Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:40:30 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Man & Son Bring Back "Katrina" Victims
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Man & Son Bring Back "Katrina" Victims  ( 2148 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 24, 2005, 09:34:18 AM »

FAIRFAX MAN INTERVIEWED BY JESSICA ABO OF CHANNEL 3 NEWS

A Fairfax man is back from Mississippi-- after checking on his family and bringing a truckload of donations that had been collected in the basement of the United Church here in Fairfax, he didn't come back alone.

After watching the news and seeing what Hurricane Katrina did to Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi -- Chuck Cox and his son Chris rented a truck, collected donations and headed down South. As part of the evacuation-- people parked their cars on the highway. “That's when it really hit me, seeing the cars and smelling the mud,” Cox said.  Cox visited his mother's new house in Bay St. Louis. She'd been living there for only three weeks when Hurricane Katrina hit, making the home unliveable.  After he and his son spent time with their family, they started unloading donations from their truck. Cox said, “socks were a hot commodity-- you'd think you were giving them a new car. The victims in Mississippi appreciated everything they left behind.”  But he and his son didn't return home empty handed. “I brought back my nephew Richard, my niece Jessica and my cousin Tommy.  Jessica Jordan said, “I was glad to leave. I couldn't wait to get back to school and everything.”  Tommy said, “Nobody thought it was going to be as bad as it was and actually, I didn't want to leave but I am glad I did.”  When asked what happened to his house? Tommy said, “it's not there anymore.”  The kids are going to school here at Bellows Free Academy Fairfax -- where the community has opened its arms to these victims of Hurricane Katrina.  Scott Lang said, “We always have room for kids and we're always happy to do what we can to help.  Jessica said, “I'm glad to be here. It's way better than Mississippi.”  Jessica Abo, Channel 3 News, interviewed the family and the clip was aired on the 6 p.m. news on Friday, September 24th.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: