Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:31:37 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Walmart Wins Case - Can Build In St. Albans
« previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4
: Walmart Wins Case - Can Build In St. Albans  ( 40716 )
Formerflatlander
: 67

« #30 : January 27, 2010, 07:35:03 AM »

I wonder if Target made the attempt to locate here what the reaction would have been.
slpott
: 457

« #31 : January 27, 2010, 07:39:26 AM »

I remember hearing stories like "so and so gave money" or "so and so helped blah blah blah". Now it seems like an expectation and if you don't do it your on the judgment list. This is not just walmart but idividuals too. I know for us we changed our yearly local contribution and provided Christmas for a friend of ours with 3 kids who was going through a nasty divorce. I felt guilty for not keeping it local but........ I think if we looked at donations and contribution as being kind, we could get away from it being expected. Just because a man works hard and gets paid a good salary does not automatically mean he has to share with the poor. I think it is a given that they share with the less fortunate but in my opinion there is a difference. Not too long ago and for many years my husband and I were somewhat less than fortunate. We were blessed with kindness from others and it made a world of difference. Today I would say that we pay it forward more than not but it would take all the joy out of it if it was expected. One of our favortie ways to help is to do something least expected. Like the family that dreads the oil man coming because they can't pay for the oil to heat their house and they get a paid in full receipt. That is an incredible feeling. Now, if the government or someone else said "you have to fill so and so's tank" I would not want to do it. That is when it becomes "not incredible". Or, the same family expects us to do it. I personally think there is a big difference. One of the reasons I do the "Art in Bloom" is to teach my kids that you need to help if you can no matter what but it is their choice as to where. I chose Fire and Rescue. It all starts at home. While we are preparing our kids to learn at school we should also be preparing them to be a great product of society. We are very fortunate here in Fairfax.
mirjo
: 785

« #32 : January 27, 2010, 06:45:35 PM »

I think Target would have been a welcome change from a Wal-Mart every 50 square miles, but I have heard it doesn't want to come here.?? I don't know how people know these things, but I've heard this rumor. There doesn't seem to be the controversy over Target that there is with WM. It doesn't have the notorious reputation for some reason. Maybe the execs just know how to fly under the criticism radar?

Although both stores are the same type, I think Target has slightly higher quality stuff. The clothing seems to be better made (children with well developed fine motor skills?) and the whole appearance of the stores I've been in (in NH) is much neater than any Wal-Mart I've ever seen from here to Indiana. It's like they actually pay people to straighten stuff on the shelves,  put things away and DUST. Not say hello and give you a cart.

I think as far as discount department stores go--that place that has a little of everything you might need for a reasonable price, I think Target is pretty decent. I don't know why it's a notch above WM, it just is. I don't know why it isn't maligned in the press like it's low-rent counter part, it just isn't.

What I think is an interesting bit of pop culture is you will see Target ads with a celebrity in them singing the praises of Target  and it has been reported in magazines before certain celebs who shop at Target, but never do you see a celeb  hawking a WM store anywhere. If they enter them at all it's very very secret!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
DrewCrash
: 104

« #33 : January 27, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »

Was at a 250,000 square foot Cabela's tonight. Imagine that in Vermont. You want to talk about BIG BOX store...

I don't hunt or fish and I have to tell you, I have never been so lost in a single store in my life. If you need a gun, camouflage, a fishing pole, or a bow...this is the place to go.

I am just thankful a Wal-Mart will be in St. Albans and I will be contributing more of my money within Franklin County versus Chittendon County.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #34 : January 28, 2010, 03:45:02 AM »

Walmart VS Target.

We NOW have 3 Tragets in Anchorage.
They speak English in Target. (sorta)

Formerflatlander
: 67

« #35 : January 28, 2010, 08:42:30 AM »

You Betcha!
mirjo

« #36 : January 28, 2010, 09:07:49 AM »

So how is it that two stores that have the same basic concept, sell the same basic stuff, serve the same basic demographic, have vastly different reputations? It's a mystery Scooby. Must be the logo is more appealing?

Shadylane08
: 125

« #37 : January 28, 2010, 10:13:57 AM »

The best part of walmart is people watching!  I bet with a brand new walmart in st. albans we should be able to contribute to the great website peopleofwalmart.com

I can't wait!
mirjo

« #38 : January 28, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »

I have been to that website and  although it is funny, it is also disturbing and not to mention incredibly mean. My serious, sensible, adult side questions whether there are any legal issues (along with the moral ones) in photographing unsuspecting people, posting their image on the web for the world to see, then making fun of them mercilessly?

Conversely, the degenerate juvenile in me thinks people should be more considerate of others when going out in public and deserve to be picked on. :P

Shadylane08
: 125

« #39 : January 28, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »

By the look of the people on that website 99.9% of the people have it coming to them haha
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #40 : January 28, 2010, 08:22:18 PM »

I am not a Walmart,Homedepot or Lowes fan, I find there stores to be crowded, no one around that can help you, and usually only 1 register open. However I do shop there accasionally because of the wide variaty of items they carry. And the HOURS they are open. St. Albans needs Home Depot and too bad the Lowes back out, currently I go to Plattsburg on shopping trips. There are very few stores in St. A, even less that are open after 6pm weekdays, less that are open on saturdays and almost none that are open Sunday's. Being a working person these are the times I can shop. I would love to do any shopping I have in St A I drive by twice aday, BUT they have to have stores that serve the public and are open when WE need them.
Cat

« #41 : January 28, 2010, 08:25:41 PM »

I have heard that Target has said they would never even try to come to Vermont because of all the hoops a business like theirs has to jump through.
DrewCrash

« #42 : January 29, 2010, 12:08:55 AM »

I heard that Neiman Marcus and Crate & Barrell are building environmentally friendly, 100% powered by wind and solar, shopping extravaganzas in St. Albans. But I am more impressed with the fact that Range Rover is moving their global manufacturing center to Richford.

I tell you, it's just amazing the things I hear.

mirjo

« #43 : January 29, 2010, 08:45:03 AM »

YAY, an economic boom! Jobs for everyone!!!

Yes, a little too much coffee and perhaps the need to focus on something a little more constructive.

Will there be extra police/security detail?

DrewCrash

« #44 : January 29, 2010, 12:45:48 PM »

I heard that there will not be extra security or police coverage. Wal-Mart is looking to eradicate the problems that have plagued there store, such as graffiti and shoplifting, through other methods. As a result of the governments efforts to remove only illegal aliens who are not from Earth, the Ghostbusters are currently unemployed. In an effort to continue to increase tax revenue base and lower unemployment, the Ghostbusters will be hired to enforce Wal-Mart's policies of both fighting crime within the store and its property, and to continue to support Wal-Mart's continued 'roll back' pricing efforts.

According to my sources within the Vermont technology community, the following revision changes to the Ghostbusters' equipment are under way.

1. Proton Packs are now being changed to reduce the amount of semi-controlled stream of protons that are fired from this device, thereby reducing the chance of the criminals from getting cancer, by the ultimate reduction of electromagnetic radiation the intended target receives. The device will also have the ability to alter the target's mind, shifting them from a life of illegal crime to one of legal crime (aka...politician).

2. The most exciting revision will be to their Pyscho Kinetic Energy (PKE) Meter. Once a powerful tool that was used to track ghosts and give reads of Pyscho Kinetic Energy. The new version, being developed by the controversial Institute for Capitalism will be renamed the Price Killing Efficiency Meter. The Ghostbusters will be using this meter to scan products throughout the store to determine if prices need to be rolled back, thereby providing the communities with cost efficient options to shop locally. Newly appointed Wal-Mart Chief of Security Egon Spengler believes this option will lead to the local community shopping locally, versus driving 30+ miles to shop. Mr. Spengler doesn't deny the side effects, as he believes gas service stations and restaurants around existing stores may suffer, as a result of shoppers remaining local and supporting local gas stations and supporting local restaurants.

Peter Venkman, Wal-Mart's new Chief Environmental Office, also reports that the reduced driving will reduce the wasteful consumption of gasoline and decrease the amount of fossil fuels an individual will burn in their attempt to efficiently spend their money. 

Wal-Mart has also announced a local scholarship for the renaming of the Ghostbusters to all Franklin County students enrolled in grades 9-12.

...or so I have heard...
: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
: