Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:49:26 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Tales Of Our Community
| | |-+  Sugaring On Hunt Street In The Old Days
« previous next »
: [1]
: Sugaring On Hunt Street In The Old Days  ( 3980 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 13, 2009, 10:39:57 AM »

Roberta Machia (Widow of Chuck) was our volunteer this morning delivering Meals on Wheels.  She told me that Tom, Chuck's younger brother, was utilizing Chuck's Sugarhouse and equipment this year. 

It reminded me of the days when Dalton & Grace (Gillin) Machia used to live in the big brick house on the corner of Main & Hunt Streets.  Dalton used to have his sugar arch set up outside the garage and used to boil his sap out there in the open.  I believe he used to tap up on the Charlie & Eula Gillin's place (Grace's Parents) and bring the sap down to his house on Hunt Street.  Not sure how many years that Dalton did that, but Chuck took over the Machia Sugaring Operation and did it up there where his home is.  Since Chuck's death, now his brother Tom is taking over the operation.

There are a few backyard sugarmakers in the area and the Machia Sugaring Operation is one of them.  Its a really nice hobby, although a lot of work, but those that do it really enjoy it.

If I get a chance and know when Tom is boiling, will go up and snap a photo of his operation.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: