Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:27:41 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  I CAN'T COMPETE WITH THIS ADVERTISING
« previous next »
: [1]
: I CAN'T COMPETE WITH THIS ADVERTISING  ( 2079 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 24, 2005, 09:09:06 AM »

Hi all,
Yesterday's St. Albans Messenger carried a large front page color photo advertising the Chicken Pie Supper being held tonight at BFA Fairfax at 5 p.m.

The caption under the photo by Stina Plant, St. Albans Messenger Photographer said:
A chicken contemplates his fate in front of an advertisement for the Chicken Pie Supper being held at BFA Fairfax this Saturday.  The clever placement of the faux chicken and banner in front of a Fairfax home on Route 104 causes passers-by to look twice.  This passer-by, by the way never noticed it.

To refresh your memory a bit, the following is the note Rev. Elizabeth sent me last week:

On Saturday Sept 24th the Ladies of the United Church of Fairfax will put on their annual Chicken Pie Supper.  Beginning at 5 PM a traditional meal that includes chicken and biscuits, mashed potatoes, squash, coleslaw,  cranberry sauce, home made rolls and home made pies will be served at the BFA Elementary School gym.

The Ladies of the Church have been putting on this supper for at least 60 years.  I have read records of this supper, but have since forgotten the specific dates, since I was researching something else. As long as I know Charlotte McNall has called folks soliciting chicken pies.  Art Webb remembers pulling pin feathers from chickens that someone else had butchered.--now we get the chickens from Steeple's . Peg Gilbert and Bev Gates were laughing about when jello salads were served--how they would melt on hot-from-dishwasher dishes- and create a red or green gravy on the plate.

This is the first time the supper is being held on a Saturday.  At $8 a meal, it is still a great bargain--especially since all the food is home-made.  And for those in a hurry who don't want to eat there, take out meals are also available.   Even though folks call me every year asking, no, we don't accept reservations, it is first come-first served.  Rev. Elizabeth.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: