Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:27:19 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Sharon Horr To Retire August 26, 2010 As Town Librarian After 34 Years
« previous next »
: [1]
: Sharon Horr To Retire August 26, 2010 As Town Librarian After 34 Years  ( 5920 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 24, 2010, 12:18:02 PM »

Thirty-four years ago in the summer of 1972, a lady knocked on my front door. She was Louise McArdle, trustee of the Fairfax Free Library. The board was in need of a new librarian and since my name, Sharon Horr was on every book in the library (all 100 of them), it was decided that I would be the new librarian. And so began my long career as the town librarian. I worked for 2 years then resigned when expecting my third child. Four years later the librarian (Peg Stewart) was moving and the position was available again. Late August of 1978,1 was hired as the town librarian along with Joy LeBaron who was the new school librarian.

The Fairfax Free Library was housed in a small room behind the town clerk's office located in the front of the old section of BFA. The school library was a tiny room upstairs in that section. In 1973 the library received a $25,000 grant from the Department of Libraries to combine the two libraries into the Fairfax Community Library. The school was under construction at that time and the new library was given a huge space located between the old and new sections of the school. It was an exciting time for the library to have this space and to order new books for both the town and school. In the early 1990's a second floor was constructed over the library and half of the library's books were put in storage in the Red Barn in Georgia. During the yearlong construction, the library was housed in "The Dungeon" which was in the basement of the old section of the school. A dragon was painted on the wall in the hallway going into the library that is why it was nicknamed "The Dungeon". The library was located next to the old coal bin where it was very damp, so damp that frogs lived there along with a mouse or two. There were many lunch hours where a mouse would sit and watch us eat.

The library has seen many changes over the years, hi 1978, the library owned 9,640 books with a circulation of 11,651. In 2010, there are 42,659 books and other materials in the library with the circulation of 70,055. hi 1979 the average cost of all hard covered books was $7.13 and children's paperbacks were $1.36. In 2010, the hard covered books are $25.00 to $28.00 each and children paperback books are $8.95. hi 1978, the town library budget was $3,301 and in 2010 it is $63,978.

Computers have been a big change for the library. In 1982 the library had one computer located in the AV room. The elementary students were introduced to the computer with a few high school students trained to assist them. Townspeople used the computer in the evenings and twelve different families took advantage of this opportunity. Now the library has 12 computers with Internet access and on the average 35-40 townspeople use the computers per week.

After 34 years as the town librarian, I will be retiring August 27, 2010. It has been a long rewarding career working with books; children and adult patrons and seeing the changes that have taken place over the years.

Henry Raymond
Kathleen
: 167

« #1 : June 24, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »

So ... was it a set up that she wear the Cat in the Hat's hat in the second photo or was it just an incredible and photogenic happenstance?
Dick Brown
: 414

« #2 : June 24, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »

Congratulations,  Sharon, on your retirement and for a job well-done. The town of Fairfax and BFA have both benefited through the years from your dedication and hard work , and the growth of the library's collection to its current size is a tribute to your persistence and to your determination to include books for the adults in town to read, as well as providing for the school's population . I'm not sure what the budget climate is now, but I remember Marnie , Joy and yourself waging that battle year after year with various groups , including the school administration at times.
From a personal point of view, the three of you and your staffs through the years made my own search for a book to read an enjoyable experience , and when things got a little " hairy ' in the halls those years , I knew that friendly faces, warm greetings and funny stories would provide a much-needed break within the Community Library rooms for a little while , something you had no small part in helping to cultivate .
Good luck to you and your family. All of you ( Bob, Robin , Kelly , Brett and yourself ) have been an important part of Fairfax.
« : June 24, 2010, 02:56:20 PM Henry »
Sue W.
: 167

« #3 : June 24, 2010, 03:52:38 PM »

Sharon, best wishes on your retirement! You were very helpful when I became the librarian in Georgia fifteen years ago!  Thanks for sharing the history of the library, there were many interesting events I did not know about!  Enjoy retirement!  Sue
cowtchr
: 17

« #4 : June 24, 2010, 04:58:42 PM »

Hey Mom, terrific hat.  It becomes you, or perhaps it has become part of you during your tenure!

You made a difference in many lives in the community of Fairfax.  In fact, as many will agree, you helped make the library its own micro-community over the years. 

Congratulations!

Love,

Kelley

P.S.

Thank you for the kind words everyone!

Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #5 : June 24, 2010, 05:39:12 PM »

Hmmmm. Henry, did you have Sharon stand in front of that hat intentionally--or was it just a whimsical coincidence.  Anyway..retirement here you come, Sharon. Enjoy time well earned; enjoy enjoy enjoy.  You have been a fine member of the community, and a great help to me!
Suzy
: 429

« #6 : June 26, 2010, 09:05:35 AM »

Congratulations Sharon!  Happy Retirement!  Love, Suzy
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #7 : June 26, 2010, 09:12:19 AM »

I don't know if Sharon has seen the photo or not, but have to say that the second photo was strictly accidental.  I chose the two photos I put up, strictly based on how natural I felt Sharon looked.  My photos are not very professional and I just snap & shoot a few and try to pick out the best.  With my 2.2 megapixel camera, I don't do any cropping or zooming in.  Still haven't decided on what I want to get for a new camera although Maryann keeps mentioning it.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: