Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:49:22 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  "Praise In Public, Censure In Private"
« previous next »
: [1]
: "Praise In Public, Censure In Private"  ( 4732 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 09, 2009, 09:19:18 AM »

Albert Brodeur brought up the "Praise In Public, Censure In Private" policy in a post he made recently and I think it is a pretty darn good policy.  Unfortunately, the censure part is what sells newspapers.  I know quite a few present and past reporters down at The St. Albans Messenger and a few years ago we had some negative things going on here in town, so one of the reporters gave me a call.  I told her that I would provide absolutely no information to her to assist her in her story and asked her, "Why do you do that?"

She explained to me that that type of thing sells newspapers and she had an obligation to write the stories.  I guess I understand it, but still don't like it when it applies to my town.  If I remember right, Albert's posting was in regards to the Wolcott Fire Department.  I am sure that our own Fire Department has things that go on that they keep to themselves as well as other organizations in town, and as these stories get told, they sometimes get embellished a bit and the actual truth never spreads as fast as the erroneous rumors.

Henry Raymond
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : February 09, 2009, 11:30:41 AM »

If it's an internal matter, i'd say keep it internal.  If it somehow leaks to the public and involves the public n some shape or form - then it's probably best to disclose it.

Just announcing that you've had an internal issue and what your doing to address it, when there's really no outside pressure or reason to do so - seems like attention-seeking to me.  Kinda like someone was bored and wanted to spice things up.

Now, pertaining to the Wolcott Volunteer - leaving the scene of an accident you're involved in....  well, that's pretty bad - even if it's a mild fender bender -  an attempt to exchange information should be made - even if it's " My name is blank here's my phone number and where i live.  I'm on my way to a serious fire - please call me at this time."

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : February 10, 2009, 01:23:31 AM »

If I read the article correctly, the guy said he was in contact with the sheriff afterward. I guess I don't see what all the fuss is over. It sounds like he rolled his truck practically next door to the fire station, ran the remaining 1000 yards or so to get there, did his duty and contacted the sheriff afterward. There were no other vehicles/persons involved. I think he was sadly mistreated. If he had not bothered to report the situation after, that is a different story, but to dismiss him seems foolish. It's a volunteer service. Unless of course there is far more to the story that is not being told....

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: