Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:49:46 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Announcements
| | |-+  Poplar trees or cuttings wanted
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Poplar trees or cuttings wanted  ( 12185 )
GamingWeasel
: 184

« : July 07, 2010, 08:09:01 AM »

We are looking for poplar trees, seedlings, cuttings, or shoots to root and/or transplant to our yard at 22 Maple St, so we can have a screen of trees between us and the Steeple Market.  Poplars seem ideal, but other fast-growing and large tree species would be good too.  Anyone have any un-wanted seedlings in their yard that they would like to get rid of?  The trees should be of a size that can be dug-up by hand, because I only have basic yard equipment, so probably no more than 3-5' tall.  Or cuttings of new growth would probably work too.

Thanks!
« : July 07, 2010, 01:45:12 PM GamingWeasel »

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : July 08, 2010, 02:55:45 PM »

Box elder grow fast and spread mightly.  Cedar would make both a nice hedge and a nice habitat.....
Margie
: 156

« #2 : July 08, 2010, 05:21:13 PM »

I have a bunch of Poplar trees here that continually sprout new little ones.  Let me know if you want to come up the hill to take a look!
GamingWeasel

« #3 : July 08, 2010, 08:43:31 PM »

Elizabeth, I dont know anything about box elder, but I will look into it...thanks. :)  We are getting some cedars, but we also want something that will grow start growing quickly immediately.

Margie, that would be awesome!  Anytime during the day tomorrow, or on Sunday would be great. :D

Margie
: 156

« #4 : July 08, 2010, 09:24:13 PM »

Mike gets home at 2:30 and I should be home around that time.  Summer hours at work:  office closes at noon!  Give a call around that time and we'll make plans.  Not sure how many there are.  We lost our big poplars in a couple of the big storms over the last couple of summers. 
GamingWeasel

« #5 : July 16, 2010, 08:02:14 AM »

It turns out we have at least 1 small box elder sapling on our property, growing right out from under our porch-entrance stairs.  It looks a lot like poison ivy, which I am very susceptable to, so I hope my identification is right!  I have noticed that poison ivy is not very prevalent around here, unlike where I grew up in Maryland, where large hairy vines can be 2-4 inches across:

I havent had a chance to look around and find more box elders (or maybe poplars too), but I'm going to take a thorough look this weekend.  Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Mike
« : July 20, 2010, 11:38:17 AM GamingWeasel »

al brodeur
: 216

« #6 : July 16, 2010, 09:04:04 AM »

be careful, don't the populars have shallow or above ground roots which can ruin a lawnmower
ohhman
: 469

« #7 : July 16, 2010, 11:11:36 AM »

I have a few maple saplings if you'd like; growing fast & give good shade.
GamingWeasel

« #8 : July 16, 2010, 12:10:30 PM »

Oops, I meant "NOT very prevalent" regarding poison ivy around here...changed my post to correct that.

Well, considering we want to get rid of as much grass as possible with bushes, trees, and groundcover, I'm not going to worry too much about mowing over roots, but thanks for the heads-up. :)

What sort of maple saplings do you have, and how big are they? 

My recent attempts to transplant trees have not gone well, but I was working in a state of ignorance.  After some searching and reading, I realize that every species needs to be handled differently.

slpott
: 457

« #9 : July 16, 2010, 01:39:25 PM »

We were educated a bit from Cricket Baily that Poplars do grow fast but they also fall fast. Lots of clean up after storms. My husband likes them too. Good luck
I think there is a strip of the on the corner of Fletcher and Shepherdson Hollow. They were only planted a few years ago.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #10 : July 18, 2010, 01:37:57 AM »

Where is 22 Maple Street????

Broes? Nortons?
GamingWeasel

« #11 : July 20, 2010, 08:56:11 AM »

Try out Google Maps, Mike. ;)     http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Thanks for the tip about the poplar stand, slpott.  I'll check it out when I get a chance.

« : July 20, 2010, 08:59:21 AM GamingWeasel »

ohhman
: 469

« #12 : July 20, 2010, 09:09:48 AM »

Maple saplings are 2-5' tall  & are free if you want. I just want them out of my flower garden. I will even dig them for you. Think they are soft maple as that's what's in my back yard.
GamingWeasel

« #13 : July 20, 2010, 11:54:14 AM »

I'd definitely like to come by and take a look at the maple saplings.  I might want one or two of them. :)  Send me a message about where you live, and when you might like to meet.

Thanks!

Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #14 : July 24, 2010, 12:16:09 AM »

Try out Google Maps, Mike. ;)     http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Thanks for the tip about the poplar stand, slpott.  I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Ok Weasel, I did the mappy thing.
It looks like my Great Grand Mothers lot if the satellite is correct.
Based on the open field in relation to the Steeple Market lot.

Am I close or is Googel close?
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: