Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:01:32 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Deacon Ratte Speaks Out In Messenger Article On Donald Fell
« previous next »
: [1]
: Deacon Ratte Speaks Out In Messenger Article On Donald Fell  ( 5745 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : July 16, 2005, 09:05:56 AM »

Deacon Stephen Ratte of Fairfax, shown above, says Fell accepts death penalty

Murderer converts to Catholic faith inside local prison
By LEE J. Kahrs
Messenger Staff Writer
ST. ALBANS TOWN — A federal jury in Burlington Thursday sentenced convicted murderer Donald Fell to death. Today, a local prison deacon who counsels Fell says the 25-year-old has accepted his fate.

"He's holding up well," said Deacon Steve Ratte, 69. of Fairfax, in an interview this morning.  “He has faith and he’s accepting.”

Ratte has defended Fell’s life since the sentencing phase began.  He met with Fell last night at Northwest State Correctional Facility (NSCF), where Fell has been lodged since his capture in December 2000.

Ratte works for Vermont Catholic Charities and has been involved in prison ministry for roughly 25 years. He is currently serving as prison ministry coordinator for the Diocese of Burlington.

Ratte also conducts weekly Catholic services at the prison here. He said Fell has been attending faithfully in that time. Ratte said he has been counseling Fell at NSCF since 2003.

Fell, 25, was convicted last month of killing Terry King, a woman he and friend Robert Lee carjacked and beat to death in 2000. Fell and Lee drove King from Rutland to New York State before kicking and stoning her to death.

Fell and Lee also killed Fell's mother, Debra, and her friend, Charles Conway, by stabbing them to death and slitting their throats. It was in fleeing those crimes that the carjacking of King took place. Lee hung himself in a cell while in custody.

Because King's was an interstate murder, the trial was in federal court, and the federal justice department insisted on prosecuting this as a death penalty case, even though Vermont has no death penalty itself.

This was the first death penalty trial in Vermont in over 40 years.

Ratte said he has gotten to know Fell "quite well" since he began meeting weekly with him in 2003. The two men share time reading the Bible, and Ratte offers counseling, and explains the teachings of the Catholic Church in response to Fell's questions. Fell was subsequently baptized, then confirmed by a Catholic priest at the prison.

"He's not bitter," Ratte said today. "He's resigned to what happened. He has a deep faith and that's what holding him up."

The weekly meetings will continue, Ratte said, as long as Fell is lodged at NSCF in federal detention. Fell will ultimately be moved to a federal penitentiary, where he will remain on death row, pending a successful appeal or until his execution by lethal injection.

Ratte hoped Fell would receive a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of parole, saying the young man's life is worth something.

In a written statement to the Messenger earlier this week, Ratte said he believes Fell would be a positive influence on his fellow prisoners if his life were spared. Contrary to what prosecutors have claimed during the trial, Ratte said Fell is not beyond rehabilitation.

"Mr. Fell's life as a "free" man has been lost. Justice has been served," Ratte wrote. He said if Fell had been granted life in prison and continues his reading, classes and work opportunities at a federal penitentiary, "he will be a positive influence on his associates in prison and he will realize his potential to succeed and make a difference in his life and surroundings."

In closing, Ratte said Fell had no family support during the trial, and made a final pitch to spare his life.

"The fate of Donny Fell will be announced soon and then may be forgotten by the press and newspaper readers." Ratte wrote, "but the manner in which we treat our criminals has a lasting effect, as it reflects on the moral fiber of our society in our state and in our nation."

Testimony in court about Fell at the time of the murder described a man Ratte said he did not recognize. Ratte used words like 'sociable,' 'shy' and 'soft-spoken' to describe Fell, whom he said listens intently and likes to read, particularly historical novels.
"Donny's not a steeled, hard person who has no sympathy for anybody," Ratte said. "As I sat in court, hearing those horrendous things, it was like hearing about someone else, not the person I know."

While the prosecution painted Fell as cold and unemotional, Ratte said that is a deceiving portrayal.

"Donny doesn't show emotion the way some people do," Ratte said. "He isn't one that breaks down quickly, but he did have a lot of remorse before the trial for the victim and her family."

Ratte said he and Fell have talked about death, and that Fell has accepted his fate.

"He doesn't avoid it, he faces it head on," Ratte said. "He has said, 'What they want is what I deserve."

Ratte made a point of stating that opposition to the death penalty in no way diminishes sympathy and deep regard for the family of Terry King.

"Her family has been experiencing deep sorrow, pain and loss since this tragic event four and a half years ago," Ratte said. "Their lives have changed a will never be the same again."

Fell's attorney read a statement from Fell in court after the sentencing yesterday. It was the first time Fell has addressed the family of King and the JIL In the statement, Fell thank that jury for their heard wo and expressed his remorse to tl King Family
'He told me he wanted address the family and the jury.  Ratte said. "He said, 'I'm not going to write anything down.  I'm just going to speak from my heart."

Fell still wants to speak to the jury and the King family, Ratte said.

"He wants to express his sympathy and his regrets," Ratte said. "He didn't want a trial to spare the family"

Ratte said Fell wanted the same thing out of life as anyone else.

"This guy is someone who like all of us, wants to know there is a meaning to life, an that there are people who care about people."

Ratte was asked if he thinks Donald Fell will go to heaven despite the heinous crimes he committed. Ratte paused.

"I'll put it this way," he said "He was baptized and confirmed in the Catholic Church. I believe he will."

Ratte went on to say he does not believe anyone is condemned to hell, that individuals have to first forgive themselves.

"Donny's asked for forgiveness and I don't think anyone’s forgiveness is turned down," the deacon said. "I told him he has to forgive himself, that somebody died on the cross for him, someone higher than him.”

Ratte was asked what he has taken from the experience of knowning Fell.  The irony of his response was not lost on him.

“I’ve watched this person, someone who has been deprived a lot, and I’m amazed at his survival.” Ratte said.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: