Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:42:50 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Vehicle igniton locks pro/cons
« previous next »
: [1]
: Vehicle igniton locks pro/cons  ( 4344 )
monte198
: 79

« : January 23, 2010, 10:37:44 AM »

I am currently drafting a letter in regards to igniton locks (dui prevention devices) and cell phone use in vehicles while driving.  I have read mulitple articles about the locks but fail to see how they would work if you get someone else to blow in them or you simply take a diffrent vehicle.  Some do have a key code combination that does need to be entered but whos to say all that use them are honest.  I am leaning towards comparing these ignition locks to phone probation check ins.  Yes some people can simply dial a phone when on probation and check in on a automated system.  In my opinion both are a unneeded cost. 

Also included in this letter will ideas on snowmobile safety will be addressed.  More than simple police patrols on the trails but more toward educations and public awareness.

Any ideas?
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : January 23, 2010, 01:35:50 PM »

The DUI ignition thingy is called an Interlock, Innerlock? so I am told.

There ought to be a device installed on Henry's forums you need to blow into before posting.
I am with CoCo.
trussell
: 870

« #2 : January 23, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »

Mike, it's a good thing you're "grandfathered in", otherwise you'd be banned from the forum for sure! :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : January 23, 2010, 08:06:06 PM »

T-Man,

No pics of me with a SNOW-HO and bra dangling in the background.......hmmmmmmmmm
(I destroy evidence)
mirjo
: 785

« #4 : January 25, 2010, 10:31:13 AM »

Children, please the man was asking a question! Duke it out on Facebook, this is for serious bidness, dontcha know? :P

I think it's safe to say that nothing is fool proof. I forget the reason for the ignition lock...is it to keep people off the streets, out of jail, or ?? As far as cost effectiveness goes, it's my understanding the expense of the lock falls entirely on the guilty party--perhaps there needs to be some other checks and balances to go with it, but as I said, nothing is fool proof. Unfortunately, if someone is determined to drink and drive, he/she is going to do it. If friends and family are allowing it, then they are just as guilty. Perhaps when dui charges start extending out to those who allow the driver in the car then maybe something will change. ?? As it stands, 18 y/o are smarter than most 50 y/o when it comes to drinking & driving...and don't kid yourself about "underage drinking."

As for the probation phone-in, I think there are some situations that is likely okay for and others not so much. I trust that the probation officers in charge know the elements they're dealing with and can make those decisions accordingly. It's like those Bud Lite commercials  depicting "too heavy & too light," same thing.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
cedarman
: 370

« #5 : January 26, 2010, 06:38:31 AM »

I don't agree with extending DWI charges (and criminal punishments/direct fines) to people not directly involved with driving the car while drunk.  That would be extending the concept that someone else is responsible for our own actions.  We do NOT need more of that belief in our society.

Interlocks should be a requirement for anyone convicted of DWI.  IF you want to extend the pain to everyone in around them, make interlocks required for EVERY vehicle registered to the same household as the offender.  Cost to be paid by the offender or family members to have a legal registration.  OH, and NO bypasses.  EVERYONE blows in the tube.  Every time they do, they'll remember who is responsible for them having to deal with the hassle, and MAYBE they will remind that person all the time.

I agree that younger people might be more responsible about not drinking and driving.  They've grown up being bombarded by information about it being bad.  The older generation grew up at a time where some town cops would give a drunk driver a ride home (in the front seat), or follow them home.  It was a time when it wasn't enforce and cracked down on like it is now. 
mirjo
: 785

« #6 : January 26, 2010, 12:38:58 PM »

That's a great idea and  what I was getting at, but didn't put it out there the right way--if the pain/suffering/humiliation extends beyond the guilty party in some manner it would have a far greater impact  teaching the desired lesson, because Jr. is not going to appreciate his life being adversely affected by Sr's stupidity and he will remind Sr. frequently of how irritated he is by said stupidity. Likely driving the point home far better than any judge/jury/cop/lawyer or steep fine ever could!

It's unfortunate to make an entire family suffer for the misdeeds of one person, but if that is the only way to crack down on Drunk Driving, then maybe it's time to think outside of the box on the issue. What's ridiculous is the repeat offenders that are caught. That's a system failure. Obviously the deterrents aren't enough to stop people at this point.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: