Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:40:45 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Tales Of Our Community
| | |-+  Barkyoumbs Look Back At Fairfax Egg Business
« previous next »
: [1]
: Barkyoumbs Look Back At Fairfax Egg Business  ( 5256 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 23, 2008, 08:21:10 AM »

The following story written by Lisa Boucher was published in the Friday, November 21, 2008 Edition of The St. Albans Messenger - Photos are courtesy of Reggie & Joyce Barkyoumb.  Many many thanks to Lisa Boucher for helping preserve some of the History of our little town of Fairfax:

What life's cracked up to be
Barkyoumbs look back at Fairfax egg business

By LISA M. BOUCHER
Correspondent

FAIRFAX -- Only a Vermont farmer can tell a tale of personal passion, modest beginnings, multiple disasters, hard work! long days, family values, love, pride, and sheer tenacity: then when he's finished, shrug his shoulders and say humbly with absolute sincerity, "Well, it's not much of a story."

The Barkyoumb Family Photo Taken When Reggie Was A Little Boy
Shown In The Front Row In Front Of His Mother

That is the case with Reggie Barkyoumb who wistfully relayed the story of the poultry farm he started 58 years ago on four acres of land he purchased from his brother-in-law. The business now sits less than a mile as the crow flies from his current residence.

No longer Hillcrest Poultry Farm, as it was known for 30 years, Barkyoumb sold -the business to his sons Gary and Chris, in the early 1980s due to health issues — the ", only thing that could make him give up the work he loved and business he started.

Over time the small egg farm wasn't able to keep up with the demands of the large grocery chains and the younger Barkyoumb's eventually converted to wholesale food distributors, Hillcrest Foods, in the early 1990s.

The brothers ran the business together for a number of years, and then Chris bought out his brother. The business has really grown in its comparatively short existence.

Reggie's wife, Joyce, attributes this to her son being "a real go-getter." She also noted that working in the family business was all the boys had ever done.

After nearly 60 years as a landmark on Huntville Road here, Hillcrest Poultry Farm/ Foods has moved its operations to Saratoga, N.Y. That, the company said, was due to space constraints in the converted barn.

The new facility consolidates work that was spread out across three facilities, and its location makes it easier for the company to service its customers in southern New England, Chris Barkyoumb told the Messenger in September.

Reggie bought the land here for $400 in 1950 and paid for it with chicken manure sold at $1 a load.

"I had a thousand chickens, $1,500, and a pick up truck," he said of the simple beginnings to his egg business. Eventually, the spread grew to the 12 acres it is today.

The first winter was rough for the new poultry farmer—a huge snow storm collapsed the building after only six months, Barkyoumb had to start over, although the kindness of friends and neighbors got the barn back up, it took about a year to replace all of the hens that were lost.

Reggie With His Chickens In 1950

Reggie's Pick-Up Truck

Reggie's First Chicken House Being Built In 1950

The First Chicken House Completed

The Chicken House Rebuilt After The First Disaster

Reggie married Joyce Hogan, more of a city girl, as he puts it, from St. Albans, in 1954. She willingly joined him in working on the farm, although she admits it wasn't a passion for her as it was for her husband.

Reggie, however, says he would happily do it all again. To which Joyce quickly adds, "Oh, not me, I wouldn't."

The couple raised four children in the little house they built next to the barn and the Barkyoumb family worked the farm together with the help of one hired man.

In 1969 the farm went to 'caged eggs' and was automated.

Until that time it was a 'free range' operation and all of the work was done manually

"The kids had their chores and homework to do every day." Said Joyce, beaming with a mother's pride at the memories. "We used to pay them 25 cents an hour."

She recants a story of one of their daughters who felt the pay wasn't adequate to support her teenage desires, so needed another job. She found one washing windows and also continued her duties on the egg farm.

A painting of the original barn and house hangs in a small den in their current home — barkening to simpler times.

"I was raised on a dairy farm, but I never liked cows," said Reggie. "I always loved chickens - it's something my mother and I used to do together."

By the early 1960s, the Barkyoumb's had amassed about 9,000 chickens which were then stricken with a disease and had. - to be replaced. That was the second time the business had to start over.

At the end of the decade their flock had increased four fold to about 38,000 birds - thus the need to convert from a free range to a caged egg operation.

It was only four years later, in 1973 when Mother Nature made another run at Hillcrest Poultry Farm, this time with a heavy windstorm that took the roof off the barn and 18,000 chickens were lost.

Friends and neighbors came through for a second time, the barn was fixed - the Barkyoumb's can't express their gratitude enough - the hens were replaced, and the resilient family was once again back in business.

Friends And Neighbors From Miles Around Came To Help Catch The Chickens After The Tornado

Once Again It Was Time To Pick Up And Start Over

"We felt bad to see the business leave Fairfax," said Reggie with the hint of a moisture in his eyes. "I haven't changed my address since 1950."

Then with the fortitude he is known for, "But he (Chris) had to do what he had to do."

Joyce & Reggie Barkyoumb (Photo By Lisa Boucher)
Aerial View of Hillcrest Poultry Farm

« : November 25, 2008, 09:22:12 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: