Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:25:14 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  11/17/09 Photo Blog- Operation Holiday Homecoming Check
« previous next »
: [1]
: 11/17/09 Photo Blog- Operation Holiday Homecoming Check  ( 5876 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : November 17, 2009, 12:24:47 AM »

November 17, 2009

OPERATION HOLIDAY HOMECOMING CHECK

The BFA Middle School Student Council held a raffle this fall, and the winner recieved a $100 gift certificate to Minor's Country Store. The Council wanted to donate the money to charity, so they decided to donate it the the Operation Holiday Homecoming, an effort to get many Vermont National Guard soldiers, stationed in Afghanistan, home for a Christmas holiday leave. The Council is giving the cause a check for $500. A photo-op was held Monday morning at the school.

The group met in the lobby before the photo shoot. Rep. Carolyn Branagan explains to the kids that the cost of bringing a soldier home is $400, so that their donation will pay to have a soldier reunited with his family.

Council members, Tyler King, Emily Johnson, Hudson Elledge, and Ben Bosland

Student Council advisor Al Daniels, Rep. Carolyn Branagan, Aaron Minor of Minor's Country Store, and Rep. Gary Gilbert.

The next project the Middle School Student Council is doing, is organizing a school-wide food drive as part of "Cram The Complex", a food drive to support needy families in Franklin County. The drive is being organized at the Collins-Perley Complex in St. Albans. The drive starts Wednesday November 18, and goes until December 4. They are hoping to surpass last year's effort, "Bust The Bus", when a BFA school bus load of food items were delivered to the Complex.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : November 17, 2009, 09:13:20 AM »

Notice, standing quietly in the background is Mr. Daniels.  I am sure these Middle School Youngsters will always remember him.  He is involved in many projects that help shape the character of our young people.  Al, you have done much for the school and the community - We appreciate you.

Henry Raymond
Suzy
: 429

« #2 : November 17, 2009, 01:02:03 PM »

Awesome!  What an amazing gift!  Do they get to find out who they bring home?
MikeF9
: 1994

« #3 : November 17, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »

I don't think the money will go to one specfic soldier, the money will be put into a general fund. Operation Holiday Homecoming is trying to raise a little over $300,000 to bring 700 soldiers home for a week during Christmas. I think Carolyn said it costs $400 for the bus ticket home from Mississippi or wherever the troops arrive from Afghanistan.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : November 18, 2009, 09:44:51 AM »

It should be noted also that Minor's Country Store donated the $100 Gift Certificate to them to use in their raffle - Very nice of Minor's to do that.  I was not aware of that.  It was stated in a photo and caption by Janet Bonneau on Page 2 of last night's St. Albans Messenger.
« : November 18, 2009, 09:50:21 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: