Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:37:37 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Pictures of the Day 3/1/10 and Blog- The Year of the Earthquake
« previous next »
: [1]
: Pictures of the Day 3/1/10 and Blog- The Year of the Earthquake  ( 2810 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : February 28, 2010, 11:41:24 PM »

Monday March 1, 2010
Pictures of the Day

Santiago, Chile Sunday newspaper

Hawaiian newspapers.

THE YEAR OF THE EARTHQUAKE

I will talk about the Olympics tomorrow, but for today................

First Haiti. Now Chile. And the thing is, these things usually come in threes.
We spent a lot of time watching the coverage of the earthquake Saturday when we could, amid, English soccer, town meeting, and the Olympics. Of course, we waited with baited breath when tsunami warning went up for Hawaii. Luckily, that didn't happen.
I have an app for the iPhone called Mappity Quakes. It lists all sesmic activity that is registered with the United States Geographical Society. There are a lot of small 1.4-1.9 earthquakes in Southern California on an hourly basis.
Remember a number of years back, when we had a pretty good earthquake just before 7am on a Saturday?
That was listed as a 5.2 or 5.4 earthquake. It shook us pretty good.
Chile has had about 25 aftershocks of 5.0 PLUS in the last 24 hours. At least 3 have been 6.0 and above.
So imagine have that Saturday morning earthquake happening almost everyhour. And that doesn't include the large number of 4.9 and below aftershocks mixed in. It must feel like the ground is shaking every 15 minutes.
This happened in the middle of the night. Makes me wonder what the carnage would be in the middle of the day with the roads full of cars.
Just like the weather, everything is happening below us.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: