Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:36:12 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Picture of the Day 2/9/09 and Blog-2009 NASCAR Preview
« previous next »
: [1]
: Picture of the Day 2/9/09 and Blog-2009 NASCAR Preview  ( 4964 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : February 08, 2009, 11:30:42 PM »

Picture of the Day February 9, 2009

Mt. Mansfield was missing Sunday morning

2009 NASCAR PREVIEW
Posted for Monday February 9th...................
As we look into the crystal ball, what do we see?
THE TOP STORY OF 2009
The top story of 2009 will be the top story of the off-season: The Economy. There were so many driver changes and mergers that you really do need a scorecard to see who is driving what. And in the process, a lot of people got laid off. The top flight teams should be able to hold their sponsorships for the year. The interesting bit will be the lesser teams, and the drivers. How long can a sponsor continue to put money into a car and driver that continually finishes outside, say, the top 25, or 30? If they aren't in the top 35 in points, then they risk not making the field. There may come a time when some races may not have a full 43 cars. I see this happening with the races out west, not so much in the southeast.
As for the fans, why go and spend a ton of money at the track when you can stay home and watch it for free? Look for some empty seats, or some real bargains to get people in the stands.
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
The three contenders that I know of, are Joey Logano, Scott Speed, and Marco Ambrose. Logano seems like the odds on favorite, at 18 years of age, being the new Wonderkid, and inheriting Tony Stewart's #20. I'm not so sure. Scott Speed has been around, a little while anyway, with a not so great F1 career, but having success in the ARCA series last year. I think it might be close.
SURPRISE OF THE YEAR
I think everyone is expecting Tony Stewart to have trouble with his new team. If he can stay consistant, and finish in the top 10 in points, that may be the surprise of the year.
COMEBACK OF THE YEAR
Mark Martin running full time in the #5 Hendrick car. After being a part-time player the last couple of years, he could make a run for the title.
CHAMPIONSHIP
Is it possible for Jimmie Johnson to win 4 in a row? You almost hate to bet against him, but..............
If Kyle Busch can repeat the year he had last year, but not fold up when the Chase starts, he might have a chance.
Carl Edwards may have the best chance of upstaging the field. A lot of people can think he will win.
Jeff Gordon, Dale, Jr., Matt Kenseth, are others that if they can be consistant, can make a run for it.
I'm picking Edwards.
DAYTONA 500
Stand on the flag stand, toss a penny into the air as they come down to complete lap 1, and whoever the penny hits, has a chance of winning it. Harvick and Newman were both surprises the last couple of years, so it's anybody's race.Tony Stewart starts his new team off on the right foot with the win.

Anyone who would like to toss in their two cents, hit the reply button.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
treebeard34
: 103

« #1 : February 09, 2009, 10:11:39 AM »

Good thoughts Mike, after watching the shootout the other night, and seeing the way those cars are bouncing around, I thenk the winner is going to be the most patient guy who survives. i will predict a record number of yellows, with either Matt Kensith , or Jeff Burton bringing home the checkered.

Mark Teague
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #2 : February 10, 2009, 07:00:18 AM »

I will go with Mark Martin, no one has more patience or class then him.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: