Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:26:10 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Budgets
« previous next »
: [1]
: Budgets  ( 7481 )
Barbara
: 270

« : January 13, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »

Monday night both the Select board and the School board sat at a table in an effort to provide for the needs of Fairfax.
Some of the discussion was heated, but all were in agreement that the goal is to best serve our community in hard times.
I would just like us all to think about how truly wealthy most of us are.
We have heated and plumbed homes, food and phones as well as so many other of life's necessities.
Haiti is a very poor country, people who truly had very little to nourish their lives have lost even that.
As we look at trimming our lives to meet new budget constrictions, let us all remember we are privileged.
And try to do our best to help those who aren't.
As Mike Cain stated in his blog today, "things could be a lot worse".
special ED

« #1 : January 13, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »

let me translate in special ed terms YOUR TAXES ARE STILL GOING UP
slpott
: 457

« #2 : January 13, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »

What is the point trying to be made here? I see no direct relationship between Fairfax and Haiti. I feel terrible for our fellow humans but I am curious as to what was meant by that. What was being discussed that caused it to be heated? Please explain.
MR32

« #3 : January 14, 2010, 07:47:38 AM »

I was at the meeting it went something like this, as far as I can tell:

The school and the town own the land around the school and the bike path. Those fields are used by sports mostly sponsored by the school, ie soccer, softball and football. Theire are people in town who would like to see the area used more, like for the Fairfax, Fletcher Soccer Club and Little League, so they don't have to travel to Fletcher.

The problem lies in the details- the school budgets for the maintenance of the fields and the personnel to care for them. They have limited funds. If high impacts sports were to be played on the school fields it would raise the school budget, and most likely not pass, or something academic would have to be sacrificed. The town won't pay for the equipment to maintain the fields or the personnel, at this point in time. The areas are too big to share equipment, and it gets into insurance issues. Basically we need two mowers and two personnel to do the job- out of what budget? Who over sees it?

If the school controls it, then soccer and little league and what ever future volunteer sponsored programs might get bumped, if the town over sees it then the school use is limited. Soooo there it is.

The two governing boards got together and the school board doesn't even see that there is a problem, -pleaded unaware to any use issues, and the select board failed to point out the obvious problems- CONTROL! It was an hour of staring at a huge white elephant and not talking about it!
cedarman
: 370

« #4 : January 14, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »

While the control and responsibility over WHO takes care of the grass may be up for debate, one thing that is NOT up for debate is WHO owns the land - WE DO.  Therefore, every citizen of fairfax (and the children of every citizen) should have an equal right to use the fields.  I know I'll be down there with my daughter this summer/fall when we aren't in the garden or maintaining our own plot.
MR32

« #5 : January 14, 2010, 12:53:47 PM »

Sooo... lets say 800 kids go down with cleats and play on soggy fields- who gets the bill for the repair?
ohhman
: 469

« #6 : January 14, 2010, 02:02:06 PM »

wait til they put in the bathrooms that have to be maintained; cleaning,stocking w/ t.p,soap,electricity,water,etc. ,upkeep,vandalism....then who pays the bill? I thought @ last year's town meeting the voters there said "NO" to a building, but guess some don't get that. I think "working dog" does a nice job @ maintaining the port-a-lets....we are a "rural community" ?  Like Spec Ed translated"taxes going up". Only problem, many incomes aren't, like mine. I have prayed for all those in Haiti; that's all I can do. But then again, I pray for myself being able to meet my monthly bills & stay in my home & it sure looks grim through my eyes.  I feel our Board does a good job with the budget & need to be acknowledged for their hard work;  I also see & am thankful our reps in Montpelier say they won't take a pay raise this year.  Too bad our personnel here couldn't do the same. Not saying they don't deserve it, but there are many that do at their jobs too & are just not getting it.
MR32

« #7 : January 14, 2010, 02:25:07 PM »

However the fact remains we are a growing population, with 'growing pains' change always hurts, and needs to be dealt with responsibly. As to money factors, I think that as long as the decisions that are made considering the biggest population effected , using the least amount of money, and has a beneficial affect for the longest period of time we can rest in peace that our policy makers are doing their jobs. 

As for cuts, salaries are a great place to start, but if they are too great it will add a  bigger burden on out shrinking (financially) social services budget, and the people who really need financial assistance, in any way, means or form, will be stressed greater than they already are.

p.S. I Love Working Dog! Grade A business, and there's a guy that represents a true Vermonter and embodies the spirit of Hard Work!
cedarman
: 370

« #8 : January 15, 2010, 07:57:56 AM »

Who pays for maintenance? - We all do.  It doesn't matter who's budget it comes out of, WE the tax payers pay for it.  I agree with the sentiment that there is NO NEED for restroom building(s) at the fields.  Port-o-lets serve the purposes needed just fine.

IF the two boards can't agree about grounds maintenance now, and who gets to use the field, they WHY would they put in facilities that will tend to increase traffic at the fields??  That makes no sences.  Here's an idea that just might make cents.  Leave the port-o-let in place that people can use for free.  IF they want the convenience of using a bathroom in a building with running water, charge a 50 cent usage fee (similar to pay to use facilities in some european cities).

It really sounds like an extra expense (both building and maintenance) that our community shouldn't be frivoulously spending on right now.
MR32

« #9 : January 15, 2010, 08:03:51 AM »

Forget about the amenities!  How about just making it so EVERYONE can use the Fields (both school and town) and that they are kept up so we can all engage in physical activities and keep our selves healthy. We have the room, just not the support to be able to use the fields!
slpott
: 457

« #10 : January 15, 2010, 09:09:17 AM »

Strictly speaking from my stand point, if there was electricity around the bike path, it would offer itself to many uses. I have had conversation many times about the art festival being at the park. No electricity. Music festivals, No electricity, halloween functions, no electricity, food festivals, no electricity. I would benefit greatly (fund raising wise) if there was electricity there. This land could be widely used by residents. We are looking for space for a community center. There is plenty of land, parking and attractions right there. I understand the maintenance thing but what if the soccer clubs maintained the fields like they do at Fletcher school. I do not know the ins and outs but I have heard for a long time that soccer would like to have their fields here in town. Football uses the fields so why can't soccer? Do we need to raise money for the maintenance? I am very uneducated with the details but I do know that if there is a will, there is a way. It is a shame to have it and not use it to its fullest capacities. I would be more than happy to help do whatever. I also have a large piece of property on my land that I would be more than willing to give to the soccer club. There certainly would be some prep work involved and paperwork to do it but.....it is possible and I am sure we could find some volunteers to make it happen. It could also be used for football or whatever. I live on Fletcher Road so access would be visible. It is land that will never be used by us. Again, I would be more than happy to help in whatever way we can.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: