Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:52:46 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax fireworks location?
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Fairfax fireworks location?  ( 21445 )
wwiihistory
: 56

« : July 04, 2009, 08:41:38 AM »

Hi Henry,

Can you tell me/us where the Fairfax fireworks will be set off from this year?

Thanks
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : July 04, 2009, 08:48:56 AM »

No Fireworks (Legal that is) as per my post:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/forum/index.php?topic=6347.0

Henry Raymond
woodstoves2
: 46

« #2 : July 04, 2009, 10:57:39 PM »

I delayed my evening stroll around the village until 9:30. Sure enough, there were fireworks going off all around me. It was a different experience with sporadic booms and blooms both near and far...
from the cute pop and spray off a driveway to a roiling, generous storm of noise and light down by the river to the pulsing silent flashes on the horizon from Westford and Milton. At one point, eight to twelve nearby sites were going off all at once all around me. I walked up Huntsville Road in time to see a rich display coming off Smuggler's Notch. In between bursts, fireflies kept the fields sparkling. That's the best spot because it's high and offers a 240-degree view of the valley.
'Probably looks good from the homes way up on Buck Hollow Road, too.

Legal-shmegal, in 25 years I've never seen so many fireworks set off in Fairfax. Well, after all, it is about celebrating "Liberty"!  Thanks to all those scofflaws out there who put on such a great show. If anyone does get fined, shouldn't the money go to next year's town fireworks?( Not that we really need them.)

Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : July 04, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »

Fireworks are illegal in Anchorage due to our population density. (And silly people)

The fact is I have NEVER heard of a fire being started here in Anchorage due to fireworks.

It is an urban myth like the razor blades in Halloween candy.

LIGHT OFF your fireworks.

I am out in my backyard ready to blaze off a few items.

HEY, ya'll WATCH THIS!!!!!
Cat

« #4 : July 04, 2009, 11:30:21 PM »

We had so much fun doing our fireworks. Can't wait until next year.
dearon
: 233

« #5 : July 05, 2009, 08:23:33 AM »

Thanks for the show of fireworks last night & to all those who enjoy freedom and liberty.  I was watching from my warm living room, no bugs, no rain in here; just beautiful fireworks that lasted for over an hour.  I saw them going on at several sites across the river and also across the field:)  Let freedom ring:)
edakrupp

« #6 : July 05, 2009, 08:32:33 AM »

I attended a casual party and they set off a wonderful professional display, as did many of the folk near us. Hundreds if not thousands of dollars were spent. Talking to folks the best way we can get fireworks on the town budget is for the younger generation to attend town meeting. It has been of the floor various times, but since the older generation usually attend, it always gets voted down.

If you want fireworks you have to attend town meeting. Its that simple. numbers count, and nothing will ever change if you don't go and vote or voice your concerns at town meeting. The same people attend every year, and the same stuff happens. We are a democracy and do have a voice, but you must rally yourselves and your friends and make it happen.
slpott
: 457

« #7 : July 05, 2009, 08:57:53 AM »

Just think. If the town sold permits to everyone that wanted to be "legal", that is a good way to save for a town function. I know in the bigger cities they charge for garage sales too? Not sure about here but there would be a lot of money raised if they charged everytime the main street garage sale opened up. I think the town lost out on a lot of money this year because every one that I know wanted a permit and was refused, they still shot off fireworks. I saw the best show I ever have. Maybe there are lessons learned.
Cat

« #8 : July 05, 2009, 10:34:43 AM »

Just think. If the town sold permits to everyone that wanted to be "legal", that is a good way to save for a town function. I know in the bigger cities they charge for garage sales too? Not sure about here but there would be a lot of money raised if they charged everytime the main street garage sale opened up. I think the town lost out on a lot of money this year because every one that I know wanted a permit and was refused, they still shot off fireworks. I saw the best show I ever have. Maybe there are lessons learned.

I agree, they could had made some money on those permits. It didn't stop people from doing them.
dearon
: 233

« #9 : July 05, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »

I attended a casual party and they set off a wonderful professional display, as did many of the folk near us. Hundreds if not thousands of dollars were spent. Talking to folks the best way we can get fireworks on the town budget is for the younger generation to attend town meeting. It has been of the floor various times, but since the older generation usually attend, it always gets voted down.

If you want fireworks you have to attend town meeting. Its that simple. numbers count, and nothing will ever change if you don't go and vote or voice your concerns at town meeting. The same people attend every year, and the same stuff happens. We are a democracy and do have a voice, but you must rally yourselves and your friends and make it happen.

I disagree with you on "the older generation usually attend, it always gets voted down"  I would consider myself in that generation (baby boomer) and I wholeheartedly approve of them.   I think it should be a ballot vote not at town meeting as most folks cannot attend this therefore it lends itself only to the select few groups that want something passed or not.
I for one am out of town on  this day and cannot attend, I would vote in the affirmative.
« : July 05, 2009, 02:52:05 PM dearon »
David Shea
: 471

« #10 : July 05, 2009, 01:20:35 PM »

I agree with Mrs. Morin.  I personally think that all request for funding should be ballot items.  The discussion for funding can take place on Town Meeting, but the vote should be done in the privacy of the voting booth.

Dave
Cat

« #11 : July 05, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »

Ballot voting is a great idea.
edakrupp

« #12 : July 05, 2009, 03:31:02 PM »

Ok Ballot voting it is... So how do we get an item on the ballot?.... It has to be approved at town meeting first doesn't it. I would like to know because I am willing to lead the momentun, but an ignorant of the process.
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« #13 : July 05, 2009, 05:12:14 PM »

To have an item voted at Town Meeting you can:
#1 get the Selectboard to agree to put it on the ballot along with the other things they want the voters to consider.The Selectboard has the power to place a  item up for vote either during the meeting or on the Australian ballot.
#2 get a petition signed by 5% of the voters and then the item will have to be placed on the ballot.If  the petition specifies    secret ballot then it will have to be on the Australian ballot. The Town Clerk can tell you exactly how many signatures make 5%,  but it is around 250.
This will have to be done by at least January 15 or so in order to be printed in the Warning.

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House  of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
mirjo
: 785

« #14 : July 05, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »

Well Cat, I guess you have some petitions to put together to get out in the stores while the issue is still hot in peoples minds!! Then we can all sign it!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: