Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:16:37 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Vermonters and Craft Beer Drinkers Against Monster
« previous next »
: [1]
: Vermonters and Craft Beer Drinkers Against Monster  ( 7551 )
mirjo
: 785

« : October 14, 2009, 10:32:22 PM »

Apparently this has been in the local press recently and also made national headlines in the Boston Globe a few days back. This is an excerpt taken from a Facebook page, I have included the link at the end. Facebook users are joining this page and many people have sent emails to  the COO of the company that manufactures Montster Energy Drink to tell him to leave this  small business alone. It doesn't make a lot of sense why this huge corporation would pick on such a small company that doesn't even have a national brand. I see this as a David & Goliath kind of thing. I don't know much about trademark laws, but it just seems like this billion dollar company is picking on the wrong people.

"Recently, Monster Energy Drink has told Rock Art Brewery to "cease and desist" their production of Vermontster, a 10% barleywine because they fear that there could be confusion between this beer and their energy drink. The labels bare no resemblance to each other, one is a beer and one is an energy drink. The only similarity is the "Vermonster" vs "monster" part of the name."www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/group.php?gid=171894902802&ref=nf     The COO of Hansen Naturals the company that makes the drink is Nick Gagliardi,  his e-mail address is: 'nick.gagliardi@hansens.com' many people from all over are telling him what they think of this, if you have a minute, maybe you could too.

Below is a link to youtube that has a video from  the owner of Rock Art Brewery in Morrisville explaining what is going on with Monster Energy Drink.
This has generated a lot of grassroots support on youtube accross the country and people all along the social networks  are giving it plenty of word-of-mouth. I thought what this person had to say made the most sense: (from the comments on youtube)  "I really do not know what the debate is. Obviously the root word of the name of "Vermontster Beer," is the State of Vermont. The suffix "ster" has been added, like it is added to many other terms, such as hipster, or spinster. It is obvious. The guy brews it in Vermont. It is obvious that monster is not the root term. What other names add a prefix "Ver?" Are we trademarking syllables and word sounds these days?"

www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkbG_woqXTeg&h=ab43e30357a0e89ec1582851d077217d

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Suzy
: 429

« #1 : October 15, 2009, 07:37:23 AM »

Here's a direct link to the Youtube video if you don't have a Facebook account:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbG_woqXTeg

I agree with mirjo, this lawsuit is ridiculous!  Ben and Jerry's has a Vermonster ice cream dish, and I don't see anyone suing them! 

Have a great day everyone!
Sooz
« : October 15, 2009, 07:41:41 AM Henry »
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #2 : October 15, 2009, 09:11:14 AM »

Let's take it a step further... Why haven't they gone after Ben & Jerrys for their product called the Vermonster?  Could it be that Ben & Jerrys existed way before theMonster product was even thought of?  Could it be that Uni-Lever who bought out Ben and Jerry is a larger corporation than Monster's Parent company? 
Why hasn't Ben & Jerry/Uni-Lever filed suit against Monster?

I've read that Monster is thinking about getting into the Alcoholic Energy Drink business and THAT'S WHY they're so interested in Rock Art - another Alcoholic Beverage infringing in their 'POTENTIAL' Business.

Here's an angle - These 'Alcoholic Energy Drinks' are blatantly vaguely marketed so either appeal to younger crowds.  There was actually an incident where minors asked their mom for an energy drink and she accidentally bought them the alcoholic kind.  Another incident involved a Clerk accidentally selling minors an alcoholic energy drink and them getting sick.  Below is the article.  SO, perhaps we need to launch a Moral and Ethical Barrage at this company for engaging known tactics to market alcohol illegally to minors and cause potential for disaster.

http://www.jointogether.org/news/headlines/inthenews/2007/confused-retailers-sell.html
« : October 15, 2009, 09:23:16 AM Henry »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
mirjo

« #3 : October 15, 2009, 10:24:16 AM »

SO, perhaps we need to launch a Moral and Ethical Barrage at this company for engaging known tactics to market alcohol illegally to minors and cause potential for disaster

YES, another front for an attack! If you read the posts on the youtube site if you're not a facebook member, the info is mind numbing. There are many products out there with Monster in the name...this is how it begins, how everything ends up being owned by just a few companies.

In a Media class I had a few years ago, it was amazing to see that everything we watch, read, listen to, and purchase is controlled by only a handful of very large corporations. The some of the  giants were Time/Waner, Disney, Clear Channel, and Gannet. Many, many smaller companies (ones you wouldn't know or even think of) could be traced back to those four and one or two others and that data was from about 10 years ago. Who knows what that landscape is like now?

I give props to two of our area radio stations, 106.7 & 101.3 which had been owned by Clear Channel (I think both were) are now both locally owned again. I think WCAX is the only locally owned TV station, I think WPTZ is owned by Hearst--another media giant.
I think big business gets away with far too much--off the backs of foolish consumers. There is so much consumer fraud out there that people aren't even aware of because the advertising is so slick and the average person doesn't pay close attention!. Just like the case you outlined with the acohol in the energy drink! What a gimic!!!

Formerflatlander
: 67

« #4 : October 15, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »

They wouldn't dare go after Ben & Jerry for two reasons, yes they are now owned by Unilever and secondly they took on Pillsbury years ago and won.  So go after the little guy to boost your ego.  I too joined the Facebook page to show my support for Rock Art along with informing co workers to boycott Monster products and why. 
tankkingvt
: 17

« #5 : October 16, 2009, 08:35:49 AM »

I have done a ton of work for rock art and they are a 1st class operation.  this whole deal will put matt and renee on the map, everyone likes an underdog!
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #6 : October 17, 2009, 03:44:14 AM »

There was no mention of Miller Lite, so all is well.
trussell
: 870

« #7 : October 17, 2009, 08:42:49 AM »

Careful, Mike- We're pretty loyal to our microbrews here!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
fletchtb
: 310

« #8 : October 21, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »

According to VPR it looks like this is going to work out in Rock Art's favor... They will be able to sell Vermontster beer as long as they agree not to go into the energy drink market.

http://www.vpr.net/news_detail/86187/
mirjo

« #9 : October 21, 2009, 10:42:13 PM »

I heard that on the 11pm news. Score one for the little guy! Pretty unlikely RockArt was ever going to get into the energy drink sector anyway. Seems like Monster had to save face, so they said "Ok, we'll let you be as long as you don't make energy drinks..." Stupid.

mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #10 : October 22, 2009, 04:51:49 PM »

I heard that as well!  Great news for Matt and Renee, owners of Rock Art!  FINALLY, one for the little guy!

Here's the news link:

http://www.wptz.com/news/21390483/detail.html#

« : October 22, 2009, 05:49:28 PM Henry »

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #11 : October 23, 2009, 01:34:21 AM »

Alaska has a handful of micro breweries scattered across the state.

The brewery in Juneau hist more markets in the Pacific NW and even California.

Anchorage has the most micros but they are more local here in town. Growler joints and GOOD!

THE BEST I have ever had was one in Fairbanks, when I was there for 3 months 2 years ago.
SHOCKINGLY it was a pilsner!

Coldfoot Pilsner!
SAFEWAY is selling it down here in Anchorage now.....

I dabbled in home brew, had a few good "experiences".
If you have home brewed and used rice solids, you KNOW what I mean!
I made a few batches of a red beer called "Kicked In The Head By A Moose" with rice solids. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had to shave my tongue for a week.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: