Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:05:47 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  No need for a Fairfax Police Department
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: No need for a Fairfax Police Department  ( 14307 )
Mummy
: 280

« : January 27, 2010, 08:18:05 AM »

All of the discussion about the need for a Police Department was not necessary.  The VSP took care of it in record time along with a twist that only a Hollywood would have come up with.  Thank You VSP for working this as fast as you did. 

Celt9 (I think this was your id name) don't feel bad, you said what you felt and some would agree with you but will never release it into words.  I agreed with you on 80% of what you said but I don't agree that we need a Police Department.  Truly, this little Town of Fairfax doesn't have enough crime for a Town owned Police Department.
mirjo
: 785

« #1 : January 27, 2010, 06:00:29 PM »

So the forum dwellers don't get the satisfaction of learning the outcome??? Was it on the news? In the paper?

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
monte198
: 79

« #2 : January 27, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »

The outcome was in the newspaper but haven't seen it in on the news.  It seems that there are more charges to come.  Possibly on victim and offender.
DrewCrash
: 104

« #3 : January 27, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »

I can say that I can support the belief that Fairfax doesn't require its own police department, but I do support increased patrolling by the Sheriff department. As in, we pay for more than just 40 hours of coverage a week.

I am not looking to get into a bulletin board debate, but just don't want one individual's belief to be the only viewpoint out here.
mirjo

« #4 : January 27, 2010, 10:55:17 PM »

Finally saw the story.
If you lay down with dogs, you're going to get fleas.
I feel really bad for the pregnant woman offering all that cash in defense of her brother.  Not that I think he should have been beaten the way he was, but sheesh!

Mummy

« #5 : January 27, 2010, 11:34:40 PM »

We're not talking about "that" under this title ... just the debate over a Police Department.  Although, that is an excellent view point about the pregnant mother's $$$ - perhaps you should start a "new topic" for that discussion.
mirjo

« #6 : January 28, 2010, 12:01:36 PM »

Well, then...
Fairfax likely doesn't need an entire police department, but it certainly needs better support in some fashion or other. I think there was some discussion/controversy (what isn't?) a few years ago about training for the constables.

Speed traps in the center of town are fine for generating revenue for the Sheriff's dept (which is the purpose, certainly), but not a deterrent of any sort for the criminal element lurking about. The solution is obviously not going to be a single approach, but a combination of things.

The best ideas come from brainstorming to see what comes up--nothing is out of the question initially. How to do this large scale thinking town-wide is difficult since most people prefer not to be involved in anything or be bothered.

A good example is the population of the town is approximately 5000 people (I think), give or take 1000. I think only about a 3rd or less of the population are registered voters in the town. Since there are only about 1000 students in all of BFA--some of which are from other towns, the majority of the population is adults.

All of the important decisions regarding the town are made by a very small number of its residents.  This may not be considered the appropriate topic for this thread, but many veer off the chosen path all the time.

The law enforcement needs of the town should be determined by everyone... maybe a campaign to register voters before town meeting is needed?

Shadylane08
: 125

« #7 : January 28, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »

I know this isn't the forum for this but does anyone have the link the article about how the andy naylor thing panned out?  I already pretty much know what happened but I'd like to see how its worded in an article.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #8 : January 28, 2010, 03:43:19 PM »

There has been no official press release by the police - The article is a media interpretation, not necessarily accurate.  Shadylane8 I am sure you have heard 4 or 5 versions of the story as have I and it keeps changing - I just don't feel right about posting something that is going to change again, especially when we are talking about individuals many of us know.  The media does not always necessarily get it right and will never be able to pull back something that is erroneous.
« : January 28, 2010, 04:09:40 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Mummy

« #9 : January 28, 2010, 06:21:49 PM »

That topic has nothing to do with this title.
DrewCrash
: 104

« #10 : January 29, 2010, 12:14:25 AM »

Mummy is very defensive of her here thread...

So I was in Manhattan today for the first time in my life. They have cops on horses here. Maybe if we get a police department, we could buy them horses instead of cars. There is a cost savings opportunity. They also have a naked guitar player in Times Square who really isn't naked. But I bet if the 158 Main management knew of him and they were real Business Men, they could hire him for their Grand Opening. Just a thought.

In other news, a baby was born, a man cried in his apartment, and my daughter's 'bear' is still missing.
Mummy

« #11 : January 29, 2010, 08:00:20 AM »

Yeah, Drewcrash I just try to follow the instructions to set a "good" example for others.  General Chit Chat is located under General Discussion.  It's a lot like what does the price of tea in China has to do with a Fairfax Police Department?  Nothing - it means nothing, so it is a waste of time for those who see a subject and expect to find information pertaining to that subject not something totally off the wall!  But hey do whatever you want ... it's a free world ain't it? 
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #12 : January 29, 2010, 08:10:28 AM »

Is there a lot of concrete there, Drew ?

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Shadylane08
: 125

« #13 : January 29, 2010, 08:25:32 AM »

Actually I think the discussion about the need for a police department was derived from that incident so I would think that it does have a little something to do with this title.  I'm sorry your so against random "chit chat" but then again whats a forum or blog without it?
mirjo

« #14 : January 29, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »

Umm...JD Salinger died. The Catcher in the Rye is a great book if you haven't read it. But if you're the sensitive type who doesn't like cursing, don't bother, your eyes will bleed! :P

And for the record, I DID say a lot about police in an earlier post and other stuff....

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: