Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:17:04 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Local Business Announcements
| | |-+  digging holes
« previous next »
: [1]
: digging holes  ( 6372 )
sue
: 124

« : May 26, 2010, 06:26:16 AM »

Can anyone explain the reason for digging up the road and the covering each day?  What is the purpose?
ohhman
: 469

« #1 : May 26, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »

You mean like when little boys play for hours in their sandbox, digging, filling, moving the dirt from here to there..........well, seems like some of those little boys grow up to be big boys doing the same thing!!  There must be a reason for this but to many of us it seems silly.....BUT they did get a budget to spend & they did get put on hold to move the bridge out, so maybe they are just practicing?!   sorry, there must be a reason but for now, the heat is getting to some of us & am getting a little bit punchy.   Henry, feel free to remove my sarcasm........but yet I've read lots from spec ed that are worse.
sue
: 124

« #2 : May 27, 2010, 06:52:32 AM »

That's as good an explanation as any...and right on...I was just curious.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : May 28, 2010, 01:44:19 AM »

You all don't understand bridge construction.
Seems neither do I.

BCota
: 59

concrete is love -- pour it on

« #4 : June 07, 2010, 11:25:21 AM »

not certain but this seems logical:

the current span could also be responsible for stabilizing the abutment walls at each end of the bridge, thus preventing them from caving into the brook;  in order to install the new bridge, the old one must first be cut into manageable/moveable sections and removed leaving the abutment walls to support themselves...it is possible that they are providing mechanical stabilization (likely in the form of tie-back anchors or similar) of the abutments to make certain that they don't move towards each other during or after removal of the present bridge span...

also could have something to do with erosion control, underground utilities, or as previously noted: "boys with toys"...

you don't go reaching into a haystack for a needle if you know there's a whole lotta needles in there
: [1]  
« previous next »
: