Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:54:15 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Lots Of Suggestions For The Mailbox And Icy Driveways
« previous next »
: [1]
: Lots Of Suggestions For The Mailbox And Icy Driveways  ( 3185 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 27, 2009, 08:18:32 AM »

Well, I have received lots of suggestions regarding going out to get my Free Press and finding it isn’t there.  The paper box is hard to see into because it appears like a dark hole, so the following item would work well on a mail box for someone who can’t tell if the mail has come yet, but from what I could see, wouldn't work on a paper box –

I don’t have that problem as I have a little yellow flag that comes up when the mailman opens the mailbox to deposit mail, however, some of you that can't see your mailbox, that might be an idea.

Received another note from JoAnne and something that her father Roger Lavallee had:

Hi Henry,
The Gardeners Supply ( where 4 Seasons Gardening was) on Marshall Ave in Williston, has YAKTRAX walkers. They fit over your regular shoes or boots. My dad used to leave them on his shoes he went after the mail with, and didn't have to keep putting them on and off. I have a pair for the mail delivery on icy days. You can drive with them on.

My Dad also had a system for his mail that might work for your paper. It had a device for the mailbox, and another in the house that sounded an alarm when something was placed in the box. Be sure to let your carrier know if you do that, so they are not surprised by a device in the box. Radio Shack would probable carry it.

JoAnne

Not sure if the YAKTRAX JoAnne is talking about is the link that Matt Soule gave at:

Back when we lived on Fairfield Ridge, the house was on a hill and the barn below the hill.  On rare occasions, the January thaws sometimes caused the hill to be glare ice.  We had several pair of what was called creepers that you could strap to your boots that would help you get over the icy spots.  They were actually very similar to those at cozywinters, but just hooked with a strap around the arch of your foot, so they fell off easily.

Hope my daughter next door isn’t reading this as I know she has called on icy days and said, “Dad, don’t go out of the house until I go over and put some salt on your driveway.”

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : January 27, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »

Below is a photo of the YakTrax that JoAnne Wilkins was talking about.  She says she can actually drive the car with them and they work great.

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #2 : January 27, 2009, 08:55:44 PM »

Your daughter is reading this and YES, let me get the ice cleared up PLEASE when it comes.  I wish I would win PowerBall and then you would have a heated driveway!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: