Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:06:42 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  What, Nothing About The Red Sox & That Other Team??
« previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4
: What, Nothing About The Red Sox & That Other Team??  ( 39088 )
Dick Brown
: 414

« #30 : August 17, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »

Just finished reading a book entitled " Cardboard Gods " written by Josh Wilker, who grew up in East Randolph , Vermont and used to collect baseball cards at the  Country Store in that town and also at Floyd's General Store in Randolph Center.  Baseball fans will enjoy it, I think , especially since his " growing up time " was in the early 70's and Yaz was his favorite player. Some of his hours were spent working on a neighbor's farm, Buster Olney 's folks place. The same Buster Olney who now is a major contributor to the ESPN Shows " Baseball Tonight " and " Sportscenter ". Lots of little-known facts about the game in this novel written by a former Vermonter.
Doyle78
: 46

« #31 : August 18, 2010, 02:43:46 PM »

sounds like a good book. my "growing up time" is in the same time period and my brother and i collected a few baseball cards in the early and mid 70's.  i have no clue where they are now. my mom may have disposed of them or they may be still in my old room somewhere. at the time we were not very educated on collecting cards, so being red sox fans that was all we looked for. all others were not treated so well. we may have lost a fortune. my dad was not a red sox fan and he really did not like yaz. my dad was a dodgers fan. the dodgers won the world series in 1988, the year my dad died. i always thought he had a hand in that, seeing as they were underdogs that year....remember kirk gibson. any ways sounds like a book i would like to read, barnes and noble here i come.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #32 : August 18, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »

I have Tony C's rookie card in a frame still.
I look at it from time to time and remember.
http://www.bostonspastime.com/tonycbeaning.html
August 18th

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Dick Brown

« #33 : August 18, 2010, 07:01:53 PM »

Congratulations Chris for keeping Tony C.'s card around .....I believe that he was the youngest player ever to hit a grand slam for the Red Sox ( perhaps in 1966 or 1965 when he was barely 20 years old , I think ) .
In 1973 my son Jeff managed to get on the field at the Red Sox Spring Training Camp in Winter Haven and get Yaz's autograph. We had it laminated and he kept it in a special place. When we were moving out of Fairfax in 1981, and Jeff was away at college, his mother decided to " get rid of a few things " and the signature went into the trash apparently along with his card collection. I'm not sure who was more upset, Jeff or I when the loss was discovered.
Doyle78

« #34 : August 20, 2010, 06:24:48 AM »

another stinker last night...................god i can't wait for hockey season.
msm
: 211

« #35 : August 20, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »

Yaz, Freddie Lynn and Jim Rice and big kid, Carlton Fisk --- my personal favorites in the '70s -- although they have been replaced by the local Good Guys ... Carl Crawford,  Evan Longoria, Carlos Pena and some very nice young pitchers,  Price,Shields and Garza ..with a new up an coming star,  Jeremy Hellickson .. All players Red Sox would love to have -- and players the Evil Empire would love to pay too !!  Don't be surprised if Carl Crawford is playing LF for the Evil Ones Next Year !  But we need to win a World Series in Tampa Bay First !!!   Go Rays

Mike M
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #36 : August 20, 2010, 02:07:40 PM »

As a kid, Mom and Dad made a few trips to Winter Haven with us girls to see Spring Training.  I also got Yaz's autograph Mr. Brown! One of my favorites.  Some others I got and treasure are Dwight Evans, Jim Rice, Lou Tiant, Gary Allenson, Rich Gedman, Butch Hobson, and Ted Williams was in the crowd and I ran up and asked for his too!

It was so much fun and wonderful family memories to go watch a Red Sox game!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Dick Brown

« #37 : August 20, 2010, 07:38:27 PM »

Dennis   if you didn't like last night's game, you must be really bummed about tonight and also with the news that Pedroia is back on the DL . As MSM says , probably Crawford & Pena...or at least one of them........ will end up with the Evil Empire next year.....more depressing news !!  Is it true that God wears pinstripes ?????????
Doyle78

« #38 : August 20, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »

i'm pretty sure satan wears pinstripes and red white and blue in the winter. you may think satan is from new jersey but i know  he spends his winters in montreal.
Dick Brown

« #39 : August 22, 2010, 02:00:56 PM »

Dennis              Is it true that it takes 3 Bruins to score a goal against Montreal ???? One to pass the puck, one to shoot the puck and one to knock the goalie out of the crease ????
Doyle78

« #40 : August 22, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »

no one needs  to touch a montreal goalie to have him falling to the ice and writhing in "pain". they would be better suited playing world cup soccer, or take up acting professionally. also if memory serves correctly mario tremblay and ivan lambert were very good at knocking goalies out of the way and more often than not the officials were inept idiots, actually they still are. i could not play pro hockey cause i would be in the penalty box all the time for arguing with those morons. any way redsox won buchholz should pitch every other day. right now i'm suffering from beckett belly, every time he pitches i get sick to my stomach.
Doyle78

« #41 : August 24, 2010, 11:30:10 PM »

well i was spared my beckett belly ache tonight...................rain out.
Dick Brown

« #42 : August 27, 2010, 11:21:14 AM »

Am up in Illinois at my son's house and just got caught up on reading the Boston Globe ( & Henry's Forum ) on line, of course. The Sports section in the Globe reports that Beltre got ejected Wednesday night for trash-talking to the Seattle Pitcher from his position at third base while warming up for the top of the third inning...the thing was that they were trash talking in Spanish and the first year ump thought they were talking about him , which they may have been doing, but since he ( the ump ) can't speak that language , he kind of jumped the gun !!!!    Wonder what the League Office will do about this ???  Sox-Rays tonight.....good night to Sox hopes for wild card ???????     
Doyle78

« #43 : August 27, 2010, 10:25:08 PM »

the sox come to town and you leave? must be you thought you would jinx them. lester was not very sharp but still won. hey how is jeff ? i have not seen or heard anything of him in almost forever.
Dick Brown

« #44 : August 28, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »

Dennis    Thanks for asking. He lives about 20 miles from Chicago in the NW Suburbs and is probably the only die-hard Red Sox fan within 100 miles. Maybe he'll have more to be excited about tonight after Bucholtz buzzes the Rays.....or maybe not. Whatever, he has NESN, so at least I am assured of listening to Remy & Orscillo.
By the way, I heard on ESPN that Bucholtz & Lester are leading the AL in ERA percentage.....the bad news is that there's a significant gap between they and the other three starters for the Sox , and therein lies part of the story.
The Rays have trouble putting 20,000 fans in their park every night ( built for 45,000+ ) , not because there isn't interest in their team, but no one wants to experience traffic problems in Tampa & St. Pete before and after the game . It'll be awhile before an event like having to attend a game at Fenway ( in spite of expensive seats, expensive parking, expensive concessions and depressing losses ) takes precedent in Central Florida as it does in new England . TV viewership and fan interest are extremely high though AND they are an exciting team that plays good baseball.         
: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
: