Al Daniels used to take his classes on cemetery tours of Fairfax, but the trip involved so much more history then just those spots. Hope he's a part of your group still.
MikeF9

« #2 : August 01, 2010, 07:18:45 PM »

Yes, he is and he will be driving the bus for the tour.

Chris Santee
: 2653

« #3 : August 13, 2010, 08:04:31 AM »

This Sunday !

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
roadkill
: 80

« #4 : August 14, 2010, 07:50:35 AM »

I wont be able to make the bus trip Mike, but, is the log cabin on shepardson hollow road the oldest building in fairfax?
Dick Brown

« #5 : August 14, 2010, 08:05:36 AM »

Gary     There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that John Barker grew up in that cabin and walked to school at the Hampton Institute uphill both ways.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #6 : August 15, 2010, 12:09:40 AM »

Gary     There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that John Barker grew up in that cabin and walked to school at the Hampton Institute uphill both ways.

In the snow?
MikeF9

« #7 : August 15, 2010, 08:43:57 AM »

Yes, Gary, I believe it is.

Dick Brown

« #8 : August 16, 2010, 09:38:23 AM »

Mike    Sounds like not only was the tour idea very worthwhile, but also completed successfully on a great Sunday afternoon in Vermont. Sounds also like your organizational skills are still working well. In another posting, Henry asked about the Silo ? Where is that located ?
Just wanted to remind you that 37 years ago we began making the move into the new '73 addition that ,in my mind, was one of the most memorable events to ever take place in Fairfax , culminating in a weekend where large number of Fairfax residents, students, parents and school employees ( including teachers ) moved furniture from the old gym ( where they had been stored , in some cases, halfway to the gym ceiling ) into the new classrooms and offices within the addition in time for the whole school to open on the previously assigned date, which was previously placed on the School District Calendar in March, 1973. This in spite of the June windstorm     ( tornado ??? ) , the truckers strike ( holding up both furniture and the Industrial Arts Equipment from being delivered ) , the lack of a finished gym or lockers of any type ( student ones located in the halls  or locker room ) and with Construction Company workers still finishing up all over the building.
That such a large-scale project was pulled off by an unbelievable cooperative spirit among all the participants, was in itself a unique and special experience , but from my point of view, it could have only happened in Fairfax. I think back upon those that worked to make it happen, and how many of them have passed on , and am thankful for their spirit and efforts. I also think how well the new teachers that we brought in for their very first year of teaching did , dealing with the shock of no gym ( for Wayne Davis & Pat Nilsson ) , no IA equipment for 5-6 weeks ( Bruce Patterson ) ,  and a lack of finished library space ( Marnie Kneeland & crew ) . Also the limited hot lunch equipment and space for serving meals ( Nellie Broe & staff ) and no bell system for several days. Yet it all worked, and at the risk of being redundant , it only could have been done in that manner in Fairfax.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: