Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:33:05 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Citizens for Fairfax Community, Inc. Minutes: 4/20/09
« previous next »
: [1]
: Citizens for Fairfax Community, Inc. Minutes: 4/20/09  ( 2698 )
Mark Hunziker
: 45

« : April 22, 2009, 04:52:36 PM »

HEADLINES:
▪We hope to receive approval from the IRS of our 501(c)3 status by the end of May.
▪We adopted a formal conflict of interest (avoidance) policy.
▪The timeline is tight for grant application deadlines. We need to do everything possible to prepare over the next ~six weeks, so we can file the applications immediately upon 501(c)3 approval. This means:
o   We set a two week deadline (May 4) for ourselves for info-gathering from local organizations that might use community center space. (See below for details.)
o   We need to gather and process “business plan” info soon too. Once they have chunked  this work into small pieces, that committee will need help.
o   A grant-writing committee was set up. Though this work won’t start for several weeks, we would like to line up additional worker or advisor help.

      

In attendance: Trevor Russell, Susie Jones,* Melissa Beerworth, Ann Lemieux, Elizabeth Griffin,* Katrina Antonovich, Mark Hunziker,* Peggy Bushey*, and Judi Hunziker
(* indicates Board-members.)

Reports, discussion, etc:
▪The minutes of the March 16, 2009 meeting were approved. (moved by Liz, seconded by Trevor)
▪Mark reported that the “Citizens for Fairfax Community, Inc.” has been registered as a non-profit corporation with the VT Secretary of State; an Employee ID Number assigned has been assigned by the US Dept. of the Treasury; and our application for 501(c)3 status has been submitted to the IRS. (Each of these items is a prerequisite for the next.) We are hopeful that we will receive approval from the IRS by the end of May.
▪In the process of completing the 501(c)3 application, the need for having an effective, documented policy for avoiding conflicts of interest became apparent.
o   In order to be able to tell the IRS that we had such a policy and get the application submitted quickly, Mark emailed copies of a policy example available on the IRS’s web site to the Board officers. In accordance with the Bylaws, this Executive Committee approved the policy and the Board members present at this meeting unanimously confirmed the adoption. (moved by Trevor, seconded by Liz)
o   Following the policy will prevent the officers, employees, etc. and their relatives and friends from profiting unfairly from the activities of the CFC. It does not prevent us from doing things like hiring our brother to do electrical work or even being paid ourselves for work. It merely prescribes how we will ensure that, if we do so, it is in the best interest of the corporation. Copies of the policy are available from Mark.
▪The info-gathering on local organizations that might use community center space is underway using the form that was created and sent out as an email attachment last month. A few points were made regarding the process of gathering this info:
o   Being the next step in moving toward submitting grant applications, we need to get this done quickly. We set a two week deadline (May 4) for ourselves.
o   Please send your completed forms to Mark at 234 River Rd.
o   In addition to the essential information asked for in the form, it would be good to also capture the organization contact’s mailing address (to assure grant reviewers that these are real people).
o   Whenever you get a favorable response of support, please ask them to also write a brief letter of support. If easier, they can mail them directly to Mark or by email (mark@vtwellness.net).
▪Creating a “business plan” is not only something we need to do in order to detail how we can make a community center work, it is also a next step in preparing for grant applications.
o              Mike, Mary and Mark will meet next Monday to begin creating a business plan game plan. It may involve “chunking” the research and writing into small bits that many folks can then help with.
▪Grants:
o   Many deadlines for application for appropriate grants are in April and May; but we can’t apply until we receive 501(c)3 designation. So we need to be ready to do those applications immediately when we do get that approval. Gathering info and documenting support of local organizations is one thing we can do to prepare. Gathering and preparing the “business plan” info is the other.
o   Katrina, Mark, Trevor, and Liz volunteered to form a grant-writing committee. Susie will help as coach. Can anyone else help out –either as a worker bee or an expert advisor?
o   Katrina will solicit business plans from similar non-profit organizations, for us to use as templates.

Meeting adjourned: 7:47 pm (moved by Liz, seconded by Mark)

Next Meeting: May 18, 6:30-8:30 pm at the Hunzikers’ home

Agenda in brief:  Reports, discussion and “to-dos” re:
▪   501(c)3 status
▪   Local organizations’ support forms and letters
▪   Business plan info gathering
▪   Grant possibilities and application processes

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Hunziker, Secretary

P.S. Several folks who normally receive these minutes directly, did not. The problem seems to be rejection by your PCs' spam filters. I think I can fix the problem at my end; but if you don't see these minutes in your inbox in a few weeks, please let me know.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: