Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:29:36 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  The Fairfax Problem
« previous next »
: [1]
: The Fairfax Problem  ( 8669 )
DrewCrash
: 104

« : December 21, 2009, 08:29:36 PM »

in a recent reading on Deb Markowitz and her run for governor, the following was mentioned: "That is also why Deb has spent much of her time working with town officials and citizens to help them resolve problems in their communities - whether it is about wind towers in Searsburg, crime in Rutland , or the inability of the clerk and selectboard to work together in Fairfax."

Who would like to be the one who educates me on this problem that either plagues or plagued Fairfax. The thoughts on the topic can be sent to me via email in the event you feel like you will be participating in hearsay. I am very interested in knowing more about this...
woodstoves2
: 46

« #1 : December 22, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »

It's old news. There are written accounts in the St Albans Messenger and Fairfax News, but I can't remember the dates. Maybe more than a year ago. I'm sure Chris Santee can fill you in.
upsy
: 26

« #2 : December 22, 2009, 05:42:51 PM »

I was in the position of Fairfax Clerk/Treasurer for 20 years. The Selectboard and Clerk/Treasurer positions are set up to be a check and balance of each other. There are 5 Selectboard members, if everyone on the Selectboard had the same opinion or the same ideas there would be no need for Five, there could be just one .  In addition to the Selectboard the Clerk/Treasurer also has information and can share ideas and information with the board. Many times we call the Secretary of State for information and then share it  Because we call the Sec of State does not mean there is a conflict. We discuss the information, ideas and opinions  in a amicably and professional manner. If the final decision was the Selectboards, I had respect for that , the Selectboard in turn had respect for decisions that were mine. I feel my relationship with the Boards was probably better than most towns in Vt.  Not everything was perfect all the time and the news media could construe things inaccurately. I feel Deb's comment was unfair to the people of Fairfax, the Board and the Clerk,Treasurer. It is without merit. I retired and the new Clerk/treasurer has a good working relationship with the board.    Donna Meunier
« : December 22, 2009, 05:44:46 PM upsy »
cestreet
: 37

« #3 : December 22, 2009, 08:21:35 PM »

Donna,

When we first moved here (~2003), there were definitely some issues between the Selectboard and the Town Clerk, who was not you at the time, I believe.  There was some legal settlement and the problem seemed to have gone away.  I wonder if that's what Markowitz was referring to?

Clarice Streets
upsy
: 26

« #4 : December 23, 2009, 08:55:32 AM »

What ever issue Deb Markowitz is referring too, it does not accurately reflex the relationship between the Selectboard and the Clerk/Treasurer here in Fairfax. 
David Shea
: 471

« #5 : December 23, 2009, 08:00:10 PM »

Drew,

I am not sure if the specific " problem", I do however remember that there was a conflict 5-7 years ago.  The problem involved an employee who no longer works for the town.  I am not privy to all of the details, but could certainly put you in touch with the individuals who were involved and no longer work for Fairfax.  Both of them still reside here. 

If you want to know more call me.

Dave
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #6 : January 11, 2010, 09:58:12 AM »

A check with Deb Markowitz revealed that she named the wrong town.  The town she was talking about was Fairfield.  If you check her website now, you will find that she has made a correction to her statement:

"Deb believes in the power and responsibility of citizens and communities to come together to solve problems. That is why she has focused on getting civics education back into Vermont's schools. That is also why Deb has spent much of her time working with town officials and citizens to help them resolve problems in their communities - whether it is about wind towers in Searsburg, crime in Rutland , or the inability of the clerk and selectboard to work together in Fairfield."

Henry Raymond
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #7 : February 18, 2010, 08:06:56 AM »

I decided to check this out and called Fairfield.
They had no idea what she was talking about and they said they were going to call.
Now, Fairfield has been removed from her website too.

This is not governor material.
She tried to poke fun at us, tried to cover it up and ended up with egg on her face.

I do think Deb Markowitz is a very nice human being
and I wrote once in the Fairfax News:
"one of the best Secretaries of State in the country".

I wish she had stayed where she was.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
trussell
: 870

« #8 : February 18, 2010, 09:30:42 AM »

I agree, Chris.  Deb was very helpful to me when we looked into starting a business and I thought the Sec of State office was run very well.  She was one of the few Democrats that I actually voted for!  But I agree, she's not governor material.  Oh well.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
dw
: 28

« #9 : February 19, 2010, 12:00:53 AM »

not sure why none of you remember the problems between Tina (town clerk at the time) and the Selectboard . . . there was talk of lawsuits, etc.  Deb Markowitz indeed needed to mediate because the selectboard and Tina were not playing well together.  There was major issues over what she wanted to do, what she could do (one, of many issues, I believe she hired a relative to help her in the office), and who could tell her what to do.  ETC.  Markowitz's office had to help define roles, procedures, protocol, etc.  Lawyers were also contacted . . . .

I believe this was about eight or nine years ago . . . SURELY someone else remembers this . . . it got UGLY!
David Shea
: 471

« #10 : February 19, 2010, 10:30:06 AM »

Yes, I remember. 
trussell
: 870

« #11 : February 19, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »

I'm sure most of us remember... I just didn't want to be a part of the discussion in a public forum.

About Markowitz though- if she had been correctly referring to the our town in her public statement, then she should have stood by it and explained a little better.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #12 : February 19, 2010, 02:41:16 PM »

Correct Trevor - I try to keep the ugly stuff off the forum - This involved local people with names and did get really ugly - Something I prefer not to discuss on this forum.

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #13 : February 26, 2010, 09:45:13 PM »

Cheetos???
: [1]  
« previous next »
: