Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:13:33 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Man Brutally Beaten - Sister Offers $5,000 Reward
« previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4
: Fairfax Man Brutally Beaten - Sister Offers $5,000 Reward  ( 36339 )
mary
: 32

« #30 : January 23, 2010, 09:12:04 AM »

I'm surprised about the negative comments regarding the Sheriff's Department. I've been involved for years in jobs that involve periodic contact with law enforcement or needing to advise others that it is time to involve law enforcement. I generally have good luck in Franklin County with the sheriffs and have found that that for many tense situations having a sheriff who's a little older and more experienced (or who has been mentored by one of these officers) helps diffuse a problem before violence erupts or re-erupts. Have had generally good feedback from people who have sought assistance from the department. (The deputies also know how to get papers served when someone is attempting to evade without it costing an arm and a leg.)  There's a lot of different types of law enforcement duties going on out there - am sure each department and individual officer can learn something from the another.  
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #31 : January 23, 2010, 09:29:48 AM »

Thanks for posting your Uncle Andy's status SNaylor.  We all knew he was in serious condition but had no way of finding out how he was doing.  Please keep us updated.

Henry Raymond
slpott
: 457

« #32 : January 23, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »

I may not be the sharperst tool in the shed but I can not and will not ever think that a school produces these "types" of children. They may educate and assist these children BUT it all starts at home. Not only is it NOT the teachers responsibility to teach morals and standards but it is not their responsibility and shouldn't be. I would highly recommend that each person who has an opinion on this matter spend some time volunteering at the school. You will be blind sided by the things these teachers see and deal with. Maybe our tax dollars should not go to nursing these kids whos parents do not take them to the Doctors or feed these kids breakfast, lunch and leftovers or fruit for dinner knowing there is no food in the house. If the teachers don't do it than it needs to be a community efforts. I agree with taking away welfare but the kids should not be punished in the mean time. I do not know the answers but I do know that although the teachers responsibilities have changed, I do not recall when they said that we could have as many kids as we want, don't have to take care of them or teach them anything and the schools would do it for us. Some of us believe that that is what is happening. If you want to take $$$$$$$ from teachers and pay them for just the teaching and the 3 month vacation they get, you must take all the distractions away too. I personally would lose my mind with their job. Especially for being privy that the teachers do work all summer regardless of what it seems. They take work home everynight to correct, they plan for the weeks, they collect supplies for certain lessons, they talk to complaining parents and sometimes nice ones, they re-do their rooms in the summer, organize and plan for the next year, take required classes to stay current. I know one teacher that had about 2 weeks total vacation (straight time) after doing all the things that were needed to be done. I know I could not do it. I barely keep up with 2 and all their needs. I am very thankful for the teachers but that is only my opinion.
Travis
: 141

« #33 : January 23, 2010, 11:55:23 AM »

First off, I'd like to say that my prayers are with Andy right now. I can only imagine the pain that he and his family are feeling now.

From what I've heard, Andy was a federal informant. Because of this, when they catch these guys, and I'm sure they will eventually, they are going to get a lot of additional time in prison.

I'm with Mike and Ed on this one. Why do I carry a gun? Because I can't carry a cop.

First and foremost, the police are not legally required to protect any specific individual unless of course that person is of special interest, such as a state's witness in court proceedings or politicians, of course. This has been decided by the US Supreme Court. So all the hopes of being perfectly protected from all harm and crimes against you by spending what will ultimately be millions of dollars to hire a small police force are not based in reality. I've heard people complain about the training of the Sheriff's department that we currently have. How much will we be willing to spend on training? Good training is very expensive. Liability is also a huge concern. Hire just one bad apple and we could be on the hook for a multi million dollar lawsuit.

Even if you lived next door to a police station, you cannot expect them to protect you instantly. They cannot be everywhere all of the time. When something like what happened to Andy happens, having the police respond in 2 minutes, is still 2 minutes too late. Remember this... when seconds count, the police are minutes away.

The only person responsible for yours and your family's safety is you.
Mummy
: 280

« #34 : January 23, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »

Well put Travis!
celts79

« #35 : January 23, 2010, 01:26:10 PM »

edited ...
« : January 24, 2010, 05:27:54 PM celts79 »
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #36 : January 23, 2010, 01:38:27 PM »

Interlock needed.
celts79

« #37 : January 23, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »

edited ...
« : January 24, 2010, 05:28:09 PM celts79 »
Travis
: 141

« #38 : January 23, 2010, 01:51:46 PM »

First and foremost, the police are not legally required to protect any specific individual - Hire just one bad apple and we could be on the hook for a multi million dollar lawsuit.

You have no idea what you're talking about and even less about Law enforcement. Furthermore, what moron would ever think that any PD could completely protect them from harms way your statements are ludicrous, your argument is ridiculous... 

I'm afraid that you are the one that has no idea what you are talking about. Please take a moment and educate yourself on the US Supreme Court decision Castle Rock vs Gonzales. An individual has no right to police protection, even in the presence of a restraining order.

It seems that some people would rather abdicate their personal responsibility of self protection to the government. And I'm the one with my head buried in the sand?
celts79

« #39 : January 23, 2010, 01:54:41 PM »

edited ...
« : January 24, 2010, 05:26:28 PM celts79 »
Mbsc
: 1

« #40 : January 23, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »

The people posting on this thread should stop and think about opening up a new one. How would you feel to be a member of the Naylor family posting some news about your loved one to read some of the comments on this site? I would think they would rather see well wishes and offers of support

Has any one in town started a fund at the local bank for people to give donations to?  If so maybe someone could post the information for the people that have moved out of town that would like to help Andy and his family.

I hope that Andy has a full recovery and can get back on his feet soon.

celts79

« #41 : January 23, 2010, 05:05:48 PM »

edited ...
« : January 24, 2010, 05:26:15 PM celts79 »
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #42 : January 23, 2010, 08:03:39 PM »

Celts79

I was not commenting on your freedom to post your view here.

I am generally just a wisearse.

Trust me....

Take NOTHING I say personal.

You are allowed to spew as much sewage as I am!!!
see
tfence
: 257

« #43 : January 24, 2010, 06:43:01 PM »

Hope a stereotype is not developing on transplanters. Best wishes to a speedy recovery to Andy and Family. We transplanted here to get away from these types of situations. This type of stuff happened all the time while I was growing up in the city.

We are here for all your Outdoor Living Needs.
visit us at http://feerickfence.com/
also check us out on facebook
mirjo
: 785

« #44 : January 25, 2010, 12:30:58 AM »

Again with celts79 leaving holes where his/her posts used to be...who is this person that (he/she) is so easily scared off by dissension?

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
: