Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:47:58 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Tales Of Our Community
| | |-+  Picking Dried Milkweed For The Soldiers In WWII
« previous next »
: [1]
: Picking Dried Milkweed For The Soldiers In WWII  ( 6987 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 29, 2009, 07:35:04 AM »

I am sure that those of you that were in grade school during WWII will remember going out and picking the dried milkweed pods.  It was one of a number of things that school children got involved with here in Vermont.  It was not just in the Midwest as stated in the Internet article that I looked up to make sure I got the information right.

In World War II, schoolchildren across the Midwest collected thousands of pounds of milkweed fluff to stuff life preservers for the armed forces in the Pacific, because kapok, the normal material used for this purpose, came from Japanese-occupied Indonesia and was unavailable. Today, you can buy pillows, jackets, and comforters stuffed with this material, which is wonderfully soft and has a higher insulative value than goose down, from a company called Ogallala Down, in Ogallala, Nebraska.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : July 29, 2009, 08:30:12 AM »

There is a company that still uses Milkweed for down.  Check out the following website.  Didn't check the prices, but bet they are expensive:

http://www.italianfinelinens.com/ogallaladown.html

Henry Raymond
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #2 : September 05, 2009, 11:48:42 PM »

Even in my later days in the Navy I wondered why the were called Kapok vests,,,,,,,,
The more you NOW.
Thanks Henry.

I was walking out on the boat boom one day in South Korea, I was attempting to  climb down 15 feet on a Jacobs ladder.
I slipped, and went SPLASH! Luckily missing the boat I was going down onto. That Sojo messes you UP!

It was a good thing I wasn't wearing a Kapok,,,,, It would have snapped my neck.
Kapoks are, were, HUGE.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: