Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:24:13 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Awareness of local fund raising activity
« previous next »
: [1]
: Awareness of local fund raising activity  ( 5046 )
greenek
: 54

« : December 21, 2008, 12:11:40 PM »

My wife & I are fairly new to town. This year we will be celebrating our 2nd Christmas here in Fairfax. Looking outside at the snow falling, with no projected warm weather over the next few days, it looks like we will definitely have a white Christmas!

When our son was growing up, we were always very supportive of local fund raising activities, whether it was a little league bottle drive, Girl Scout cookies or Boy Scouts selling popcorn. We were aware of those activities in our community as our son was a member of Cub Scouts and little league. It seemed like we were well connected with local groups, and their fund raising activities. It seemed like our son was always bringing things home from school, letting us know of different events going on in town.

Since our son is grown and off on his own, we don't have the same connection with school, therefore, we don't get the same visibility to fund raising activities.

I do try to read the Fairfax News, although sometime it is gone by the time I get to the store. I also keep current with the Forum here, which is a wealth of information.

I got to thinking about this as I was looking for snacks to have while watching football this afternoon. I found a near empty container of Trail's End popcorn, which we had purchased a couple of years ago from a former co-worker. Her son was in scouts, and was selling popcorn, and Trail's End was one of our favorites. Since it is just the 2 of us, it takes a while to go through popcorn. -;)

Earlier this year, my wife & I intended on buying plants at the little league plant sale. When we got there, we saw signs up along the outfield, identifying plant types reseved for pre-orders.  I know that there were some plants available for those who didn't pre-order, but it didn't have the right number and type of plants that we were interested in. We wound up getting our plants next door, at J&L, so we still bought local. We weren't aware that you were supposed to pre-order plants, as we don't have anyone in little league.

Sorry for rambling, but I am just looking at another way of supporting the local community. There are children in our neighborhood, but I assume that none of them are in scouts or little league.

Thanks!
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : December 21, 2008, 01:11:31 PM »

Greetings    I left Fairfax years ago physically, but never left it in spirit. The town, if it operates as it used to, has a BIG,BIG heart when it comes to supporting local causes, and I'm going to list just a few places or individuals who would probably direct your efforts to good causes.: either church or pastor probably has extensive lists of individuals who need assistance, Mike Cain, Peg Stewart, Susan Mitchell , Donna Meunier, Sherri Rainville, Angela Baker, Bob Horr or Jeff Meunier all know where help of the type you offer is needed, and where you can start. On the other hand, there are tons of terrific residents who also can and will assist you in your search.  The key is to ask, and then follow the suggestions.
I can tell you from years of experience, I never have lived in a town which can match the outpouring of support by local residents towards those less fortunate.  Hope you enjoy the town as much as I did. 
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #2 : December 22, 2008, 07:17:48 AM »

I am a father of one of those kids in little league and have been helping with the plant sale now for 8 years, my wife has been the coordinater for  most of that time. The reason we do the preorder is so we have solid sales numbers. Rain or shine the plants are sold. The last couple of years our little fund raiser has amounted to almost a full tractor trailer load. Which means the league can buy lots of uniforms and gear for the kids. It is great the way the community supports our kids. We have always tried to get word out to as many people as possible. In early April I will make sure there is a notice posted here on Henry's site, with contact info for all that would like to help out in anyway. We also put posters up in all of the local stores and around town. The sale is alway the first Saturday in May.
Mummy
: 280

« #3 : December 22, 2008, 08:04:40 AM »

I understand completely what Greenek means especally if you don't have family living here.  I have always enjoyed owning the "Entertainment Coupon Book" but once my daughter graduated from High School that was the end of purchasing it.  One year I had to call the school and ask to buy one.  I was just lucky with the timing because they had to open the boxes that were packed to return the unsold books.  Kids just don't go door to door for obvious reasons.  I think that was the last time I have purchased an Entertainment Coupon Book and I have not be asked to buy one or I would!

Oh by the way Girl Scouts Cookie (still $3.50 per box) Sales begin on January 2, if you are interested, let me know.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #4 : December 22, 2008, 08:20:20 AM »

Your just the type of folks we're looking for greenek.  Those who want to help their communities and who aren't already over-burdened with their too many fundraisers ( as is a common sentiment from parents of kids in multiple sports and extra-curricular activities).
Fairfax Fletcher Soccer Club has 1 annual Fundraiser which is  Little Caesars pizza, cookie dough, and Pie kits.  Monies raised go towards upgrading equipment and cultivating healthy turf for Grades k-6 youth Soccer for the 2 towns.
I'll be sure to remember to send you an email next season with all the specifics.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
logical
: 141

« #5 : December 22, 2008, 08:27:01 AM »

Henry,

If I could make a recommendation would it be possible to add a location on your forum specifically for fundraiser information?  I know that individuals often post this information on your forum but maybe it would be helpful for everybody if there was a specific location titled "Fundraiser Information" or something like that.

Just a thought.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #6 : December 22, 2008, 08:48:15 AM »

Logical - Have just added the board - Will see how it goes and if it isn't used, not a big problem to delete it.  Have a great day and thanks for the suggestion.

Henry Raymond
greenek
: 54

« #7 : December 22, 2008, 02:14:52 PM »

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm glad to support local activities.

Kevin
: [1]  
« previous next »
: