Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:43:27 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Gargy The Gargoyle Is Back
« previous next »
: [1]
: Gargy The Gargoyle Is Back  ( 3257 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 17, 2005, 08:40:45 PM »

I didn't see Gargy the Gargoyle last fall when I was taking a picture of the one time North Fairfax Post office, but on tonight's channel 3 News, Jack Thurston got a real nice little story about him:

Busy Route 104 runs through Fairfax, but one resident here has no complaints about the buzz of traffic. Although I don’t have a picture of him, Gargy the Gargoyle was stolen.  Sally Beyor Gargy's owner is thrilled to have her statue back. He was stolen earlier this summer. They looked down the road to try to find him, and but couldn't find him, however sometime late Tuesday night -- under the cloak of darkness -- anonymous gargoyle-nappers returned the statue. After quite a journey. She was really excited and called up everyone to tell them how great it was. Sally found the lawn ornament with photos showing him at Mount Rushmore -- by the geyser Old Faithful -- and hanging out near the Grand Canyon. “I think it's great. He went all over.”, Sally told Jack Thurston of Channel 3 News.  Jack Thurston said, “Whoever stole the gargoyle must know Sally, because they cut a hole in it and put a frog inside. Sally collects frogs. She has over four-thousand.”  Sally thinks it would be nice to know the whole story, and why they did it.The globe-trotting thieves even left Sally twenty bucks. Gargy cost sixteen ninety-nine. The money is a nice bonus, but the intrigue and the fun of this mystery is priceless. Sally Beyor said, “Oh my, it looks like he had a ball. When I went out west with my parents, I loved it. It's just a shame Gargy isn't talking about his exciting adventure.

Since I don't have a picture of the actual Gargy the Gargoyle, below is a similar picture I got off the internet:

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : August 19, 2005, 10:13:18 AM »

Stina had a number of photos in Thursday's Messenger also:

Gargoyle returns to Fairfax owner with trip photos

By STINA PLANT
Messenger Staff

FAIRFAX — Sally Beyor noticed he was gone in mid-June. One of the two gargoyles that have sat atop the stone pillars at the end of her Fairfax driveway for two years had disappeared. She called her lawyer to make a note of it and then wrote off the incident to pranksters.

It turned out that the gargoyle was just taking a vacation. Perhaps inspired by the French film “Amelie,” or the traveling lawn gnome in the Travelocity.com commercials, this gargoyle had an adventure of his own. He returned to the same pillar top sometime late Tuesday night as if nothing had happened.

“I was sitting outside having coffee with my tenant, Tim (Emond), when he looks up and says, ‘Hey, the gargoyle’s back,’” said Beyor. Beyor’s reply was “Maybe there’s a note,” and to her surprise there was.

“Had a great trip. It’s good to be home! Gargy,” is the inscription on the note that also came with a twenty-dollar bill and photos of his trip.

For an inanimate object, Gargy has an impressive travelogue. The photos document stops in Oklahoma, Colorado, Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota, Bryce National Park and Canyonlands National Park in Utah, Old Faithful and Devil’s Tower in Wyoming, and by some Redwood trees presumably in California.

“It looks like he had a good trip,” said Beyor.

Since Gargy isn’t talking, Beyor and her family are stumped as to who accompanied him on vacation. The only clue is a set of hands with a black wristwatch in one of the photos.
To add to the mystery, Gargy returned with a small hole in his plaster frame inside which was placed a small frog figurine. Beyor has a collection of more than 4,000 frog figurines.

“It has to be someone that knows me,” she says of the frog placement. Beyor also remembers photos, much like Gargy’s, of family trips taken when she was a teenager. “I’ve been to all those places,” she said.

Cautious family members urged Beyor to report the incident to the state police who told her they would call her back Wednesday afternoon. Beyor is less worried than intrigued.

“I was just happy to get him back and then I said wow, this guy’s been all over,” said Beyor. She would like to find out the identity of Gargy’s travel mate or mates to satisfy her curiosity.

The money in the note was probably meant to replace the damaged gargoyle, but Beyor has no plans to replace the traveling statue.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: