Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:30:49 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  A Topic For Discussion
« previous next »
: [1]
: A Topic For Discussion  ( 7237 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 17, 2009, 12:47:41 PM »

I received a note from a forum member who mentioned the following:

I wanted to bounce and idea off you, I saw your post about the Webber's adding onto their house, and a thought popped into my head. Say someone is doing a big project, like an addition on their house and needed just a few more hands, wouldn't it be great if a few members of the community volunteered a little bit of their time to lend a hand? With the economy the way it is, people may not be able to afford to hire a crew, but what if we had a volunteer group where the citizen posts their project and if anyone has time they could help out in some way. . . .

What do you think?"

Anyone having thoughts can bounce them off the group, or if you aren't registered and want to comment, you can always send me an e-mail and I will post it for you.

Henry Raymond
special ED

« #1 : August 17, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »

I should have moved to fairfax
red
: 41

« #2 : August 17, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »

What a great way to help and get to know people. Love the idea...
Lilone
: 81

« #3 : August 18, 2009, 10:49:37 AM »

So how do we get this ball rolling?
dearon
: 233

« #4 : August 18, 2009, 01:34:12 PM »

This would be ideal if it works for all parties.  I have had experience in volunteering my services in he past and when it comes to my turn I seem to be expected to pay.  It's always been too one sided for me.
Lilone
: 81

« #5 : August 19, 2009, 09:23:05 AM »

Hmm. . . all parties going in, would have to agree to it being strictly volunteer.
cedarman
: 370

« #6 : August 21, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »

Since the topic originated on building projects (but the idea could be applied to any projects someone might need a little help with), maybe we can call it "Fairfax Framers".

Volunteer programs are great, but if nobody volunteers to help you when you need help, it can be frustrating. 

Personally, if I'm "giving" with the expectation of something in return (some help or a favor later), I'm up front about it.  Generally, I try to GIVE without expectation of anything in return.  Those who willing return the favor are more likely to benefit from my generosity in the future.  Those who take, take, take without giving back (to me or someone else), well, they'll likely have to find someone else to help in the future.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #7 : August 21, 2009, 10:54:50 AM »

I'm not sure that a lot of projects can use many volunteers.  Ted Weber had one neighbor helping hand up materials, but don't believe he would have wanted unskilled volunteers helping with the framing and putting up the rafters.

A few years ago when my daughters house burned, she had a lot of volunteers show up to help her remove and salvage stuff from the house which was great.  Among them were carpenters and skilled people who went up on the roof and covered it with a large tarp she purchased down at J & L's.

Other volunteer type things that could be done are shovelling walks for elderly & handicapped people.  Mowing lawns.

I believe for some volunteer jobs you need to have a skill to perform it.

Again, you have to be very careful as there are some people out there that will really take advantage of your generosity.  As I get older, I have learned to say "No" when some people ask me to do something.

Not sure how one would do this, but perhaps one of the best ways to handle it is to ask if somebody wants your help.  I believe people have a right to select their volunteers and reject those who they feel don't have the skill or ability they need.

I went up the Pete Rainville's after the fire up there and there were a number of people working - Who were volunteers and who weren't I don't know. 

Anyhow, just a bunch of rambling thoughts, but for the most part it is friends and acquaintances, not a group of strangers that show up to help when help is needed.

Henry Raymond
woodstoves2
: 46

« #8 : August 31, 2009, 04:18:27 PM »

If there was a reliable, updated web spot people could check  periodically, I think over time people would respond. Lotsa retirees lookin' for somethin' meaningful to do. But, in addition to limited skill sets,
a big problem these days is "liability". When I was a boy, every swimming pool, pond and lake had a diving board. Lawyers put an end that.
David Shea
: 471

« #9 : August 31, 2009, 05:22:11 PM »

What you are all referencing is a barter network.  A Burlington group used "Burlington Bread" their form of currency for various task services ect.

Bread was their form of money.

Dave
: [1]  
« previous next »
: