Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:02:39 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Local Business Announcements
| | |-+  The Guys Working On Bridge #10 Tell Me
« previous next »
: [1]
: The Guys Working On Bridge #10 Tell Me  ( 14453 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : May 28, 2010, 11:15:58 AM »

Well, I stopped this morning and asked the guys working on Bridge #10 in the center of town just what is going on with digging a hole during the day and filling it back up at night.  This is what I was told:

They had to dig down and put in a drainage tile and the state did not want to pay for the 4 feet of course stone to back fill it so they put back the old dirt - The state then decided it would pay for the course stone, so each day they have been digging up a portion of the road from School Street to The Foothills Bakery, drawing away the old dirt and filling it with 4 feet or course stone.  The water from the top of the hill will drain through the large drainage tiles and catch basin into the river at the bridge both from Fletcher Road and Main Hill.  I forgot to ask them if they were about done digging up, but it looks like they might be.  Come June 7, one guy thought they might be able to replace the bridge in 3 weeks, but they do have 4 weeks to do it.

Bottom line, they are not practicing digging and filling, there is a purpose and it looks like they will have an excellent base for the approaches to the new Bridge #10.  I didn't take any notes, but I think I got the story right.

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : May 29, 2010, 12:42:08 AM »

Govt' Engineers vs Gov't bean counters..........
LOVE IT!

You know, General Contractors and their sub-contractors are NOT stupid.
We and they usually know what is best.

We are not crooks.

My last few State of Alaska jobs I have found that the Gov't people are cheats. But that is me experience.
BCota
: 59

concrete is love -- pour it on

« #2 : June 07, 2010, 11:29:08 AM »

catch-22:

what is "best" is rarely what is designed/planed (by the Gov't Engs)

&
what is "best" is also rarely what is cheapest (estimated by the Gov't bean counters)

$0.02 (which I've been informed is actually worth $0.06 in raw materials)

you don't go reaching into a haystack for a needle if you know there's a whole lotta needles in there
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : June 12, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »

The general thoughts are that you toss out he low bidders and the high bidders and talk with the guys in the middle.
Wouldn't that be NICE?

This has happened to me on a job before.
We were in the middle and the two low guys pulled their bids and we were awarded the job.

It's all in the buy out and be honest.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #4 : June 08, 2011, 01:23:18 PM »

its been almost a year time for an update
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #5 : June 08, 2011, 05:36:25 PM »

Update: "It is built and Ed you probably drive on it everyday" ;-)

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #6 : June 10, 2011, 04:50:54 AM »

I got tired of looking at the last post from last year so decided to update the post
: [1]  
« previous next »
: