Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:36:40 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  This Date in Fairfax History-June 16, 1905 First Commencement Exercises at BFA
« previous next »
: [1]
: This Date in Fairfax History-June 16, 1905 First Commencement Exercises at BFA  ( 3975 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : June 16, 2010, 11:18:15 PM »

This Date in Fairfax History

June 16, 1905

The very first Commencement Exercises, aka, graduation, was held in the Academy Hall at Bellows Free Academy at 2pm.
There was only one graduate that first year- Ralph Stratton Wolcott. He was in the Latin-Scientific Course.
The BFA Orchestra perfomed five numbers, including "Under the American Eagle", "Santiago", and "In a Birch Canoe". The guest speaker was the Hon. D. J. Foster. Mr. Wolcott also made an oration, entitled, "Japanese Heroism". Mr. C. H. Brush, President of the Board of Trustees, presented Mr. Wolcott with the first diploma to be given at BFA.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : June 17, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »

Thanks, Mike.  I would think that same location in the school was used for the Last Chapel also.
cowtchr
: 17

« #2 : June 18, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »

Thanks Mike for posting your history tidbits.  Also, I look forward to reading Mr. Brown's responses.  Both leave me with a sentimental feeling of attending BFA Fairfax and how special small schools really are.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in the 105 years of our glorious alma mater's existence, haven't there only been two high school music/band instructors?  They would be... (Drum Roll)  Sterling Weed and Bruce McRae.  Pretty neat if you ask me!

Regards,

Kelley Horr Mills
Class of 1985
Dick Brown
: 414

« #3 : June 18, 2010, 03:06:36 PM »

Kelly      I think you're right about the Musical Instrument Instruction at BFA. I don't believe that there was formal instruction in the instrumental part of the BFA Curriculum until Sterling joined the faculty in the late 30's or early forties, and I'm not sure if Laura Hubbert was the first Vocal Music Instructor or not. Somewhere I heard that there was a faculty member whodirected the chorus back in the mid-twenties, but I can't verify that.
At any rate, your premise is correct , in that Mr. Weed & Mr. McCrae have spanned over 65 years of formal BFA Band direction, quite a tribute to their careers.
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #4 : June 18, 2010, 04:41:53 PM »

Wasn't there someone named Russell who taught instrumental music, who was also the Baptist minister?  I remember Raymond McNall telling me something about him.....
MikeF9
: 1994

« #5 : June 18, 2010, 10:18:19 PM »

There was someone before Sterling Weed. Cannot remember his name, but his eyesight was failing and he ended up going blind, but he still played an instument. I believe he led the BFA Orchestra to a State Championship in 19.....27?....29?. I will check on this. There is an article on him at the museum, and somewhere at school there is a picture of the orchestra, maybe 10 students?, and I will get a copy and post it.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: