Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:13:26 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Tales Of Our Community
| | |-+  CLASS OF BFA 1925 FORCE PRINCIPAL TO SIGN DIPLOMA
« previous next »
: [1]
: CLASS OF BFA 1925 FORCE PRINCIPAL TO SIGN DIPLOMA  ( 11074 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 19, 2006, 08:21:01 AM »

CLASS OF BFA 1925 FORCE PRINCIPAL TO SIGN DIPLOMA

Parents of Eight B. F. A. Students in Presence of Trustees Demand Signature of School Head to Degrees

(Special to the Free Press)

Fairfax, June 11, 1925 – A school squabble, which threatened to leave eight members of the senior class of Bellows Free Academy, Fairfax, without Principal J. H. Wright’s signature, had a more or less happy ending last night after commencement exercises when parents of the eight students, in the presence of the school trustees, demanded his signature and finally obtained it.

The trouble, it is understood, started in March when Principal Wright objected to attendance of school pupils at public dances.  When his request was ignored, it is alleged, Mr. Wright sought to discipline the recalcitrants in various ways.  The seniors, who felt resentment seriously, left school.  The matter was finally adjusted it is said, when seven of the seniors apologized and returned to school.  One young woman, who returned, however, failed to make the proper amends and although finishing the course with the highest honors of the class, did not take part in the exercises, it is said.

That everything was not going along smoothly as usual at such occasions was apparent to some of the spectators.  Recipients of diplomas noted the omission of the signature of the principal.  Miss Carolyn A. Ballard, president of the class, and who had the highest honors, was not among the graduates seated on the stage and although playing the piano for the exercises did not receive her diploma until afterwards, it is asserted.  It is understood that Principal Wright will not return next fall.

University scholarships were awarded to Roger Cyril Rugg and Miss Lillian Burleson.  It is intimated that Principal Wright attached his signature to that of his daughter’s and Roger Rugg’s.

The members of the class are:  Latin course: Lillian Mary Burleson, Secretary, Albert William Rich, Roger Cyril Rugg, Harlow Cecil Wood, Mary Augusta Wright.  English course: Carolyn, Anna Ballard, President, Clifford William Lanois, Eulea Nellie Morton, Very Edna Spaulding, Treasurer and Perle Mary Vincent, Vice-President

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: