Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:43:39 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Approximately 120 Years Of Roofing Removed From The Old Building
« previous next »
: [1]
: Approximately 120 Years Of Roofing Removed From The Old Building  ( 9779 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 14, 2009, 11:58:37 AM »

In the photos below, Campbells Construction removes at least 120 years of roofing from The Foothills Bakery:

Trevor Campbell estimated that the steel roofing had been up there about 75 years

And the wooden shingles at least 40 years, but If I knew when the building was built, most likely longer than that.  The sheathing under the wooden shingles, which had to be replaced also, had square nails

Jimmy Thayer & Eric Bessette were among the workers on this very hot sunny day.  Eric told me that they found lots and lots of bats.  You folks down in the village, watch the skies tonight as these bats search for new homes.

« : August 14, 2009, 03:13:41 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
dearon
: 233

« #1 : August 14, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »

Bats yuck.  What a horrible place to be on a hot day
Henry
Administrator

« #2 : August 14, 2009, 03:02:03 PM »

The temperature was creeping close to 90 degrees around 3:30 p.m. and Campbell Construction was buttoned up for the day:

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : August 16, 2009, 02:15:02 AM »

As a contractors AND history enthusiast, that is SO interesting.

I have to admit I had to look up what lath was when I first heard it. As in plaster & lath.

The last "old" building we "upgraded" was built in the 50"s and survived the 64 earthquake.
We did seismic upgrades to the structure but that was it

Oh, and the elevator shaft was out of city code but, we got the Mayor at the time to allow it.

mirjo
: 785

« #4 : August 17, 2009, 09:43:34 AM »

Old buildings have so much character and are much more interesting to look at than most of the new architecture. I am amazed when I see things that were built 100+ years ago without the power tools and heavy equipment we have now, with intricate ornate detail. Even the simpler designs of stone like the one on Main Street from the 1790's, that was a lot of heavy lifting. The foundation is stone also. It's still standing after more than 200 years and that was a simple little farm house in Vt. Look at things like the Parthenon in Greece, the Taj Mahal in India, or the Colosseum in Italy--all ancient and massive structures.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Henry
Administrator

« #5 : August 17, 2009, 11:37:09 AM »

Eric Bessette was working on screwing down the new roofing, but is shown above coming down to help the guy in red put some flashing on the roof over the stairway.  This is how things looked Monday noon:

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : August 20, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »

Didn't have my camera with me, but looks like Foothills Bakery Roofing job is all done or close to it.  There is a black (Maybe Vinyl) roof on the building now.  Looks nice.

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #7 : August 21, 2009, 02:11:42 AM »

You all have SO much history there.

We have from 1910 or so on.

Amazing. 
: [1]  
« previous next »
: