Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:42:40 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Knee High By The Fourth Of July Won't Be Happening This Year
« previous next »
: [1]
: Knee High By The Fourth Of July Won't Be Happening This Year  ( 5248 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 22, 2009, 07:52:59 AM »

Been checking the corn pieces and most of the corn I find is maybe six inches high - Its got a ways to go before it reaches the old farmers guide line of "Knee High By The Fourth Of July."

A friend of mine here on the Fletcher Road has just gotten some Blue Hydrangea Bushes and he has some blue blossoms on them already - Mine are just starting to bud - But do have to admit they got hit twice by hard frosts that even froze some of the leaves on them - They are perking up however.

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : June 22, 2009, 09:57:30 AM »

Going home last night I was thinking that McNall's corn (end of rte 128) was fairly high, or at least right on track.  I forgot to look this morning as I was too engrossed in my hot-from-the-oven scone from Foothills Bakery (it was very, very good).

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
gkmcnall
: 130

« #2 : June 22, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »

Glad to hear you enjoyed the scone!  The corn has grown a lot in the last few days and walking to work this morning noticed it was knee high.  Would love to see some sun though!  80 degress even better!
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : June 22, 2009, 10:48:53 AM »

I should have checked the McNall Corn Field, as they usually have the highest corn the earliest - Read an article in one of the newspapers a few years ago where the McNal boys don't just throw fertilizer on the field willy nilly, they test their soil and determine what is needed - Excellent Farmers.

Henry Raymond
trussell

« #4 : July 05, 2009, 06:37:01 PM »

Henry,

Although I didn't stop and measure it, McNall's corn was definitely way past "knee-high" today... I'd say that it's reached at least 4-feet!  Just thought I'd let you know....

-Trevor

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
dearon
: 233

« #5 : July 05, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »

I weeded my garden today and my corn is about 3-4" higher than knee high however my blueberries are about a week late. My everbearing raspberries are producing early this year which I thought was a bit strange.   We usually get several quarts of blueberries a day by now and we've just starting to get them.  We of course have to keep them netted as the birds like them too. 
All the vegetables I have are looking pretty good and healty right now although I think my tomatoes will be late this year too.
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : July 05, 2009, 07:19:35 PM »

Methinks that Trevor had his magnifying glasses on - I will bring my tape measure down though, just in case my 18 inch ruler won't do the job.

4 Feet is mighty high for the 4th of July
« : July 05, 2009, 09:44:09 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
gkmcnall
: 130

« #7 : July 06, 2009, 07:02:59 AM »

Henry,
It all depends on where you look, but I would say walking by it last night, I'm starting to feel a little short.
Henry
Administrator

« #8 : July 06, 2009, 07:19:30 AM »

I'm definitely going to go and see that corn today, before it rains hopefully.  I may owe Trevor a public apology.  I know the McNall boys don't waste money on fertilizer that is not needed and was very impressed by their farming techniques in a newspaper article written about them a while back.

I used to have soil test kits when I raised a garden a while back.  My use was to raise a better garden, as my fertilizer cost were nothing compared to what a farmers cost for commercial fertilizer can be.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #9 : July 06, 2009, 11:50:48 AM »

Well, I do owe Trevor an apology - Except for the outside 2 or 3 rows, I measured the corn and it averages about 5 foot high - By far the best corn around - Congratulations to the McNall Boys and my apologies to Trevor for doubting his word:

Henry Raymond
trussell

« #10 : July 06, 2009, 01:17:42 PM »

Oh Henry,  No apology needed! :)

In your defense, I don't think Pouliot's cornfield on Rte 128 in Essex Center is knee-high yet.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: