Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:58:07 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Police Cruiser in Accident
« previous next »
: [1]
: Police Cruiser in Accident  ( 7375 )
Chris Santee
: 2653

« : May 11, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »

STATE OF VERMONT
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

VERMONT STATE POLICE
PRESS RELEASE

MOTOR VEHICLE CRASH                                                                       
CASE#:  10A101854

TROOPER:  Ashley Barnes
STATION:  Williston                     
CONTACT#:  (802) 878-7111

DATE/TIME:  05/11/10 at 08:35
LOCATION (specific):  I-89, Colchester, VT

OPERATOR:  Tamara Rimash;  age 40;  of Shelburne, VT                   :
DESCRIPTION OF VEHICLE:  Subaru Outback 

OPERATOR:  Rachel Humphrey; age 27;  of Winooski, VT       
DESCRIPTION OF VEHICLE:  Toyota Rav4

OPERATOR:  Edward Bracey;  age 68;  of the Franklin County Sheriffs Office
DESCRIPTION OF VEHICLE:  Ford Crown Victoria Police Car

HOSPITAL:   N/A               
WEATHER:  Clear and Dry   
ROAD CONDITIONS:  Dry Blacktop

SUMMARY OF CRASH:
On 05-11-10 at approximately 0835 hours VSP - Williston dispatch was advised of a three vehicle collision on I-89 North adjacent to mile-marker 91/95 in Colchester.  Initial information obtained was that one of the vehicles involved was a Franklin County Sheriffs Department cruiser. 

The initial investigation revealed that an unidentified non-contact vehicle traveling in the right (drive) lane of I-89 North slowed dramatically when it approached a marked Vermont State Police cruiser that had a vehicle stopped in the breakdown lane of I-89 North at MM 91/95.  The operator of the unidentified vehicle began to merge into the left lane. 

The vehicle driven by Tamara Rimash was in the left (passing) lane, was forced to slow abruptly to avoid the unidentified vehicle.  Rachel Humphrey, who was traveling behind Tamara Rimash, was unable to slow in time and subsequently rear-ended the Subaru Outback.  The Franklin County Sheriffs Department cruiser, which was being operated by Deputy Edward Bracey, subsequently rear-ended Toyota RAV4.

The FCSD cruiser sustained substantial front-end damage.  The Toyota RAV4 sustained moderate front and rear-end damage and the Subaru Outback sustained minor rear-end damage.  There were no reported injuries in this collision.

The exact cause of this collision, as well as the identity of the non-contact vehicle operator, are still under investigation.  Anyone who witnessed this collision is asked to contact Trooper Ashley Barnes at the State Police Barracks in Williston at 878-7111.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« #1 : May 11, 2010, 10:30:16 PM »

As far as I know, if you rear-end another vehicle you are automatically at fault since it implies that you were not under control of your vehicle (i.e. not leaving enough distance between you and the other vehicle).  In any other case I have heard of, the vehicle that rear-ended the other is always found to be a fault, I am interested to see what the outcome of this is considering that a Sheriff car is the one in question. Considering that police officers tend to tailgate any vehicle in front of them, I am not really surprised that instances like this happen from time to time...
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : May 13, 2010, 12:18:02 AM »

Did I mis read what Chris posted?
Seemed to be copied and pasted verbatim.

I read that as the police vehicle had a vehicle stopped.
Hence no motion on the police vehicle.

Key point here is that NO ONE was injured.

Chris Santee
: 2653

« #3 : May 13, 2010, 05:15:19 AM »

A Vermont State Police cruiser was conducting a traffic stop when the other vehicles, including a Franklin County Sheriff's Department cruiser, approached the scene on I-89.

We now have a law in Vermont for drivers to slow and pull to the left lane, to give room to the officers conducting traffic stops.
This guy/gal slowed abruptly, and, well, crash - bang - boom.

Great news no one was injured, but DON'T TAILGATE !!!

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
vtoutdoorguymb
: 136

« #4 : May 13, 2010, 11:49:40 PM »

Did I mis read what Chris posted?
Seemed to be copied and pasted verbatim.

I read that as the police vehicle had a vehicle stopped.
Hence no motion on the police vehicle.

Wow for a second I was confused too... the trooper had a car stopped but a sheriffs car rear-ended a vehicle...  Not a very good explanation of events on the articles part I don't think... Anyway, I am also glad that nobody is hurt but I do hope that the incident is looked at, as clearly the sheriff car and the rav4 were traveling too closely to each other...
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #5 : May 14, 2010, 12:41:43 AM »

Opps,

I DID mis read or was mis lead by the OFFICIAL posting. (Not Chris's fault)

What are the odds!?

That is why they are called ACCIDENTS!!!!

Someone is buying doughnutz for awhile!!!

GO BILLS
: [1]  
« previous next »
: