Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:45:05 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Public input on ordinances
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Public input on ordinances  ( 10833 )
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« : January 28, 2010, 05:26:35 AM »

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks about a Curfew ordinance in our town on persons under 16?

Maybe it would help in the warmer months with preventing so of the vandalism that has been occurring over the last year.

Also what are thoughts on a ATV ordinance for the town?

I feel that these items seem to be long over due as a lot of towns have them.  Well post away.

Thanks,

Josh

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
mary
: 32

« #1 : January 28, 2010, 07:10:28 AM »

If you are not familiar with it, may want to review the state law regarding ATV use - Title 23, Chap 31.

Am not in favor of a curfew.
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #2 : January 28, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »

Curfews in my opinion do no good.  Yes, the "good kids" will follow it.  But, the "bad ones" wouldn't (thusly why they are the bad ones..).
And the same for the ATVs, honest law abiding people already know and follow the laws for them.  An ordinance would mean nothing for the "lawbreakers".

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
cestreet
: 37

« #3 : January 28, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »

I would be strongly against a curfew ordinance.  Way too "Big Brotheresque" for me.

ATV ordinance might not be a bad idea, assuming the intent would be to put rules around responsible and reasonable use of ATVs and not altogether banning them.  I personally hate the things, but wouldn't want to get all "Big Brother" on this one either.

Clarice Streets
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #4 : January 28, 2010, 04:57:38 PM »

And, is either enforceable?
red
: 41

« #5 : January 29, 2010, 06:41:33 AM »

I am against a curfew. I do not think it would change anything.
greenek
: 54

« #6 : January 29, 2010, 07:10:52 AM »

I disagree with a town curfew. I think it comes down to parenting. As parents, we all have the right and responsibility to set boundaries for our children, as well as get to know exactly who our children are hanging out with. I would also include getting to know our childrens friends parents.

I remember growing up that I had to be home at a certain time, and that if I did not, I knew what the consequences were. My mom always seemed to be able to find out if I was somewhere or doing something that she didn't approve of.

Kevin
Stand Alone Defense

« #7 : January 29, 2010, 08:06:33 AM »

OK thank you all for the input.  Mary I'm aware of Title 23, chap 31 I was referring to 23 V.S.A. Sec. 3510 of chapter 31 covering a town ordinance on ATVs.  I'm in no way against the responsible use of ATVs in Fairfax, I am a avid rider myself.  It is the reckless operation that is concerning the wheelies on mainstreet and the racing around on public roads.  The point of an ordinance would be to hold people accountable for their actions if you don't follow the rules you pay a fine.  It was just a thought but it is not possible without public support that is why I was asking.

As far as the Curfew I'm seeing that that is not popular at all. LOL

Thanks again for the Input everyone.

cedarman
: 370

« #8 : January 29, 2010, 08:10:48 AM »

Josh,

Thank you for asking about these issues to see where people in our town stand. It's more than a lot of people in policy making do.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #9 : January 30, 2010, 04:07:10 AM »

FXDHS,

Excellent question.

Like the Rev. asked, is it ENFORCEABLE?
I think not.
You'd be opening a big arse can of worms if you tried.

Parenting is the issue, so I "think".

I try NOT to think....it hurts my head too much.

trussell
: 870

« #10 : January 30, 2010, 09:47:40 AM »

I try NOT to think

And that's probably a good idea, Mike- when you start to "think" you tend to post.  A lot. Let's not tie us Henry's website too much ;)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Stand Alone Defense

« #11 : January 30, 2010, 11:54:10 PM »

Yes the point of making a ordinance is to make it enforceable with a schedule of fines.  It would be no different then a Dog ordinance or speed limit postings

Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #12 : January 31, 2010, 12:52:51 AM »

Josh.

It is a good idea.... but who will enforce it?

How can you enforce it?

We have a similar ordinance here in Anchorage.

It seems the Popo let the bears eat the violators.
I do NOT agree with that, by the way.
slpott
: 457

« #13 : January 31, 2010, 12:34:56 PM »

Josh, I think a curfew would be wonderful. It would not affect the youth from being in their own yards or friends of theirs but it would hopefully encourage them to keep out of others. I also think it might help in making parents accountable for their kids. Fine the parents when their kids get into trouble and they might put forth more effort in raising good products of society. It is a much needed requirement. It is totally amazing to me the lack of responsibilkity some parents have. If you can not control your child what makes you think it is our responsibility. A lot of times laws are opposed because people are afraid they might get broken. This is only my opinion but if my child was to make the decision to do something illegal, I would certainly hope it was the last. Illegal to me includes violating someone elses belonging or self. Big or small, you have no right. Regardless, there is a curfew in my house and my children better not be roaming the streets. My husband does not agree with a curfew and feels children have the same rights as we do. Difference of opinion is good balance.
Stand Alone Defense

« #14 : January 31, 2010, 11:12:20 PM »

Well Mike,  It being a town ordinance I could enforce it and write fines just as I do the Dog ordinance.  The idea actually came from a Military friend of mine that is a constable in Missouri.  Here is the ordinance reads

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of sixteen (16) to be present upon any public street, alley, or other public or quasi-public place in the City between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. unless:
1.   Accompanied by a parent, guardian, employer or some other person of legal age having charge of the minor's lawful care, custody and control;
2.   Returning home by direct route from and within thirty (30) minutes after a school activity, an activity of religious or supervised voluntary association, such as scouts, 4-H, community leagues or other community events.  Examples of community events shall include dances, community celebrations and carnivals;
3.   Is in a place or returning home from such place, connected with and required by some legitimate business, trade, profession or occupation in which the minor is permitted by law to be engaged.

(c) For the purpose of this Ordinance quasi-public place shall be defined as an area in private ownership which is established for the convenience of the public as a members, invited guests or business visitors and shall include, but not necessarily be limited to parking lots, business establishments, shopping center areas, school and church grounds or arcade amusement centers.

it's what they have in place again our town would need to make our own guide lines but it gives you an idea.  His fines seemed a little steep to me to $150 first offence and up top $500 for the the third.  Like I said it is something I was thinking about and just wanted some input before it started getting warm. 

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: